• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cliftons fit .5 too big, both in my experience and consensus.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Hoping someone can help me out with a sizing issue. I bought a pair of MacNeils in my usual, measured shoe size of 11D. They seem a little tight and short in the toe area. I also have a pair of Cliftons in 11D that fit perfectly.

Anyone else have a similar issue with MacNeils fitting a little small? Or should I expect them to stretch a little when broken in? I've worn them twice and can't really decide. I just ordered a pair of 11 1/2 to compare, but wondering what others' experiences have been.

same experience for me with shell macneils, I sized up a half size in length to guard against and the toe box was still too shallow, making the shoes unwearable for me. If they had a broader toe box I'd have been fine.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this is the case with their 0 last (or 8? the one for hampstead) on a variety of models. i have to size up to 10.5D (from my regular size in 10D in most AE) due to the lack of room in the toebox. for shell, it won't let up. you better size up and deal with a tad bit of looseness with an insert or thicker socks than to deal with a cramped shoe.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
If they pop up on shoebuy it's easy to get them at about 20-30% off using discounts and cashback.

Shoebuy doesn't allow discounts on Allen Edmonds. Right?

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Shoebuy doesn't allow discounts on Allen Edmonds. Right?

Most don't but I've gotten some to work.

At worst you always get the 10% member discount along with cashback from b of a or bing.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of the new AE 5th street bal boots (AE samples in burgundy shell) from member rebel222. I think they look really cool. I'll post a detailed review when I get them early next week. From the looks of it, I think AE has a winner. For those who don't know, these are the #5 last, same as park avenues.

rxJ68.jpg

ijBcb.jpg

politico

Reaction score
E is great for those of us on a budget.

I picked up some closeout Soho's in cognac. They're great shoes, look amazing, and I get tons of compliments. It's a shame they discontinued such a good looking shoe.

any insights into why?

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by politico
AE is great for those of us on a budget.

I picked up some closeout Soho's in cognac. They're great shoes, look amazing, and I get tons of compliments. It's a shame they discontinued such a good looking shoe.

any insights into why?

It simply is how AE works. If you see a AE shoe you like, don't wait to buy it.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Hoping someone can help me out with a sizing issue. I bought a pair of MacNeils in my usual, measured shoe size of 11D. They seem a little tight and short in the toe area. I also have a pair of Cliftons in 11D that fit perfectly.

Anyone else have a similar issue with MacNeils fitting a little small? Or should I expect them to stretch a little when broken in? I've worn them twice and can't really decide. I just ordered a pair of 11 1/2 to compare, but wondering what others' experiences have been.

An update and another question. I emailed AE and asked them how they thought the MacNeils should fit. They said to manually bend them a little to help them break in; but they also said to size up if that didn't work. So kind of but kind of didn't answer my question.

I received the 11 1/2 today. Out of the box, before lacing them, they were huge. But when I actually laced and tried them on, they feel fine. No slipping in the heel. But there is almost 1" of room from my toes to the front of the toe box (it narrows a lot there).

Meanwhile, the 11 does not feel so bad now; but could just be my imagination. Plus, my cobbler said he could stretch them no problem.

I'm tempted to go with the 11 1/2. But wondering when they break in, will they a) conform to my foot and feel nice and snug (but not tight) or b) stretch out and I will always be feeling they are too big.

Any further opinions?

And BTW, these are not shell; just regular ol' calfskin.

Thanks again!

P.S.: Those boots are awesome.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Does anyone know if the model that previously went by the name of Clifton is now called Van Ness? I saw a pair of Cliftons at Nordstroms in a really nice looking brown, just a remarkably attractive looking shoe. I see no mention of this shoe on Allen Edmonds site however.

Originally Posted by We Tigers
I wore my Cliftons to work today! I believe they were discontinued 1 or 2 years ago, though Nordstrom always seems to have them (and tends to put them on sale quite often, if I remember correctly). Checking the AE website, the Van Ness is a rubber-soled captoe oxford with a decent amount of broguing. The Clifton is actually a captoe blucher with simpler broguing (just single dots whereas the Van Ness has the repeating pattern). I think the Benton is the closest thing AE has to it on the website right now, though the Benton's laces go one pair of eyelets further and the Clifton has no broguing on the heel.

I really like the Clifton. It's a simple blucher that is a little more modern and relaxed-feeling than your standard cap-toe oxford if you want something that still looks simple and respectable without being the standard "interview shoe."

I had a girlfriend who loved my Cliftons - always commenting when I wore them. Plus, they are among the most comfortable shoes I own. Good shape for my foot, I guess.

bmf895

Reaction score
Just received my first pair of Allen Edmonds, Dark Brown Fifth Avenue. I'm very impressed with the quality, especially at 20% off (Thanks Tony the Tailor!). I don't understand why some think they're blobby. The 5 last certainly isn't blobby. It has the perfect amount of taper that will never go out of style. Also, I love the fact that they have such a vast array of widths available which allows for a precise fit.

Balmoral boots look very tempting. Can't wait for the official release. Anyone have inside info? Fall 2010?

We Tigers

Reaction score
I'm getting myself a pair of burgundy shoes and am torn between the Park Avenue and the McCallister. The Fifth Avenue is sleek and clean, and the McCallister brogue-crazy. Both are on the 5-last and fit great. I currently have the Clifton (captoe blucher) in black and the Weybridge (wingtip balmoral with side perfing) in Chili. Any thoughts on which would fill out the wardrobe better?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Navy MacNeils just showed up (thanks Tony).
The flash helps bring out the navy color on one of the shoes. They appear almost black in indoor light.
image001uy.jpg

Here they are compared to some navy Lobbs I have.
image004ov.jpg

furosemide

Reaction score
Just went through an AE splurge! In the past two weeks, I bought:
Black Park Ave
Black Mora
Chili Delray
Walnut Westchester

Love 'em! Shooting for one for each day of the week. Starting to look at the Alden Oxford monkstrap...but I won't violate the AE thread with that.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
same experience for me with shell macneils, I sized up a half size in length to guard against and the toe box was still too shallow, making the shoes unwearable for me. If they had a broader toe box I'd have been fine.

Highly unusual as the MacNeil is on last #7 and is quite roomy for the average foot. It is true that the toe area lays flatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads