• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile > Red Wing Gentleman Traveler

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
redwing sizing is pretty dumb (1.5 sizes large??? my foot measure almost 9 and 7.5 fit), the leather takes a lot to break in(black cherry anyway, Get Smart says the tan ones are easy to break in), and their QA is a bit suspect, but other than that I love them!

They aren't narrow, Id say medium as my foot is medium/borderline wide.

The black cherry color w/ white stiching is the best part IMO...after break-in GTs are really very comfortable, like wearing sneakers.

of course to each thier own

Black cherry kills all 1000 mile colors. I don't find them narrow either, and I'm just on the cusp of being an E width. I think most people just don't give them a chance to break in. One area the 1000 excels in is the soles/heel, but I had my cobbler put a stacked leather heel on my GTs, which is how RW should have done it.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
The fit and fish on the wolverine seems better. The Wolverine is true to size and doesn't require much of a break in period. After wearing the GT for 2 weeks they tore my feet apart and still weren't broken in. The aesthetics of the wolverine appeal to me more than the GT, in particular the material and wooden styling of the sole. I'm normally an 11, the GT 10 fit my toes and heel but absolutely were too narrow in the middle.

Pics, well I could take some but there are photos of both readily available. They're similar, but having them side by side the Wolverine feels like a more quality shoe. Also, I prefer the top few lace holders to be open vs eyelet on the GT, they're easier to put on and off.

sounds like you just have problems with your feet

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
sounds like you just have problems with your feet

Perhaps. I don't have fantastic arches but the foo foo corrective ones are way too thick to use. I hopped on one of those footmapping machines at CVS that measures your foot pressure, etc and it recommended the "540" orthotic inserts. I bought them but they don't fit well in any of my shoes.

In the past week I have purchased the wolverine 1000's, Timberland tackheads and a pair of allen edmonds, all of which fit just fine.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
forget cvs go to a running store

thomasec

Reaction score
Would the 1000 Mile boots work with a pair of slim-straight jeans, like the Skull 5010XX's?

ispace

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomasec
Would the 1000 Mile boots work with a pair of slim-straight jeans, like the Skull 5010XX's?

Of course, as long as they're not too sized down. The tops of the boots are quite fitted. These look slim straight but you may not want to roll up as high:

DSC_0157.JPG

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Bulbous toe shaft?
Too narrow?
Too hard to break in?

Are we talking Keds or are we talking the Red Wing Gentleman Travelers?

RESPECT THE GT.

And it will respect you back.

That is all.

supastylin

Reaction score
This may be the dumbest question in the world but needs to be asked nonetheless:

Are you supposed to wear the 1000 mile boot with the leather tab attached to the shoe laces? I am referring to the one that comes attached to one of the shoes.

Obviously if it were made of plastic/paper I would throw it away, but I just want to make sure it's not there for a functional reason.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
you really feel they are true to size? I'm a 12 in a lot of shoes, an 11.5 in Alden Indy and I took an 11 in the 1K Mile boot. These boots run huge. The quality is very high though, better then the GT for sure. Fit wasn't great for me so I no longer have these but a nice boot for sure.

The 1K Mile Boot runs big. I am a 12 in dress shoes and converse and an 11.5 in Alden Indy. I bought the 1K in brown in size 12 and they are way too big. I need to find another pair in 11.5 or 11.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the 1k much better.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn can't decide between Tan and Brown Suggestions?

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GT > 1000 mile boot. except for the lack of quick release eyelets. i hate that about the GTs.

Once they are broken in you will much prefer the vibram sole to the leather sole of the 1000 mile boots.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the 1000 mile is better in every area but the soles. Wolves would be awesome with a vibram commando sole

mikeeeey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
The fit and fish on the wolverine seems better. The Wolverine is true to size and doesn't require much of a break in period. After wearing the GT for 2 weeks they tore my feet apart and still weren't broken in. The aesthetics of the wolverine appeal to me more than the GT, in particular the material and wooden styling of the sole. I'm normally an 11, the GT 10 fit my toes and heel but absolutely were too narrow in the middle.

Pics, well I could take some but there are photos of both readily available. They're similar, but having them side by side the Wolverine feels like a more quality shoe. Also, I prefer the top few lace holders to be open vs eyelet on the GT, they're easier to put on and off.

Strange, I keep hearing about how the GT will break you feet before you break it in, but mine was strangely easy to break in. No blisters, no torn skin, nothing.

I even wore it for a road trip when it was merely 3 days since first wear.

I don't wear boots often prior to the GT. The only time I wore boots before that was when I was in military service. That pair really broke my feet before it breaks in.

To me, the GT is just awesome. Having said that, I don't mind a Wolverine to have a feel of how it really is .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads