• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why people like the Lanvin low tops, the profile is chunky and awkward and the toe is massive. Even with the patent leather toe and weird materials I think they look kind of dull. I've had the opportunity to buy the low tops in the black patent toe with satin body, black patent toe with wool body and the ones that sq4u has for $180 a pair, but I just didn't like them. The high tops on the other hand are great, I would definitely buy a pair if I found them anywhere near that price.

c00kz

Reaction score
sq's comments about lanvin sneakers reminds me of when people first wanted the break-down of 350 jeans- first it was the selvedge, then the MIJ. When those features were available for 80, it became all about the "sophistication of the cut", etc. Now it's **** like unquantifiable artisanal characteristics, etc.. There's a huge resistance to the idea that designer clothing can be arbitrarily expensive, go figure. MII does not make 800 dollar sneaks. Dust bags don't do it, calf skin, etc. Ironically, "you might pay a small premium for the lanvin name" had me chuckling.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Kangaroo > calf leather
More comfortable, softer, supple

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fuuma had a really fantastic post (may have actually been on SZ) summing up the whole price/quality thing. Wish I could find it.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I prefer the old sleeker soles and the lows need a baggier pant.

fuji no hate but your ps shoes are awful compared to lanvins

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like slim shoes, thats why I bought the paul smiths. I couldn't even wear Lanvins if I wanted too, my feat are too narrow for them and they slip. With all the hype on high tops there should be an official streetwear sneakers thread.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Suicmez
They look great with tapered jeans tucked in - I'll try to post a fit pic today.

on that note, what i'm wearing today:

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

In text form for Eason:
Shipley & Halmos shirt
Prorsum SS10 trousers midnight blue/black-ish (these things are the sickest pants ive ever seen)
Lanvin trainers
Lanvin AW10/11 backpack (just kidding. its ******* travelite but lanvin did have backpacks in its latest runway show!)

pplizz: are you saying you personally wouldn't wear lanvin clothes or you just think they suck in general? pretty much everything they make is amazing in all imaginable ways (construction, materials, cut, style, etc), particularly the winter stuff.

as everyone else has pointed out though, the stuff is ridonculous expensive.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
Lanvin AW10/11 backpack (just kidding. its ******* travelite but lanvin did have backpacks in its latest runway show!)
i think this should be a must cop for you sq. those backpacks looked crazy nice

Kill_switch

Reaction score
i dig lanvins in photos but i would never choose them over other brands because they are too "luxe", the design when paired with very simplistic trashed up clothing would just be too awkward.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
the lows need a baggier pant.
yeah that's true. if im wearing nudies with my lows i always choose the slim jims over thin finns.

Originally Posted by fuji
I like slim shoes, thats why I bought the paul smiths. I couldn't even wear Lanvins if I wanted too, my feat are too narrow for them and they slip. With all the hype on high tops there should be an official streetwear sneakers thread.

paul smith makes cool shoes too. i have a bunch as well.

ive thought it as well but then i think whats the point of having a streetwear sneakers thread when it will just be consumed by jcrew threads.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
This is actually simple and interesting to experience. You can easily run a group think on yourself and come out of the other end "feeling" the same sneakers everyone else does. Go to SuFu, start on page one of all the sneaker threads, and read several pages a day until you reach the end. That's all it takes. By the end, you, too, will be shouting "SICK!!" at all the *right* shoes and be dismissive of all the *wrong* shoes.

I've done this, it works.

I'm not sure if i want to get conditioned anymore. Then i'll have to add frikken moonboot sneakers to my list of "must kops", which is already getting pretty outrageous!

I think i'm content just marvelling at how people are able to work them into fits successfully. For now, at least.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
ive thought it as well but then i think whats the point of having a streetwear sneakers thread when it will just be consumed by jcrew threads.
The streetwear shoes and boots thread survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads