• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What films have you been watching?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr Fox - Kind of funny

The Runaways - A fairly interesting movie which could have been much better.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AFG34
RocknRolla [2008] - some really hilarious moments; the guy who plays Johny Quids is amazing

Some British guy recommended this movie last weekend. I'll have to give it a shot.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Saw this the other night. Italian low budget film. Pretty respectable.

girl-by-the-lake-poster_280x415.jpg

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wanna watch zombieland.

but recently i watched

TheKillingPosterKubrick.jpg

Barry_Lyndon_A.jpg

PathsOfGloryPoster.jpg

Taxi_Driver_poster.JPG

Yiyiposter.jpg

My_Blueberry_Nights_poster.jpg

Chungking_Express.jpg

Not a fan of wong kar wai so far, but fallen angels is next up on my list. i like the visuals, but maybe i'm too much of a philistine. the story doesnt make much sense to me. the characters unlikeable.

also want to watch a single spark and last life in the universe

mono no aware

Reaction score
Sat down and watched Man on Wire through Netflix last night. Dunno how they managed to make a documentary about a tightrope walker so enthralling, but I'll be damned if they didn't pull it off.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
\\
My_Blueberry_Nights_poster.jpg

Chungking_Express.jpg

Not a fan of wong kar wai so far, but fallen angels is next up on my list. i like the visuals, but maybe i'm too much of a philistine. the story doesnt make much sense to me. the characters unlikeable.

I heard Blueberry sucked. I really liked Chungking Express though. Or at least the second story. The first was kind of blah. But the second one I REALLY loved.

I also loved 2046, but was tepid on In the Mood for Love, which nearly everyone else seems to have a hard-on for. Go figure.

I saw Crazy Heart on the plane today and even though it was enjoyable, it was a bit too formulaic. The "character" was less deep and believable to me than what I heard it compared to (The Wrestler). It was just to easy for Bad Blake to rectify his ways and redeem himself in the movie, in my humble opinion. That was an unrealistic feel-good twist.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Some British guy recommended this movie last weekend. I'll have to give it a shot.

I thought Rocknrolla was garbage, to be honest. Did not entertain nearly as much as Lock Stock or Snatch. Maybe it was just me, since I was drowsy and watching it on an iPhone on a plane last year. But I really don't think that was it.

However, Thandie Newton looked delicious in it as usual.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It just seemed to me that a lot of people really enjoyed his films and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I guess I'll have to dig deeper.

Blueberry nights was very beautiful visually, but I felt the film was kind of soulless. It was like beauty for beauty's sake. Bland, insipid characters, dialogue that seemed beautiful, cute. The film was almost impressionistic.

I don't know if the slow mo, low frame rate shot is his signature shot. I kind of like it, but I kind of don't.

chas

Reaction score
51m0Du5KkQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Liked it more thinking about it the next day.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some film buffs here for sure, I knew it!

I found the review of Hump Day very funny and intriguing. Duly added to my film list.

It reminds me of the mad excellence of Lars and the Real Doll which I watched a long time ago.

Last night I watched The Changeling. I found it disappointing though, and the acting was poor by a number of characters. I wouldn't particularly recommend it

GlenCoe

Reaction score
thoughts on Valhalla rising? should I watch it or no?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
has anybody seen entre les murs?

i don't understand the last two shots of the overturned chairs of the class reps. is it an act of defiance? are they resigning from their position?

anyways. i thought it was brilliant. very similar in feel to the fourth season of the wire.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
I'm a film nut.

Last 3:

'The Forest'- campy "˜80s cannibal horror
Fuller's 'Street of No Return'- underrated but scattered gem.
'Hail the Conquering Hero'- brilliant Sturges.

Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight

Diary of a Country Priest
88% on RT - Souls in crisis which have influenced a huge number of subsequent films, direct echoes in Scorsese's Taxi Driver

I think I will rent this, especially for its future influences.

The final scene in his '...Balthazar' is one of the most mesmerizing things that I have ever seen on film. I cannot forget it.

Originally Posted by Dr. Mabuse
For me it's Tarkovsky ,Bresson , John Ford, Fritz Lang, Murnau and then everyone else ( Bergman, Altman, Malick, Cronenberg, Hitchcock, Ozu ,etc.)

Kurosawa.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
I'm a film nut.

The final scene in his '...Balthazar' is one of the most mesmerizing things that I have ever seen on film. I cannot forget it.

Kurosawa.

RT "Often praised as one of the greatest films ever made" - added to my rental list!

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/balthazar/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads