• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Attolini vs. Rubinacci vs. Steed

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Judging by the pictures he seems to stand in interesting places a lot. At least more often then I do.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With just a quick look, I like Attolini #5 the best. Good all around shape.

I didn't peruse too carefully and haven't read any of the other comments. Overall, the Attolinis look pretty nice to me. It must be kinda fun to try out all those different tailoring shops. Nice wardrobe.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attolini for the win.

90% of your pants need retooling.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attolini #7 is by far my favorite. It is a beautiful jacket.

-LR

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think you should focus more on your pants than on the jackets. While some of the coats are better than others, they are all, at worse, very servicable. Your pants, on the other hand.......

+1^10

welcome to bespoke understood only waistup. Beautiful jackets but (to OP) oh boy what happend to below waist? None of the pants have the right balance!

You know they charged you for pants too lol!

If you do have pants where balance /fall is correct, please post pictures (front ,side and back) as they will be most valuable to others. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Lendial

Reaction score
not to nitpick: 1^10 is still 1
smile.gif
steed rubinacci attolini is the criticism for steed due to the slight bunching of material near the first button, or the shapely siluhoute? the latter of which i found to be the winning factor.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rubinacci #1- Elegant fits beautifully

Steed #5- Bold and Ivy-inspired. I love it

Castagnia #1 Fit is flattering

My opinion is prejudiced by the fact that I dislike patch pockets, ticket
pockets, and broad overplaids.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attolini #4,5 and 7 look fantastic ... the steed trousers in that grey 3-piece is fantastic. Something seems off with the steed jackets in general, maybe they need more time to settle on the body. Maybe for your next commission you can talk to Edwin about having the jackets with a less accentuated waist. The Rubinaccis have good silhouette but don't look as good as the Attolinis.

I really like your fabric choices for your bespoke items. You have excellent taste.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the opinions expressed. They've been as provocative, detailed, and contradictory as anticipated.

The criticisms levelled at these skilled tailors show how hard this is to get right, and how hard-to-please we are collectively. God doesn't put perfection within easy reach. Otherwise, Butler's final 3 would have fallen. As for the critique of my color- and style-deprived judgment, points taken.

I can't help but feel that were I a smarter customer, I might get better results. Vox, Manton, Mao, PG, and others demonstrate this. My attention splits across too many interests, and I've simplistically relied on masters rather than learn enough to challenge them.

I just watched a video of Richard Sachs, the preeminent American handmade bicycle framemaker on whose waiting list I will wait for the next 7+ years. One of his several mottos is "imperfection is perfection". I've accepted that that applies to clothing as well, since I enjoy a number of my imperfections.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I do wonder, and I hope I didn't miss an earlier answer: Are you asking for these to be extra slim? They're much more snug than I'd expect.

Originally Posted by Soph
90% of your pants need retooling.

Originally Posted by tutee
+1^10

welcome to bespoke understood only waistup. Beautiful jackets but (to OP) oh boy what happend to below waist? None of the pants have the right balance!

You know they charged you for pants too lol!

In response to so much criticism of my trousers, I'll say a few words about them. First, most of the non-suit trousers shown are slim-fit Incotex and Cucinelli. If RTW gets slimmer than that, I don't know where. Second, I like the way that Incotex and Cucinelli look and fit. The vitriole surprises me, but so be it. Third, don't presume that bespoke is the solution. My Ambrosis are baggier, despite multiple rounds of "thinning", and have been well criticized as such in other threads.

As for the bespoke trousers shown, I agree that the Rubinacci suit, Attolini dinner, and Steed suit trousers have excess room. The Rubinacci was originally even baggier, before I made a final (fourth?) visit to the Milan store just to have them taken in. Why the struggle? I presume that it stems from an unusual physique. In two weeks, I'll run my third mountain ultramarathon of 2010 before switching back to cycling. My legs are short relative to my height and muscular relative to my thin waist.

Perhaps there's a well-tailored solution. Perhaps I'm doomed to look imperfect. Resignation to the latter reduces my expectation for the former. But the criticism is well taken, and I'll pay more attention in the future. I posted in order to get this kind of input.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
As for the bespoke trousers shown, I agree that the Rubinacci suit, Attolini dinner, and Steed suit trousers have excess room. The Rubinacci was originally even baggier, before I made a final (fourth?) visit to the Milan store just to have them taken in. Why the struggle? I presume that it stems from an unusual physique. In two weeks, I'll run my third mountain ultramarathon of 2010 before switching back to cycling. My legs are short relative to my height and muscular relative to my thin waist.

It has NOTHING to do with how full or slim the pants are. As long as they are dress pants with crease the same fit / balance applies. My objection to them is not the roominess but the line of cloth is all wrong (unless you are assuming other than natural posture).

Perhaps there's a well-tailored solution.

Of course there is one. However, it depends on you too! These days you cannot walk into an esteemed tailoring establishment and expect them to take care of everything. All tailors do require some sort of input from the customers, especially if you are relatively a new customer.

Most tailors of today create garbage when it comes to cutting pants. It is almost like not even important to them anymore. Again, not a question of slim or full but correct line / fall.

Thank you for your pictures.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't help but feel that were I a smarter customer, I might get better results. Vox, Manton, Mao, PG, and others demonstrate this. My attention splits across too many interests, and I've simplistically relied on masters rather than learn enough to challenge them.
Perhaps there's a well-tailored solution. Perhaps I'm doomed to look imperfect. Resignation to the latter reduces my expectation for the former. But the criticism is well taken, and I'll pay more attention in the future. I posted in order to get this kind of input.

i wouldnt be so hard on yourself. all the suits and jackets range from great to excellent in my very humble opinion.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In response to so much criticism of my trousers, I'll say a few words about them. First, most of the non-suit trousers shown are slim-fit Incotex and Cucinelli. If RTW gets slimmer than that, I don't know where. Second, I like the way that Incotex and Cucinelli look and fit. The vitriole surprises me, but so be it. Third, don't presume that bespoke is the solution. My Ambrosis are baggier, despite multiple rounds of "thinning", and have been well criticized as such in other threads.

I thank you for your genuine interest in receiving feedback. Reading the highlighted again, they are a bit troubling coming from a bespoke customer.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
i wouldnt be so hard on yourself. all the suits and jackets range from great to excellent in my very humble opinion.

Horses for courses Montesquieu...

Apart from older SF statesmen , you will always receive a certain level of criticism on this forum.

Some people are so seeking the perfect lines ,cut or silhouette they forget we all different tastes and aesthetics...

Less dogma and more pleasure must be motto of SF...

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP,

I suspect your trousers mostly suffer from long back balance. This is not uncommon at all in bespoke trousers. I recall seeing a Solito suit posted on SF that had worse trouser balance issue than yours. It is not difficult to fix next time you commission bespoke trousers, but you will have to live with them for RTW. The fullness issue is a matter of comfort and how the trousers look when paired with your coats. Proportionately shorter legs should benefit from slimmer cut trousers along the lines of your RTW ones posted (but with shorter back balance).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics