• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New George Cleverley range

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
They're not the same models using the same lasts...

They do not look the same .

The presentation in the shop is very poor.

I did find them quite disappointing aesthetically speaking

Is that a picture of a Foster's shoe? The leather on that particular one is rather poor quality - very disappointing.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
Is that a picture of a Foster's shoe? The leather on that particular one is rather poor quality - very disappointing.

to my eye it looks terrific, otherwise it wouldn't have built up the nice patina, not?

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
to my eye it looks terrific, otherwise it wouldn't have built up the nice patina, not?

I do not think it is a shoe that is that old - could be new.

The leather is course, the grain is fibrous and thus it is creasing in an ugly way - just as cheap shoes do.

I stand by my view that the leather on that shoe is nowhere near the quality it ought to be for the price.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
I don't think they've been made up especially for Leather Soul - looking at Cleverley's web site it seems they're available like that from their Bond St store.

Perhaps I should have expressed it, that they chose to use those with the rounded toe, which is of course an option on their shoes.

I find their RTW on par with other Brit shoes in the same price range. I'd say the semi-bespoke and AC range shine and are as good as others in that range... qualitatively. We can all argue design until the cows come home.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foster's "special last" is just the 88 last. It is not unique to Foster. It it just not used by EG on their current stuff. EG made stuff on it in the past.
I do not think it is a shoe that is that old - could be new. The leather is course, the grain is fibrous and thus it is creasing in an ugly way - just as cheap shoes do. I stand by my view that the leather on that shoe is nowhere near the quality it ought to be for the price.
That's wrong. The leather is not any different that standard EG RTW. The leather on my Foster is the same as EGs. I'm not saying EG uses the best leather available, but it is incorrect to say that Foster's offerings use inferior leather than EG.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Foster's "special last" is just the 88 last. It is not unique to Foster. It it just not used by EG on their current stuff. EG made stuff on it in the past.

The leather on my Foster is the same as EGs.

It might be..I was just disappointed by what was on offer...

It is a personal assessment.

Horses for courses..

I didn't think their lack of presentation skills is helping either..

nioh

Reaction score
Meh, they are not exciting at all.

shoefan

Reaction score
[QUOTE
George Cleverley has several workrooms based in London, Kent, Cornwall & Northampton (all in England) where they make their RTW shoes. The demand/orders for their shoes cannot be made in just one workroom. It is true that they have a workroom at C&J, BUT, they are made COMPLETELY different and to a much high specification. They are made using Cleverley's craftsman, Cleverley's designs, Cleverley's selection of leathers, and most importantly, Cleverley's lasts. Cleverley's head pattern cutter, Mr. Dominic Casey, spends 3 days in their London workroom and 2 days in their workshop at C&J overseeing all production.

I hope this clears up any confusion about the topic of Cleverley RTW and Crockett and Jones.

Aloha,

Tom

I call bullsh*t on the bolded part of the above. I have to believe this refers to the bespoke part of the business, which relies significantly on outworkers to do various portions of the work (also true of the other UK bespoke firms).

What part of the factory RTW business would conceivably be done away from the factory?

I believe the folks at Cleverley have historically been quite good at creating confusion/obfuscating the truth around their RTW line's provenance.

jon5986

Reaction score
I think for the price point the standard RTW makes for a good purchase. I have both C&J and Cleverley and there is a difference (both in the last and quality of construction). Others in this forum have agreed in previous discussions about this topic, that have both shoes.

I think the AC line is alot better than their standard range, but then one does get what you pay for.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Exactly. You can walk into the store, look around and point to the EGs in a matter of seconds. They are pretty obvious.

emakris

Reaction score
My only concern is that the Cleverly's look identical to C&J RTW. Same models, maybe a different last. However, the shoes look the same. I could be wrong because I haven't handled any.
I apologise for my ignorance but how can two shoes look the same if they are made on different lasts?

Leather man

Reaction score

That's wrong. The leather is not any different that standard EG RTW. The leather on my Foster is the same as EGs.

I'm not saying EG uses the best leather available, but it is incorrect to say that Foster's offerings use inferior leather than EG.

I don't doubt what you are saying. My comment refers only to the picture of that particular shoe.

I happen to think that the leathers Edward Green use are amongst the best in the RTW business. All my EG shoes are made from much better leather than the Fosters in that picture, but then maybe the pictured pair are the exception WRT Fosters.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not think it is a shoe that is that old - could be new. The leather is course, the grain is fibrous and thus it is creasing in an ugly way - just as cheap shoes do. I stand by my view that the leather on that shoe is nowhere near the quality it ought to be for the price.
cheap shoes crease differently. you might irritate this. it's obvious, that you are clueless about leather and shoes in general. but there's hope, you'll grow into it and i do not listen to people with a low post count(sf rule of thumb)

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
cheap shoes crease differently. you might irritate this.

it's obvious, that you are clueless about leather and shoes in general.

but there's hope, you'll grow into it and i do not listen to people with a low post count(sf rule of thumb)

I trust this was sarcastic?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads