• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeing undershirt under white dress shirt?

bryce330

Reaction score
I recently gave up wearing a t-shirt under any kind of shirt (polo, dress shirt, etc.) when worn casually - I just came to the realization that it looks a little too college/frat-boy for my taste.

I still wear a crew-neck t-shirt under my dress shirts when I am wearing a suit and tie, more out of habit than anything (perspiration is not a problem for me).

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend a white v-neck.. If you aren't wearing your jacket, then it's obviously a casual enough situation where it doesn't matter if you can see the shirt underneath.
very good point.

i wear a t-shirt under a dress shirt, and afterward the t-shirt smells like my deodorant. on the occasions i've worn a dress shirt sans undershirt, my shirt smelled like sweat. i don't know why this is, but it is.

BjornH

Reaction score
Interesting - never thought about this.

Perhaps, if you are in the habit of puting on your undershirt right after applying deodorant, then the undershirt enjoys the same protection from sweat as your armpit does as some of the deodorant will be transfered by contact before it dries. However, a dress shirt is not as snug as an undershirt so it does not get 'immunized' by the deodorant.

How is that for a theory ?

B

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate to live in Indianapolis, Indiana, where most men wear shite for clothing. Anything I do to look nice stands out. If my shoes are shined I get comments.

My #1 shirt problem is what to wear beneath merino wool sweaters, especially those cut in a polo style. Wool irritates my skin to no end, so that is why I need an undershirt. But with an orange polo sweater, for example, I don't want a little triangle of a frikin white crewneck t-shirt sticking out. So what is the solution? T-shirts to coordinate with colors of sweaters? I haven't discovered the right color to go beneath orange. What I do now is wear a v-neck t-shirt, red, and keep a button on the sweater done so the t-shirt remains hidden. But has anyone found a better solution?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, I wore a white MTM shirt, and the outline of the V-NECK undershirt could be seen through the shirt. I have always felt this looks cheap and low-grade. I paid $120 for the shirt. A CREW neck undershirt should solve it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I am fortunate to live in Indianapolis, Indiana, where most men wear shite for clothing. Anything I do to look nice stands out. If my shoes are shined I get comments.

My #1 shirt problem is what to wear beneath merino wool sweaters, especially those cut in a polo style. Wool irritates my skin to no end, so that is why I need an undershirt. But with an orange polo sweater, for example, I don't want a little triangle of a frikin white crewneck t-shirt sticking out. So what is the solution? T-shirts to coordinate with colors of sweaters? I haven't discovered the right color to go beneath orange. What I do now is wear a v-neck t-shirt, red, and keep a button on the sweater done so the t-shirt remains hidden. But has anyone found a better solution?

Don't wear polos. Or orange, for that matter.

arc

Reaction score
That's some potent thread necromancy.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never wear an undershirt. Why would I add another layer of insulation and heat to a shirt with a buttoned up collar and a jacket? Nope. I will pass.

Also, it adds a whole new level of tuck difficulty when dealing with two layers.

Finally, it looks like **** if it is seen in any way, shape or form.

Mike

a-rock

Reaction score
I use thin grey vnecks for wearing under white shirts. Got the tip by searching here in the past and was surprised it works great. The vneck and sleeve hem is invisible even under a lightweight dress shirt. I find any sort of heather color works the best. Grey or oatmeal.

dropout5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kidkim2
On April 7, 1975, a lithe American Airlines stewardess told me how glad she was that, as she said, "You're not the kind of guy who wears an undershirt." Â

Haven't touched one since. Â (A tee shirt, not a stewardess.)

i love these kind of golden nugget quotes one carries with them for years after hearing. even better when with sexual undertones.

Diavolo

Reaction score
Look at wintersilks.com. They have superlightweight but warm and breathable undershirts in long and short sleeves with both crew and v-necks (for polos or open neck shirts). Impossible to see under a shirt, wash and dry easily and quickly and are light for packing.

repp_fink

Reaction score
I have a similar problem: whenever I wear undershirts beneath my open-collar dress shirts, the thick gold chains I like to wear slide around too much beneath my shirt. Normally, my solution is to not wear an undershirt at all, and simply allow my thick, curly chest/lower neck hair to keep my chains in place.

However, I also sweat profusely and constantly, particularly during police interrogations. Is there some variant t-shirt that will both absorb my comically abundant sweat and allow my luxuriant chest hair its full functionality / exposure?

Please advise.

menofcharisma

Reaction score
I tend to enjoy wearing V-neck undershirts, mostly because I don't wear a tie at work (casual offices are the best) but I wear button-downs frequently with two buttons open. I feel that a crewneck in those kind of situations look dorky.

What I do dislike is the fact that people can see my undershirt sleeves. I'm a fairly dark-skinned guy, so the sleeves do kind of pop out, especially when I'm standing directly under the kind of lighting you can expect in any office.

Cutting off the sleeves seems kind of drastic...and it would not help with perspiration in the summer, as I tend to overheat easily. Lucky for me though (or not so lucky), I sweat mostly on my face. A blessing and a curse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads