• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
What's the best way to transmit the signal from the player to the Pre/Pro or AVR?
HDMI but I don't know if you have that option on the Nak...? Might need to use RCA outs. I run my Oppo 980H right into my Sony SXRD rptv. Or you could just use the Oppo as a CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that I have an 5.1 AVR (it's an Onkyo tx-sr801) and don't really plan to upgrade, what would be the optimal source for music? Should I consider a turntable? Is a high quality CD player the best route? As for inputs on my AVR I have RCAs, Coax, and Optical inputs.

Also, given that I have the 5.1 setup, am I going to get better performance playing music back in 2 or 5 channels?

What kind of music medium do you use most often and have the most of? If you have lots of vinyl, then get a turntable. If you have lots of CDs, then a CD player or some kind of streamer if you have ripped lots of them.

For playing back music, if you have Dolby Pro Logic II or Logic 7 (probably Dolby on the Onkyo), then music can sound pretty good (and often better) with surround, if your system is set up correctly. Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

--Andre

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F and A Y, thanks so much for your patience and knowledge.
worship.gif

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
HDMI but I don't know if you have that option on the Nak...?

Might need to use RCA outs. I run my Oppo 980H right into my Sony SXRD rptv. Or you could just use the Oppo as a CD/SACD/DVD-Audio player.

In the case of the later (just audio playback) what type of input do you like best?

Originally Posted by A Y
What kind of music medium do you use most often and have the most of? If you have lots of vinyl, then get a turntable. If you have lots of CDs, then a CD player or some kind of streamer if you have ripped lots of them.

For playing back music, if you have Dolby Pro Logic II or Logic 7 (probably Dolby on the Onkyo), then music can sound pretty good (and often better) with surround, if your system is set up correctly. Try it both ways and see what you prefer.

--Andre

I'm mainly a CD guy, but am thinking of adding a turntable to the mix and want to get some input as to whether or not it'd be worth it. Based on this wiki I read earlier today, it would seem to not be.

A Y, you mention that surround would be best only "if your system is set up correctly". What do you mean by this, and how can I go about verifying this? Are you talking about setting the level to each speaker, speaker placement, etc.?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Y, you mention that surround would be best only "if your system is set up correctly". What do you mean by this, and how can I go about verifying this? Are you talking about setting the level to each speaker, speaker placement, etc.?

Basically that you have the surrounds in the right place, the levels are matched, the distances are matched, and that your system is well-calibrated.

--Andre

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QUESTION: DO you folks know of an "audiophile" lists of great (very well recorded) vinyl LPs? Reissues or original pressings, does not really matter.

Now that I dialed-in my audio system's sound, I am growing frustrated with a number of boneheaded recordings that I have collected over the years.
Need help to avoid buying garbage in a future.

Please advise.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than Martin, Antonio and the LACO, the artists are unknown to me.

Your recordings? Martin's in Atlanta.

ad_infinitum

Reaction score
This is what I have so far:

2235.jpg

and this:

A25.jpg

+
sl-pj45.JPG

Plans for the future: Rebuild/refinish the speakers, maybe find a nicer cd player, any suggestions for the turntable + a nice set of headphones and I am set for a while...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Other than Martin, Antonio and the LACO, the artists are unknown to me.

Your recordings? Martin's in Atlanta.

I don't know Martin unfortunately.

kruze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ad_infinitum
This is what I have so far:

2235.jpg

and this:

A25.jpg

+
sl-pj45.JPG

Plans for the future: Rebuild/refinish the speakers, maybe find a nicer cd player, any suggestions for the turntable + a nice set of headphones and I am set for a while...

No joke but my grandma has this exact setup. Not sure if this is a new retro model but she's had her system for over 20 years and the Technics player for probably 7. Great sounding system. The cabinets seriously have to weigh like 40+lbs a piece. Solid oak or walnut or whatever.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kruze
No joke but my grandma has this exact setup. Not sure if this is a new retro model but she's had her system for over 20 years and the Technics player for probably 7. Great sounding system. The cabinets seriously have to weigh like 40+lbs a piece. Solid oak or walnut or whatever.

One inexpensive way to upgrade that system is to pick up a higher resolving CD player like the Oppo BD-83 BluRay player.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One inexpensive way to upgrade that system is to pick up a higher resolving CD player like the Oppo BD-83 BluRay player.
That's a very good system for reasonable money. Look into getting an Oppo BD-83 down the road. Terrific BluRay video and sound quality.
You are welcome. You may want to look at any Oppo 980H that may be around (I think some dealers still have them-very good DVD-Audio playback as well as SACD, great video). Decent playback for...
Also, if you want a decent CD player upgrade, you can get an Oppo 980H for just $170. And it does great DVD playback as well as DVD-Audio.
My $170 Oppo crushes it with its much more recent chips.
ou would be amazed at how good CD sounds on my Oppo 980. Prices for quality digital have dropped like a rock. Still a ways from a Benchmark DAC but impressive nonetheless.
You can buy a nice Oppo player with fairly good CD playback for $160 is that's important to you.
Do you get a stipend for every time you mention Oppo? The guy posts a Marantz 2235 and you suggest a BluRay player. WTF?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Do you get a stipend for every time you mention Oppo? The guy posts a Marantz 2235 and you suggest a BluRay player. WTF?
eh.gif
Just trying to suggest a reasonable upgrade path as that Technics is a weak spot in his system and upgrading that will pay dividends. There are other CD mfrs I can recommend as well but Oppo is the sound leader at the lower price point in my experience listening to a friend's 83.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79

Oppo doesn't need anyone to hype their products. You would be hard-pressed to find negative reviews for any of the products they currently have on market or have ever offered. Dollar for dollar they are the best out there by far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads