• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Delos' workshop

janne melkersson

Reaction score
Victor,
thank you for posting Mr Delos beautiful work, as already said, it is impresseve!

It is interesting to see how different the traditions are from country to country and how internet and the fact we are going global change even an old trade like shoemaking. Soon we up north in Scandinavia will make shoes inspired by Hungarians, Italians and French makers. We are alrady inspired since long time back of the traditional English making regarding the bespoke trade but new inputs are always welcome.

That said, I woulnd't mind try some of Mr Delos tricks. I am thinking of the way he cut the waist which seems to be more dramatical then I use to do it but with a very nice result.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by janne melkersson
Victor,
thank you for posting Mr Delos beautiful work, as already said, it is impresseve!

It is interesting to see how different the traditions are from country to country and how internet and the fact we are going global change even an old trade like shoemaking. Soon we up north in Scandinavia will make shoes inspired by Hungarians, Italians and French makers. We are alrady inspired since long time back of the traditional English making regarding the bespoke trade but new inputs are always welcome.

That said, I woulnd't mind try some of Mr Delos tricks. I am thinking of the way he cut the waist which seems to be more dramatical then I use to do it but with a very nice result.

It is quite interesting to see regional differences and cultural influences on the art of shoemaking...

It is fascinating to see Hungarian and Northern European artisans on SF...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks to the OP for this and for the facebook page as well.I haven't looked at all the photos but I have it bookmarked and am anticipating doing so later.

Like Janne, I am fascinated by the way Delos sets up the waist in preparation for handwelting the shoe.

I think that he is not cutting the insole as far under the waist to begin with as many do. That's the way it looks to me in the photo above. That might provide more support under the arch of the foot, especially for those that pronate. In turn, it would require the feather to be quite wide in the waist to result in a narrow and stylish waist in the finished shoe...which it is.

Very interesting. Thanks again.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For awesomeness:

Originally Posted by RJman
In honor of mafoo:

These are my last (as in final) Delos boots. Double-strap jodhpurs, kid suede.

imgp0944um7.jpg

imgp0928jx4.jpg

imgp0950vn2.jpg

imgp0945sv0.jpg

imgp0946gc0.jpg

imgp0949me9.jpg

They were inspired by these Lobb St. James boots, but Delos made his own interpretation of them.

SS7416.JPG

Victor___

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Victor ,did he close the Paris' shop near Montmartre?

Did he keep the apprentice called Laurent?

Yes and yes, he now shares his time between rue Volta in Paris, where his showroom stands, you can find pictures on this thread :

http://depiedencap.leforum.eu/t7991-...n.htm?start=15

and his workshop in Les Rosiers sur Loire.
He kept Laurent with him, you can see him on the pictures i made in his workshop.

Originally Posted by fritzl
i cannot recall seeing boots of his kind from one of the workshops. so, fwiw, i rate AD a step above...

A step above he truly is, because according to me, he can make anything, from a horse riding boot to orthopedic shoes, and of course beautiful city shoes like the ones you saw before.

Originally Posted by luk-cha
great photo essay many thanks for the links too

You're welcome !

Originally Posted by janne melkersson
Victor,

Yes, impressive is a word that comes back quite often in my posts, maybe because english is not my first language and i lack awesomeness vocabulary...
laugh.gif
The waist work on most of Delos shoes is called in french " lisses rondes ", you can also see it on Gaziano shoes, rounded waist in english i think...

Originally Posted by DWFII
Thanks to the OP for this and for the facebook page as well.I haven't looked at all the photos but I have it bookmarked and am anticipating doing so later.

Like Janne, I am fascinated by the way Delos sets up the waist in preparation for handwelting the shoe.

I think that he is not cutting the insole as far under the waist to begin with as many do. That's the way it looks to me in the photo above. That might provide more support under the arch of the foot, especially for those that pronate. In turn, it would require the feather to be quite wide in the waist to result in a narrow and stylish waist in the finished shoe...which it is.

Very interesting. Thanks again.

You're absolutely right, the first sole, against the last, called " première " is quite large, then he works it with the kind of knife shoemakers use, le " tranchet ".

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
For awesomeness:

Thanks ! Those boots are gorgeous...

ajv

Reaction score
Thank you Victor,

told you some could be interested around here.
It just shows how good, humble and nice this guy is.

Adrian

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
Thank you Victor,

told you some could be interested around here.
It just shows how good, humble and nice this guy is.

Adrian

I recommended to a lot of my friends and I wil do it again and again.

I couldn't used him anymore because of the distance...

I will use him again .

ajv

Reaction score
I recommended to a lot of my friends and I wil do it again and again.

I couldn't used him anymore because of the distance...

I will use him again .

I know he is willing to go visit the US if there are enough people interested and ready to travel, given it is worth it.

Adrian

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
I know he is willing to go visit the US if there are enough people interested and ready to travel, given it is worth it.

Adrian

How much is enough for him? And what are his prices at the moment?

ajv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
How much is enough for him? And what are his prices at the moment?

A pair of shoes starts at EUR 3'000, and I think he would be ready to visit from around 10-12 pairs, that is for the measure taking and the trying pair, given the clients would eventually be ready to visit France for the delivery.
For more information it would be best to contact him via e-mail : contact@anthonydelosDOTcom

Adrian

P.S. : the mail has been given in this form to avoid spamming.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
A pair of shoes starts at EUR 3'000, and I think he would be ready to visit from around 10-12 pairs, that is for the measure taking and the trying pair, given the clients would eventually be ready to visit France for the delivery.
For more information it would be best to contact him via e-mail : contact@anthonydelosDOTcom

Adrian

P.S. : the mail has been given in this form to avoid spamming.

I am not sure that I can find 10 people. Probably 3-5 only.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I did try to help him on London but 10 is quite a big number of customers to find...

Russia must be an interesting market to conquer...

I have always been fascinated by Russia .

banis

Reaction score
I did try to help him on London but 10 is quite a big number of customers to find...

Russia must be an interesting market to conquer...

I have always been fascinated by Russia .

Yes, it is.
But there should be a good marketing for conqeror. People do not know small artisans.

Some boutiques can assist with invitation of such artisans, as they have a good client base. Although, I am not sure that they are eager for such experiments.

Just FYI, John Lobb boutique in Moscow offers bespoke (I am not actually sure whether it is a true bespoke or not) which started at somewhere 9.000 USD. And they have clients. Once there was a special offer - order one pair and get a second one with a 50% discount.
bounce2.gif
lol8[1].gif

ajv

Reaction score
I know he should look for new markets, but on the other hand there is only one guy working with him and his order book is pretty full. Thus he is afraid to leave the workshop for several days if he is not sure about what he can get. That is the sad problem of artisans that are not outsourcing. But banis, if you are serious I am sure there must be ways Adrian

Victor___

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
Thank you Victor, told you some could be interested around here. It just shows how good, humble and nice this guy is. Adrian
You were right ! His work should be known and appreciated by many...
Just FYI, John Lobb boutique in Moscow offers bespoke (I am not actually sure whether it is a true bespoke or not) which started at somewhere 9.000 USD. And they have clients. Once there was a special offer - order one pair and get a second one with a 50% discount.
bounce2.gif
lol8[1].gif

Jesus !! Now THAT is a great deal ! Two pairs for only 13500 USD !!
laugh.gif
Well maybe 3000 EUR isn't that much after all, for this quality of work, without any outsourcing, like Adrian said earlier...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads