• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Benjamin Lucente Suit: Fit Pics

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes the pick stiching is a bit much, also the right sleeve seems a bit shorter then the left.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat

huntsman.jpg

Two jackets, very different in style, neither looks dated.

I am aware that there are a handful of styles that don't look dated. However I'd have to disagree with the first example - the lapel shape combined with the width definitely looks old. Although with RL now coming out with the extra wide lapels this guy in b/w may soon be in vogue again after hanging onto the suit for 60 years!
laugh.gif
Don't get me wrong - of course there are styles and a handful of brands that make a timeless garment - being in the men's clothing business on and off for the past 25 years, I don't find Canali striking me as being one of them. Kiton and Luciano Barbera, to name a few, are good example of brands that have styles which have remained mostly the same year after year, from what I have seen. But most other brands do move with the trend.

The fact is, there ARE trends in style - whether or not one chooses to follow or reject them is up to each individual. I personally do like the current slimmer trend and find it more flattering with a shorter rise pant (actually many high end Italian brands have stuck with the shorter rise all along). The slimmer silhouette happens to work well for me since I'm now between a 38R and 39R anyway.

That being said, most labels offer more than one model for this very reason - to meet the demands and requirements of different men with different body shapes and style expectations. The current Benjamin models are intended for a more modern individual who following more current trends. These models, the Maestro & Lucente, were actually based on a Canali model and the Isaia "Scott" model. The coming Benjamin Classico model will hopefully meet the demands of the more traditional customer.

Anyway, I think the suit looks fantastic!

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
The fact is, I find the notion that changing any part of a suit makes it "contemporary" to be perfectly absurd. I also reject the idea that sticking to classic rules means everyone has to dress alike. To the contrary, buttoning at the waist means high-waisted men wear high-waisted jackets and low-waisted men wear low-waisted jackets. That's the whole point. The Agents in The Matrix wore the same suit of the same cut, even though they had different builds:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/un...neraton).jpg
which made them look the same. Fashion's solution to that problem is that all men should wear high-waisted jackets for a few years, then all men should wear low-waisted jackets for a few years. Trends are still bland and unflattering--they just refresh from time to time. Classic dressing says that each man should wear clothes of the cut and color that flatter him, with ample room for variation. It says that tailors know better than designers.

The fact is, I'm on the young and thin side, and I don't feel the need to wear low-rise trousers just because GQ thinks I should.

QED
My man!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The excessive pick stitching makes it look dreadful. Shame

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
The excessive pick stitching makes it look dreadful. Shame

I believe it has already been confirmed that the pick stitching is not nearly as obvious as depicted.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
huntsman.jpg

Two jackets, very different in style, neither looks dated.

"Dated" will be the last of your worries when wearing this one.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to diss Ben - I've bought from him and would only sing praises and admire this effort - but I find the claim of this being a derivative of Isaia's Scott model a bit baffling. The shoulders alone in the pics shown are more Canali/Zegna than almost anything Isaia has out there.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big square shoulders, not for me.
Maybe for the skinny guys who
could use some heft.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
Not to diss Ben - I've bought from him and would only sing praises and admire this effort - but I find the claim of this being a derivative of Isaia's Scott model a bit baffling. The shoulders alone in the pics shown are more Canali/Zegna than almost anything Isaia has out there.

No diss taken!

I was speaking more to the higher gorge of the lapel and higher button stance of the Scott (as well as the Tazio models from Isaia). But as for the shoulder, Isaia did make some with shoulders very similar to the Benjamins - the "Cary" and "Enrico" models had slightly stronger shoulders (yes, there was an Isaia model called the "Enrico" - not an Enrico Isaia label). We had at least 10 different Isaia models come through - most of them were made for the Euro market - stateside you could only find the Stewart and Sirio models (now of course they have their "Base S and V" models). Anyway I would say the Benjamin shoulders are far from built up or squared really - certainly nothing like anything you'd find at your local JAB!

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
"Dated" will be the last of your worries when wearing this one.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
No diss taken!

I was speaking more to the higher gorge of the lapel and higher button stance of the Scott (as well as the Tazio models from Isaia). But as for the shoulder, Isaia did make some with shoulders very similar to the Benjamins - the "Cary" and "Enrico" models had slightly stronger shoulders (yes, there was an Isaia model called the "Enrico" - not an Enrico Isaia label). We had at least 10 different Isaia models come through - most of them were made for the Euro market - stateside you could only find the Stewart and Sirio models (now of course they have their "Base S and V" models). Anyway I would say the Benjamin shoulders are far from built up or squared really - certainly nothing like anything you'd find at your local JAB!

"your local JAB". Interesting marketing approach; comparing yourselves to a solidly
down market player. Based on the one item I've bought from you, a Sirio suit, I would
say that Benjamin is better than my local Saks or Niemans. It's not just price. Maybe
it is the European Market stock . Your merchandise conforms more closely to my taste
than what the Bay Area buyers for these stores choose.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Ben - I stand corrected as I have a cary model and it does have slightly stronger, or perhaps more accurately "extended" shoulders, than the Scotts, Stewarts, Base S or V I have.

Funny, but it is not exactly more padded than my other Isaias, but it is definitely more "shaped" - is this how you would describe the shoulder in your suits?

And not to derail the tread, but I just came across a Carlyle model from the now defunct Enrico Isaia handmade line. Assuming it is a Euro market model, but any idea on the shape of those shoulders?

pendragon

Reaction score
Naturally, the waistband of the trousers should sit at the waist.

Back in 1930 possibly. Not everyone wants to dress like Humphrey Bogart these days.

As for the pick stitching, it's highly visible because of the heavy side lighting in the picture.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
"your local JAB". Interesting marketing approach; comparing yourselves to a solidly
down market player. Based on the one item I've bought from you, a Sirio suit, I would
say that Benjamin is better than my local Saks or Niemans. It's not just price. Maybe
it is the European Market stock . Your merchandise conforms more closely to my taste
than what the Bay Area buyers for these stores choose.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that... In mentioning JAB I was referring more to the shoulder for comparison so that more people can understand that there is a big difference between the more heavily padded and built up shoulders of JAB vs. the much more subdued shoulders of the Benjamin suits. I proudly agree with all who have purchased the Benjamins that the quality of these suits far exceed that of JAB. Many have compared the quality to be the same or even slightly above entry level fully canvassed Italian brands that retail for at least $1,000 more. Anyway thank you for the kind words and the opportunity to clarify.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads