• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen-Edmonds - Quality?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your experiences with Allen Edmonds men's footwear, please. How well do they wear? Has the leather scuffed too quickly? How about original soles - how long have they lasted?
There's a pair of "the Alton" at Nordstrom's Rack - black kiltie slip-ons with the leather bow; the soles have black spots. Tag says compare at $225, selling for around $79.50 - something like that. Are AE's worth the high price, compared to most American shoes?
My Bostonian Oxfords didn't wear too well, but I only have them because I had to return a Clarks (unstructured and they started scraping, my first replacement didn't fit well either, and the cheaper Bostonians were about my last choice in the store with the credit-only situation. Thanks.
eh.gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They're a giant leap above most bargain-priced American brands (Bostonian, et al.), are a significant step below Alden, and likewise below much of the British footwear preferred by most SFers.

If you search through the AE threads on SF, you'll find highly conflicting opinions. Usually a cacophony of scorn and derision mixed with mildly apologetic praise mixed with defiant pride. There's no consensus here.

That said, I think they're just fine for my purposes. I have a lot of better footwear, but I enjoy my AEs. You can do a lot better if you're willing to pay more, but you can do a lot worse if you're willing to pay less.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think where I come out is:

- the biggest problem with AE is lack of great designs, despite them having hundreds of models. the 7 or 8 classic AE designs are great

- I wish they made more Chukkas and Boots. this is really where Alden kills them.

- retail price for AE is a bit silly to pay, they are frequently discounted

- used AE holds it value much worse than used Alden. you can frequently find barely worn AE in classic models for < $100 which less less than half of Alden.

- prices on Ebay or here on B/S are MUCH lower than Alden

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you think of the "Alton" as a classic AE?
teacha.gif

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Arrogant Bastard may be arrogant. And a bastard. But I completely agree with his answer.

EZ

suiturself

Reaction score
Also agree with Arrogant Bastard. As you've seen, it's best to get them on sale. There's no doubting their value at price points around $100.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
This is entirely false.

I agree. AE is below Alden no doubt about it, but by a slimmer margin than most on SF would like to admit.

However, Arrogant Bastard always backs up AE when the big timers bash them and suggest a pair of C&J's, so he's a good guy in my book.
cheers.gif

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have met the guys who run AE a couple of times and visted their factory last December. I agree with makewayhomer that there are 7 or so classic designs that I like and a lot of models that I I am lukewarm on or truly dislike - for example, I really like the MacNeil longwing derbies but really don't like Boston monk strap.

That said, the quality of AE's manufacture is good for a machine-made shoe. Is it better or worse that Alden? I would say that AE is on par - however, you will find features on run-of-the-mill Aldens that you will generally find on shell cordovan AEs, e.g. combination heels, leather (rather than PVC) welting, and to that extent I give an edge to Alden.

Suffice it to say, AE is generally way ahead of Johnson & Murphy, Cole-Haan, et al.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
[...]
That said, the quality of AE's manufacture is good for a machine-made shoe. Is it better or worse that Alden? I would say that AE is on par - however, you will find features on run-of-the-mill Aldens that you will generally find on shell cordovan AEs, e.g. combination heels, leather (rather than PVC) welting, and to that extent I give an edge to Alden.

Suffice it to say, AE is generally way ahead of Johnson & Murphy, Cole-Haan, et al.

Good post!
All too often in these 'compare the quality of...' threads, 7/10 posts just state 'this brand is better' instead elaborating what features they compared and how they arrived at their rating.
fing02[1].gif

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without bothering to search for previous posts on this topic, I was in a hurry to get some feedback before taking my current pair of shoes to a repair place on my lunch break....
You mention Cole-Haan; that was another pair I saw yesterday and found somewhata to my liking. Said to be "$295" but marked down at Nordstrom's Rack to something in the $50-60 range, the black oxfords have an effect in the leather finish that looks sort of like a whitewash for shoes. Don't know know what to make of it but any polish would over over this and alter the visual effect.

slappy

Reaction score
The only AE's I ever see at my Nordstrom Rack are really hideous looking. In fact Ive seen styles there that I had no idea AE ever even made. That said if you can find good AE shoes at yours, then Id say to jump all over it.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Without bothering to search for previous posts on this topic, I was in a hurry to get some feedback before taking my current pair of shoes to a repair place on my lunch break....
You mention Cole-Haan; that was another pair I saw yesterday and found somewhata to my liking. Said to be "$295" but marked down at Nordstrom's Rack to something in the $50-60 range, the black oxfords have an effect in the leather finish that looks sort of like a whitewash for shoes. Don't know know what to make of it but any polish would over over this and alter the visual effect.

Please, don't buy a pair of Cole Haan's. I made that mistake pre-SF.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
This thread amazes me. Member since August 2007. 855 posts. Feels the need to start a new thread asking about the quality of Allen Edmonds?!?

cgardel

Reaction score
frown.gif
I just clicked that attachment. Yet another "clever" design from Allen-Edmonds. Ugly shoes are no bargain regardless of price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads