• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

henrikc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
All cars that are driven by us are able to be posted here.

I remember the so-called cloud cars. Chrysler used to be a decent make. My father still drives his '97 Dodge Grand Caravan. It's given us a solid 13 years of ski trips and family hauling.

Then I sat in a new one. It just seemed worse somehow.

'97? That's nothing compared to our '91!
Just passed 300.000 km (180k-ish miles) with our Audi 100, and it still drives like it's a few years old. Sure, it makes a few weird sounds, but it's a great car. However, it's going to be replaced by a new Skoda, but hell, if we bothered to fix it up it could probably go another 2-3 years. Would take a lot of time, but you can't say that about most car makers. Seems like a lot of brands that used to make great cars went wrong somewhere along the road.

(FIY, the reason why we don't buy a new car every two or three years is simple: In Norway, an Audi S4 (which is $45.000 in the US, base model) starts at around $190.000. Yeah, $190k. Cars are really expensive here, and they depreciate quickly. Leasing is not an option, as it's just a waste of money.)

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
'97? That's nothing compared to our '91! Just passed 300.000 km (180k-ish miles) with our Audi 100, and it still drives like it's a few years old. Sure, it makes a few weird sounds, but it's a great car. However, it's going to be replaced by a new Skoda, but hell, if we bothered to fix it up it could probably go another 2-3 years. Would take a lot of time, but you can't say that about most car makers. Seems like a lot of brands that used to make great cars went wrong somewhere along the road. (FIY, the reason why we don't buy a new car every two or three years is simple: In Norway, an Audi S4 (which is $45.000 in the US, base model) starts at around $190.000. Yeah, $190k. Cars are really expensive here, and they depreciate quickly. Leasing is not an option, as it's just a waste of money.)
Holy crap! That's just insane. Speaking of weird noises, I love how a lot of those Chryslers have that automatic transmission that makes this buzzing and popping sound. I remember someone mentioning that the sound comes from all the solenoids inside. Good way to tell if a Cirrus is coming your way. The only major trouble we had with our van is that the engine needed replacing really early. Apparently it was burning oil and was degrading rapidly. So we got a new one under warranty. The only minor troubles include the little electric console thing on the ceiling breaking after 5 years, and the CD player breaking after 7. But the car itself is still solid.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i actually had to go through a lot of repairs for my car already. March was a horrible month for me. Still need to get the brakes fixed.

henrikc

Reaction score
Holy crap! That's just insane.

Speaking of weird noises, I love how a lot of those Chryslers have that automatic transmission that makes this buzzing and popping sound. I remember someone mentioning that the sound comes from all the solenoids inside. Good way to tell if a Cirrus is coming your way.

The only major trouble we had with our van is that the engine needed replacing really early. Apparently it was burning oil and was degrading rapidly. So we got a new one under warranty.

The only minor troubles include the little electric console thing on the ceiling breaking after 5 years, and the CD player breaking after 7. But the car itself is still solid.

Insane? Not really, it's just about how you treat it.
It's worth adding that we had the engine completely rebuilt after ~100.000 miles, because they messed something up when we had it serviced.
The automatic gearbox is not as precise and fast as it used to be, and there are a couple of interior lights that doesn't work, but other than that, it could probably go another 50.000 miles if we wanted to. Right now we're kind of sick of it though, and we really need a new car with a bigger trunk.
It's still comfortable to drive, and we bought it from a German guy who had the largest engine and almost all the extra equipment. Great value for money, and even though the original outlay was quite big, it's been a cheap car.

Getting the new Skoda Superb as a stationwagon. Not sure if they even sell it in the US, but it's a great and reasonably priced car with a huge trunk and a lot of leg room in the backseats.
Skoda_Superb_Combi.jpg

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Insane? Not really, it's just about how you treat it.
It's worth adding that we had the engine completely rebuilt after ~100.000 miles, because they messed something up when we had it serviced.

I think the 'insane' was the price of cars where you live.

I've had multiple cars go over 200K miles. Most cars built after 1990 will do it without significant issues.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the 2007-9 Shelby was a pig. But we're not talking about it. We're talking about the new 2011 GT with the 5.0. The one that improved its lap times on two tracks by 3 seconds over the 2010. I'm eager to see how well it does in the future in comparison tests, but things are really positive for this car. They ran it against the M3 during early testing, and of course the engineers said it was just as fast, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually turned out to be true.

Unless you live your life a quarter mile at a time, who gives a **** if the 5.0 is faster than the M3?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
Unless you live your life a quarter mile at a time, who gives a **** if the 5.0 is faster than the M3?
What if he does live his life a quarter mile at a time? Then it would be pretty important. Especially if he lives in an eighth of a mile at a time. I've heard this is becoming more popular.

henrikc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I think the 'insane' was the price of cars where you live.

I've had multiple cars go over 200K miles. Most cars built after 1990 will do it without significant issues.

Oh, yeah, I guess so. And I have to agree, prices are quite steep. However, the cheapest Ford Fiesta with the smallest engine is yours for just $27.000.

The taxes here is based on the size of the engine, and as a result, you get a lot of underpowered cars and people tend to keep them longer.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
What if he does live his life a quarter mile at a time? Then it would be pretty important. Especially if he lives in an eighth of a mile at a time. I've heard this is becoming more popular.

I actually live my life in lateral g's.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
Finally got the car I've had my hopes for. 05 Mini Cooper S with lots of mods. Haven't put it on the Dyno yet but we think were getting at least 225 hp out of this guy.
That's a lot of horses for the Mini. My guess is it's a lot of fun to drive.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It takes my breath away when I give it some throttle. I'm planning on upgrading the Intercooler with an M7 and Coil with MSD. Then I'll need the big brakes!

Originally Posted by JayJay
That's a lot of horses for the Mini. My guess is it's a lot of fun to drive.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that much power, the best thing you can do if the car doesn't have it already is a limited-slip diff. Don't worry about the big brakes.

--Andre

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It was a factory option on 05's and above. Not sure if I have one for I haven't had it up on the lift yet. We'll be replacing both front axles and installing poly control arm bushings Friday so we'll see then. Good point though but still want the brakes.

Originally Posted by A Y
With that much power, the best thing you can do if the car doesn't have it already is a limited-slip diff. Don't worry about the big brakes.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics