• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uvmboi13
CityConnection,

Can you tell me what model these are? I saw them once at a store and just realized I must have them for chemistry lab.

Picture%202_0_1.png

Keep in mind that safety glasses usually have to abide by standards such as: ANSI Z87.1 (2003) and CSA Z94.3. Check with your lab about if you need these certifications on the frames. Usually it will be ENGRAVED on the frame, NOT printed on.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sedig
I measured the frames I have now--they come out to about 48/19, but they are wire-rimmed, while the MOSCOTS are thicker acetate. The numbers work out pretty close, just distributed a little differently. I also did a little bit of to-scale photo-shopping, and it looks about right. You said this is correct for thinner lenses? What about thicker lenses? I think I'm somewhere in the middle... my perscription is OD: -4.5/-3.5/5, OS: -4.5/-3.5/175.

Maybe I'll just order both sizes and return the frame that doesn't work out...

Also, thanks for all of your input. This whole thread is a much-appreciated goldmine.

Yes, I agree try them both one BUT you're main concern will be your RX. It has relatively high cylinder. -3.5 is not very high but most places will charge you extra as it is slightly "out of range" which means that manufactures make it but charge a bit extra for its complexity. You should start looking into the price of lenses because they might run you as much as the price of the frames.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
would the moscot nebb fit asian faces, ie. no nose bridges?

I have no idea as I have never dispensed them before. I have only held the frames. But I am sure someone on the board with an asian bridge has them or has tried them on....

nightrune

Reaction score
how wide are the persol 649's across the face temple to temple? i find that i can wear pretty much anything as long as it's 145mm wide at minimum. are they still good or should i find a vintage persol ratti pair?

also do you think the james bond tom ford aviators were too small for daniel craig's face or have we just gotten too used to oversize frames? i tried them on fit well if a tad bit small but maybe they were just right.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nightrune
how wide are the persol 649's across the face temple to temple? i find that i can wear pretty much anything as long as it's 145mm wide at minimum. are they still good or should i find a vintage persol ratti pair?

also do you think the james bond tom ford aviators were too small for daniel craig's face or have we just gotten too used to oversize frames? i tried them on fit well if a tad bit small but maybe they were just right.

I have no idea how long the Persols measure across. I dont have any in front of me.

The sunglasses on James Bond look a bit small. I wouldn't say that they look terrible but they will seem small to some because it doesn't cover the full face sideways. I wouldn't make a fuss about it being small though. But those frames will not fit everyone because of the nose bridge...

debaser42

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I do not have any experience with them. BUT for their price and style, it is not bad. I dont know what kind of material they use but the price seems reasonable IF they are acetate frames. If they are using inferior materials, I wouldnt even look at them. But their style is basically the same as any other company riding the "vintage/retro boat". But for that price, that is reasonable.

I just recently had to buy my first pair of glasses (Grad school - thought I was getting reading glasses but needed a slight prescription) and did a lot of research about different places. Warby Parker has gotten some great reviews from people and the style and price are hard to beat. Their buy one give one program is a plus for anyone who cares (about other people) and their free shipping / no questions asked free returns is pretty awesome too. Mine just came today (Thompson Whiskey Tortoise) and I really love them. This being said, I've never owned another pair of glasses, but they feel much, much more well made than most of the frames anywhere within my price range (double or triple the price). I had never considered the plight of purchasing glasses until now - we get ripped off big time! So for my 2c, I'll probably end up buying more Warby Parkers - well made, seems to be a good company with great business sense and awesome customer service.

sm31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by debaser42
I just recently had to buy my first pair of glasses (Grad school - thought I was getting reading glasses but needed a slight prescription) and did a lot of research about different places. Warby Parker has gotten some great reviews from people and the style and price are hard to beat...
Yeah, this is interesting! Curious about City's thoughts ...

Mr Cuba

Reaction score
Prescription/RX Sports Glasses

I have very dry eyes which rules out contact lenses.

What is the best solution for somebody who wants glasses for sport?

I need solutions for the gym, running, cycling, soccer, rock climbing, ice hockey and anything I might want to try in the future.

For outdoor sports I require tinted and not tinted lenses for both sunny days and lesser weather.

I currently take part in these activities with blurred vision. I am confused by the products on the market and would appreciate any advice you have for me.

Thank you in advance

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like these Jil Sander sunglasses. I'm not sure what the quality is like but the Jil Sander logo at the temples renders them unsuitable anyway. A smaller rectangle frame shouldn't be hard to find, but I'm having trouble. Can anyone recommend one? I'm looking for higher quality brands with little or no visible branding.
9k5md1.jpg

sm31

Reaction score
CityConnection:
... I have a post on blog about buying online vs. buying in stores... but if you are buying online there is no point in taking it to your optometrist because they will source it out anyways. You might as well as go to an optical, maybe they will cut the lenses on site which will reduce costs...
Can you clarify what you mean by the term "optical" above?

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
I like these Jil Sander sunglasses. I'm not sure what the quality is like but the Jil Sander logo at the temples renders them unsuitable anyway. A smaller rectangle frame shouldn't be hard to find, but I'm having trouble. Can anyone recommend one? I'm looking for higher quality brands with little or no visible branding.
[/IMG]

just gotta check out classifieds in my sig
reiz frames are ridiculously nice. spectacles for humans carries them in SF

throw in some zeiss lenses laser-cut to measure and you're
bigstar[1].gif

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sm31
CityConnection:

Can you clarify what you mean by the term "optical" above?

Sorry can you find the whole post. I don't even remember writing that comment. What was it regarding?

sm31

Reaction score
Sorry can you find the whole post. I don't even remember writing that comment. What was it regarding?
It's here. You were replying to someone asking about buying frames online but bringing them in to a B&M to have the prescription filled. I wasn't clear on exactly what you were recommending.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sm31
It's here. You were replying to someone asking about buying frames online but bringing them in to a B&M to have the prescription filled. I wasn't clear on exactly what you were recommending.

Thank you for jogging my memory....

So to clarify what I was saying:
Optometrist vs. Optical
Optometrist: The doctor who does the eye exam, they may dispense as well
Optical: Generally an optician who operates the store

Optometrists generally don't cut lenses in their office. They will out source the "edging", which will drive costs up. Their lens price probably won't be all that competitive. Optometrists main source of income is their eye exams, not their eyewear. They generally don't have the same volume and turn over as the opticals.

Opticals generally WILL cut lenses in their own labs. This is generally reduce the cost of your lenses. Chances are their prices will be more competitive. Opticals dispense eyewear and that is their main source of income. They have higher volume and more turnover.

(We are comparing a good running optical to a good standing optometrist)

sm31

Reaction score
OK, thanks; got it!

Do you have any recommendations about figuring out a "good running [local] optical"? Are there particular things to look for or ask about, beyond price? Or is it more a question of word-of-mouth recommendations, etc.?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads