• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Stacks are often inappropriate except in strictly casual fits Actually, the Black Eyed Peas wear a ton of balla designer **** (whether they wear it well is debatable, but the kop is strong with them). And I think the short jeans are for hipsters into the cropped fad Fads are an integral part of fashion. Designers tend to cater to/form fads and if you wear designer items then you will also be part of a fad. Not necessarily a bad thing unless the fad is a bad one (baggy ass jeans of the 90s), it just is a characteristic of an era/generation. Fads generally swing from one extreme to the next, which is why the followers of the succeeding trend generally view the former fad as ridiculous /rant
I've never seen pictures of them. No reason to, I absolutely despise their music. I was more referring to how their music and popularity is likely going to be shorter lived than that of stacking or other clothing trends. I agree with everything you say in this. Also: I want Lanvins they are so baller but so expensive :<

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
man, sq4, I like your enthusiasm for clothes and ****, but you gotta take all of the above in humor. The made in Italy sneakers that all came from that same sole design (MMM, Raf, Balenciaga, Lanvin, CP, KVA, etc, etc) probably came out of a huge factory like Manifattura Fatturese, who churn those bitches at like $30/pair unit price max, and all of those shoes feature comparable materials/detailing level. It's why you see certain ones go on deep clearance, so that shops can collect back on line price, and they only pay like $100 for them sometimes, so the retail is more a function of how the brand needs to prop itself up, CP's are like half of what Lanvins cost.

You are right about the "old" lanvin soles. They were the same as current rafs, CPs, balenciaga, etc. Lanvin recently changed (aw08/09 were the last of the old I believe) their soles though and they are now exclusive to them (afaik). It wouldn't surprise me that they still get them on the cheap though. What clothing isn't marked up at least 300%? I don't know anyone that buys lanvin shoes at retail. My local guy gives me at least 30% off. Another dude that owns a womens store w lanvin told me cost on mens trainers is like 240. So yeah. We are still all getting ripped off. The same is true of aldens, balmain and RO tees. A large majority of the price ensures the stuff doesn't become ubiquitous. I was just enumerating their qualities. No way do CPs cost anywhere near 400 in materials.

Lanvin ~= Raf > balenciaga > mmm > CP.
Rick Owens are dope too but far less versatile IMO since they are so massive.
The only Dior homme ones I like are the Kris van assche ones w the bondage laces. The rest are too flashy like dsquared. Actual KvA's are cool too.

Listi. Pm me. I can hook you up.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
do you really need to think about this??? christ man. come on. soooo sick. those things will go with pretty much everything! they are way more luxe than the mmm high tops with the crappy gum soles. if you don't want those lanvins, share the link and ill insta-kop them so hard it will make jet's head spin around.
I wish I had $450 sneaker koppage power
frown.gif

jaac

Reaction score
i wish i had $200 sneaker power.
cmon cp sales.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Man, if i saw any of these chunky as hi-tops in a store i'd think they're all terrible. It really surprises me when one pair is said to be frikken cool, and another similar (to my eyes) pair is said to be terrible.

This is actually simple and interesting to experience. You can easily run a group think on yourself and come out of the other end "feeling" the same sneakers everyone else does. Go to SuFu, start on page one of all the sneaker threads, and read several pages a day until you reach the end. That's all it takes. By the end, you, too, will be shouting "SICK!!" at all the *right* shoes and be dismissive of all the *wrong* shoes.

I've done this, it works.

Stacks are often inappropriate except in strictly casual fits.

And cuffs are not? And DENIM is not? Thanks for the lesson ^^

you might pay a slight premium for the name Lanvin too. they are probably one of the most expensive designers you'll run into imo.

lol @ slight premium...

Originally Posted by jaac
i wish i had $200 sneaker power. cmon cp sales.

Same thinking.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
And cuffs are not? And DENIM is not? Thanks for the lesson ^^
You said pants dumbshit, pants /= jeans
facepalm.gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You said pants dumbshit, pants /= jeans
facepalm.gif

Dude, try to follow the conversation.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You are right about the "old" lanvin soles. They were the same as current rafs, CPs, balenciaga, etc. Lanvin recently changed (aw08/09 were the last of the old I believe) their soles though and they are now exclusive to them (afaik). It wouldn't surprise me that they still get them on the cheap though. What clothing isn't marked up at least 300%? I don't know anyone that buys lanvin shoes at retail. My local guy gives me at least 30% off. Another dude that owns a womens store w lanvin told me cost on mens trainers is like 240. So yeah. We are still all getting ripped off. The same is true of aldens, balmain and RO tees. A large majority of the price ensures the stuff doesn't become ubiquitous. I was just enumerating their qualities. No way do CPs cost anywhere near 400 in materials.

Lanvin ~= Raf > balenciaga > mmm > CP.
Rick Owens are dope too but far less versatile IMO since they are so massive.
The only Dior homme ones I like are the Kris van assche ones w the bondage laces. The rest are too flashy like dsquared. Actual KvA's are cool too.

Listi. Pm me. I can hook you up.

Du, the molding toolwork and production on a pair of rubber soles for a pair of sneakers doesn't really require parting of the seas, look up there at the DBSS jawnz, those soles were made for that one style too, the original goatskin Reebok Jam-esque DBSS's had a different sole. I'd say a pair of soles costs like 50 cents in the production process, the only sneakers I can see being different would be the Ricks and the Ann D's, which require more hand finishing work (but probably not too much, they are pretty ingenious in terms of feasibility of design vs finished product as a concept) and then there are oddballs like the old Damir Doma 'sneakers' which weren't even sneakers at all.

It figures that cost on Lanvins is 240 at line, but they do have to fund a lot more **** (lavinz are the cash cows) whereas CP do not advertise and don't do anything more than photograph each new model in a white paper-lined shadowbox. CP is the ultimate hustle.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man why is everyone obsessed with lanvins, id rather buy sneakers from a brand that i would also buy clothes from (who buys lanvin clothes???) so i can pair the two

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
haha that's awkward

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
hahaa @ aeglus

I only own two pairs of lanvin sneaks and two lanvin blazers.

Suicmez

Reaction score
Just have to chime in on the Lanvin discussion..
I recently got a pair of high tops (The white/grey ones from F/W 07), and they're just phenomenal shoes. To echo what Sq4 has been preaching:
The soles are really nice, never have I had a shoe with such a dominant step to them. The calf leather lining the inside is great, looks even better after wearing them for a few weeks. The outside is still very clean, and they have this shine to them, like they're outcasting lesser shoes..

@Listi, from university student to university student: Man, when I walk on campus with these, everytime I walk by people, I see them staring at my feet. Obviously if more people knew that I was walking around with shoes that cost more than their whole outfit, then they might be a little more inclined to say something. I'd only recommend them if you have a certain level of swagger to pull them off-but if you can wear that Yohji coat, you'll have no problem. They look great with tapered jeans tucked in - I'll try to post a fit pic today.
Only complaint is that I got a blister from walking in them too much on my left heel, but now that's not an issue, I had just never owned a pair of high tops, and my feet weren't used to it.
Now I just need to get a good leather, and I'll be happy (I'm looking at you, ToJ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads