• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sharks9022

Reaction score
How long did the collar of the boot hurt you ankles? My boots are killing mine, I've been wearing them for a week and a half or so. All I have is short athletic socks so I'm assuming taller socks would help.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Are you lacing them up real tight? I leave mine a bit loose and have had no problems with the collar hurting my ankles.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I am going to seal them and make them darker or not. I have been wearing them to work with khakis. They work great, look fine (not out of place) and keep my feet warm. A great xmas gift!

notsure2505

Reaction score
Try longer (and maybe thicker) socks. I haven't had any ankle issues since I bought my pair.

Here's my pair with a couple coats of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. I think they look great with the darker color.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
I don't think there's a better boot out there for the price. Mine have held up great so far in a Canadian winter. A coat of snoseal and you're set.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
GQ showed a pair in what looked like the same leather as the Katahdins.

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
GQ showed a pair in what looked like the same leather as the Katahdins.

Yeah, I believe those are going to be a Zappos exclusive available in March.

jacquedelaneu

Reaction score
Thread necromancy:

I just got my pair in the mail. They look and feel great. I appreciate the super waxy stiff laces.

I wanted to coat my boots on my own but it seems that Chippewa has started treating the boots before they ship them. They look just as dark as a lot of people's "after" photos here.

Can anyone confirm this new practice?

confab

Reaction score
Wore my Katahdins to a gig last week and they got pretty beat up in the mosh pit:

Tidied up with some Obenauf's oil:

The Obenauf's damped down the patina but that'll return with wear.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How come on some of the pics the Katahdin's have this bright orange trim between the upper and the sole, and on others it's dark brown. Are there two versions??

Also, anyone have more info on the new Chippewa that looks like the Katahdin but without cap toes?? Model name and place to buy? I checked Zappos but couldn't find anything.

evilbananas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
How come on some of the pics the Katahdin's have this bright orange trim between the upper and the sole, and on others it's dark brown. Are there two versions??

There is only one version; they start out orange and then darken with age. I wore mine all winter without treatment to the leather, and ended up only experiencing minor salt stains around the toe. This was easily remedied with a coat of mink oil, which also softened the leather significantly, and they came out looking new again. The heal has shown minor wear and the sole looks almost new. This is a very durable boot, especially for the price. I would not hesitate to purchase these again.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Just received my pair last night and I love them! Applied a coat of Obenauf's like most have, but it did it in a hurry so I'll probably do another tonight to darken them a little more.

If anyone is on the fence about sizing 1/2 down or going tts, IMO tts is perfect, considering I'm wearing them with medium weight athletic socks. I don't think I would've been able to size down comfortably.

I'll be wearing these constantly and will post pictures as they break in.

Also, I would highly recommend these to anybody considering them, can't beat the quality for $160 and they look much better in person, especially after the Obenauf's treatment. I would definitely purchase these again.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So does anyone have more information on the new non cap toes from Chippewa? They look pretty much like the Katahdins. Where to buy? Fit pics?
chippewa-boots-compass-show-0.jpg

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the quality of yours? I read the reviews on LL Bean and there are some complaints about the stitching coming out of the toe caps, or the heel separating from the sole, etc. Apparently the older Katahdins were better made. Also, are they treating these with oil before shipping them out, as jacquedelaneu above pointed out?
Originally Posted by Motorsport226
Just received my pair last night and I love them! Applied a coat of Obenauf's like most have, but it did it in a hurry so I'll probably do another tonight to darken them a little more. If anyone is on the fence about sizing 1/2 down or going tts, IMO tts is perfect, considering I'm wearing them with medium weight athletic socks. I don't think I would've been able to size down comfortably. I'll be wearing these constantly and will post pictures as they break in. Also, I would highly recommend these to anybody considering them, can't beat the quality for $160 and they look much better in person, especially after the Obenauf's treatment. I would definitely purchase these again. -226

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads