• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benjamin Lucente Suit: Fit Pics

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
Hey Ben - I stand corrected as I have a cary model and it does have slightly stronger, or perhaps more accurately "extended" shoulders, than the Scotts, Stewarts, Base S or V I have.

Funny, but it is not exactly more padded than my other Isaias, but it is definitely more "shaped" - is this how you would describe the shoulder in your suits?

And not to derail the tread, but I just came across a Carlyle model from the now defunct Enrico Isaia handmade line. Assuming it is a Euro market model, but any idea on the shape of those shoulders?

Yes - good way to put it. The Benjamins really are lightly padded but offer more shape and/or structure. The reason being that, off the rack, it works well for a greater number of people. Also the natural shoulder, while highly regarded here on the forum, is not nearly as widely sought after and/or understood by the general populace.

Never came across the Carlyle model - we had very few Enrico Isaia's come through unfortunately...

chriskl

Reaction score
eHaberdasher (or anyone who knows), how wide are the lapels on the Lucente?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice, I would of cuffed the pants though, plain bottoms are too casual consieder the ribbed stiching and everything.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chriskl
eHaberdasher (or anyone who knows), how wide are the lapels on the Lucente?

Lapel width is 3.25" when measured straight across.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

bazarov

Reaction score
I recently purchased a plain navy "Lucente" model model from Ben and I too can vouch for the quality and silloutte of the Benjamin suits. In my rotation, I wear RLPL, Isaia, Gucci (Zegna made) and a Corneliani and the Benjamin suit fits right in. I echo the observation that the fabric and the construction seem to be more in the Corneliani/Zegna league than the Isaia/RLPL league, but I really love the silloutte (very trim and contemporary, without being too fashion forward). The shoulders are more built up than my Isaias, but still quite soft and less structured than the Gucci (and my old Oxxford, which I've retired). And yes - the pick stitching is not that noticeable in real life. I'll post pictures when I get the suit back from the tailor!

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been moving toward the Italian suits. I've found that Isaia fits me really well, and I really like the soft shoulders of the Base S. I'm also about to order my first Caruso from Ben soon.

Having said that, I'm thinking that I need one fairly conservative suit for some business meeting/interview type activiites, and I've been honing in on the Hickey Freeman Madison - it's American-style with structured shoulders, without being too structured or boxy (e.g.: since JAB was mentioned, their style is too built-up for my taste). I tried one on and really liked it. But this Benjamin model looks like it might fit the bill, too. Any opinions on how this would fit in a Hickey Freeman-style conservative business environment? In real life, would you wear this in a room with a bunch of guys who have never seen a European suit in their life?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pendragon
Back in 1930 possibly. Not everyone wants to dress like Humphrey Bogart these days.

Your call. Well-dressed men do not wear their trousers on their hips.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
Your call. Well-dressed men do not wear their trousers on their hips.

+1
Wearing trousers at the hips is a current fad that will pass. It has come and gone before and will do so again.

foggy

Reaction score
Good to know also. Mine is due for delivery today. We will see how it works.

Originally Posted by bazarov
I recently purchased a plain navy "Lucente" model model from Ben and I too can vouch for the quality and silloutte of the Benjamin suits. In my rotation, I wear RLPL, Isaia, Gucci (Zegna made) and a Corneliani and the Benjamin suit fits right in. I echo the observation that the fabric and the construction seem to be more in the Corneliani/Zegna league than the Isaia/RLPL league, but I really love the silloutte (very trim and contemporary, without being too fashion forward). The shoulders are more built up than my Isaias, but still quite soft and less structured than the Gucci (and my old Oxxford, which I've retired). And yes - the pick stitching is not that noticeable in real life. I'll post pictures when I get the suit back from the tailor!

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
+1
Wearing trousers at the hips is a current fad that will pass. It has come and gone before and will do so again.

As will wearing trousers.

brittain

Reaction score
Im not really sure how anyone who describes himself as young can also say their waist is several inches above their belly button. but to each his own.

to the OP, I think the suit looks pretty good.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brittain
Im not really sure how anyone who describes himself as young can also say their waist is several inches above their belly button. but to each his own.
"Waist" is not a subjective term. It is the narrowest part of the torso. You can find yours easily. There's really no relation between the navel and the waist, except that they happen to be in roughly the same area. Here's a diagram: Waist in red, navel in green, hips below navel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads