• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kindle?

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
The above posts read like what one would expect from Kindle users ie claiming superiority. Seriously.
wouldn't one expect the same from apple users as well i have no dog in this little dust-up, i'm just saying

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
ffffuuuu.gif

the kindle is an e-book reader. the ipad is a multi-media tablet. they are not similar devices. Seriously. they are not competitive. for reading books, the kindle is better. it should be -- its made-for-purpose.

If you don't think the two devices are competing with one another, you're smoking something pretty wacky. Yes, the Kindle is a dedicated/specialized e-reader. No, the iPad is not. That said, most consumers looking for an e-reader aren't going to buy both. They're going to buy one or the other.

In the eyes of the electronics market, these are competing devices. If Apple didn't want to compete with the Kindle for the e-reading market, it wouldn't have put so many book downloading and e-reading capabilities on the iPad. It certainly wouldn't have created the iBooks store/app.

Once again, not taking sides in the argument about which is a better e-reader. Just simply stating that they are competing in the e-reading market.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
the kindle is an e-book reader. the ipad is a multi-media tablet. they are not similar devices. Seriously. they are not competitive. for reading books, the kindle is better. it should be -- its made-for-purpose. apple has nothing to do with any display technology. they are not associated with IPS, S-IPS, TN, PVA, etc. the companies that are include hitachi, lg, samsung, which provides the majority of the panels that are built into monitors and later rebranded as "viewsonic, hp, dell, benq, acer, gateway, planar, etc".... including, yes, Apple. even those fancy glossy apple cinema pro displays = LG. facts, if you care about them

I said they had a patent on IPS, didn't I? http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...ok-tablet.html Whether Apple manufactures screens or not is a red herring; they don't directly manufacture the iPod or iPhone either.

milosh

Reaction score
Isn't that patent about touching and not displaying? It says in the article that IPS has been developed by Hitachi. Wikipedia on IPS

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a kindle 2 international. kindle dx is too large. increased size brings diminishing returns. i read a ton with it. more than paper books (many of which ive bought and never opened, and since re-ordered in digital form). there is no way an ipad is good for "reading". i spent this weekend traveling and the kindle went on a single charge (including wireless use for checking email, blogs, etc). the ipad would not have lasted 1 of the train rides i used. quickly browsing magazines with lots of colors and pictures? reading an actual book? no way
Really? How long was your flight that the ipad wouldn't have handled it on a single charge?
ffffuuuu.gif
the kindle is an e-book reader. the ipad is a multi-media tablet. they are not similar devices. Seriously. they are not competitive. for reading books, the kindle is better. it should be -- its made-for-purpose. apple has nothing to do with any display technology. they are not associated with IPS, S-IPS, TN, PVA, etc. the companies that are include hitachi, lg, samsung, which provides the majority of the panels that are built into monitors and later rebranded as "viewsonic, hp, dell, benq, acer, gateway, planar, etc".... including, yes, Apple. even those fancy glossy apple cinema pro displays = LG. facts, if you care about them

"The kindle is an e-book reader" and yet you used it for "wireless use for checking email, blogs, etc"? Barnes and Nobles thought it could one up the Kindle with the Nook. Apple just created the ipad. There is a large number of slate/pad type computers about to flood into the market from non-apple manufacturers. Publishers seem to like Apple's pricing model better than Amazon's. Amazon itself created a Kindle app for the ipad thus acknowledging it will lose current or potential Kindle users. Given that the Kindle is Amazon's best selling product (which I never understood), I would be seriously worried regarding my competitiveness in that category if I ran Amazon. And if that's not worrisome, I am sure the potential hit from every municipality targeting Amazon for increased taxes will certainly be.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
I said they had a patent on IPS, didn't I?
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...ok-tablet.html

Whether Apple manufactures screens or not is a red herring; they don't directly manufacture the iPod or iPhone either.

"new display technology called "in-plane switching" to solve another common problem with LCD screens: the inability to see it from an angle"
their patent is a twist on 14 year old invention. the problem of limited viewing angle was remedied by hitachi's development of IPS, not with apple's alternate means of production of IPS.

if im an engineer for goodyear and come up with a new tread compound and pattern for a tire, im not going to take credit for the pneumatic tire, or call myself the enabler of transportation

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Really? How long was your flight that the ipad wouldn't have handled it on a single charge?

"The kindle is an e-book reader" and yet you used it for "wireless use for checking email, blogs, etc"?

Barnes and Nobles thought it could one up the Kindle with the Nook. Apple just created the ipad. There is a large number of slate/pad type computers about to flood into the market from non-apple manufacturers. Publishers seem to like Apple's pricing model better than Amazon's. Amazon itself created a Kindle app for the ipad thus acknowledging it will lose current or potential Kindle users. Given that the Kindle is Amazon's best selling product (which I never understood), I would be seriously worried regarding my competitiveness in that category if I ran Amazon. And if that's not worrisome, I am sure the potential hit from every municipality targeting Amazon for increased taxes will certainly be.

Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
In the eyes of the electronics market, these are competing devices. If Apple didn't want to compete with the Kindle for the e-reading market, it wouldn't have put so many book downloading and e-reading capabilities on the iPad. It certainly wouldn't have created the iBooks store/app.

Once again, not taking sides in the argument about which is a better e-reader. Just simply stating that they are competing in the e-reading market.

series of train trips, but i have a 10+ hr lhr-sfo next week. (and United's power ports are often non-functioning)
reading is the kindle's primary purpose. browsing and music player are ancillary (they actually call it "experimental").

if i wanted to browse the web, i wouldnt use a kindle. likewise, if i wanted to read lots of material, i wouldnt use ipad.

amazon developed kindle app for iphone in 2009 (ipad wasnt announced until 2010). did amazon fear losing sales to iphones, too?

a function overlap does not competition make. many cellular phones are now advertising multi-megapixel "zeiss" cameras with autofocus and flashes. it will be a while, if ever, cell phones will supplant digital cameras for amateur hobbyists.

its not an e-reader, its a sleek portable computer with crippled OS and crippled connectivity. sounds like an acer 10hr-batt clamshell netbook with 1/4th the capabilities.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
a function overlap does not competition make.
Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, both Amazon and Apple believe themselves to be in competition in the e-reader market with their respective devices. Believe me when I say that LOTS of consumers will consider the iPad and the Kindle to be relatively close substitutes as e-readers. YOU may not, and that's totally cool. But you are not the e-reader market as a whole. In economic terms, what you're basically saying is that no reasonable party would ever consider the Kindle and the iPad to be substitute products. In other words, you're implying that most consumers would happily purchase both products and would not choose one over another, because neither product can be a substitute for the other. That argument is absurd, and neither Amazon nor Apple even buy it.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking as a student, i think i'd actually prefer a kindle dx to an ipad, because an ipad would be too distracting i think the kindle is a much more elegant device

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I have the regular Kindle. Wouldn't have bought it for myself, but got it as a gift. I don't really use it except when traveling -- but for traveling it's pretty nice. And if you have a short attention span like I do, the magazine subscription feature and the availability of a ton of public domain free content is a real plus. If I'm traveling and get bored with whatever I'm reading at the time, I can switch over to the latest New Yorker, or to one of the Twain or Dostoyevsky or Dickens novels I've never gotten around to, or some Sherlock Holmes stories I haven't read in a while.

+1

I got the Sony e-reader as a gift last X-Mas. It's nice and I think it's a big plus for travel but I prefer a real book. I just bought all the sherlock Holmes books for like $5
bigstar[1].gif

blairh

Reaction score
iPad is cool in that it has created a new catagory of device people wanted, but here is my quick take on it after spending some time using one.....

Ereader - Only for short periods of time. Reading off a lit screen like that is annoying. Picks up glare from indoor lights and is unusable in sunlight outside. Has some cool features in iBooks (dictionary function, color) but cannot touch a Nook/Kindle as a serious ereader. Plus it's too heavy for holding for long periods.

Web - Very impressive, as long as you don't watch vids on sites that use Flash (I do). But if you have mulitiple tabs open they must reload when you revisit them if you go back and forth. Annoying.

Photos - Very nice organization. Probably my favorite feature.

Games - I don't really play games. Has potential, but no tactile controls is a downer regardless.

Apps - Hard to truly judge when it's a week old. See a lot of potential but I don't want to read a ******* newspaper on my iPad. I'll take a newspapers website any day (even if it has a paywall). There are some cool apps currently but nothing "killer" in my book.

Video - **** you. IPS panel great but the 4:3 aspect ratio is suckville. Plus eat me if you think I'm going to purchase or rent movies/tv via iTunes. No gracias.

Email - Nice interface but my iPhone is sufficient as it is for that. Plus I'd rather bang out an email with my thumbs vs. the BS portrait or landscape screens featured on the iPad.

Conclusion - Doesn't really do anything great but does a series of things in a small form factor, with good battery life, and that alone will enable it to have a marketplace. I personally would never want one. Bring on a widescreen tablet with a real OS and we can start talking.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep, blairh's post pretty much decides it for me - i'm buying a kindle dx

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the paperback book. If I cant see the words I get a book light.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads