• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone please advise me on how the following shoes relate in quality?

cheaney, trickers, barker, churches (current not ye olde) and loake.

are they essentially all the same in quality and just a difference in styling?

also is there a noticable increase in quality moving to a Crockett and Jones?

MMorley

Reaction score
C&J Handgrade
Trickers
C&J Benchgrade
Church
Cheaney
Loake

In my honest opinion, of course. Slightly biased because I never had a Loake from the 1880 line. Church is a bit of a hit-or-miss, because some are definetely better than C&J Benchgrade.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MMorley
C&J Handgrade
Trickers
C&J Benchgrade
Church
Cheaney
Loake

In my honest opinion, of course. Slightly biased because I never had a Loake from the 1880 line. Church is a bit of a hit-or-miss, because some are definetely better than C&J Benchgrade.

Roughly - (but shoes vary, and it depends on how much weight you put on leather quality, construction, finishing, style etc.)

Edward Green
C&J Handgrade
Trickers
Grenson Rose
Barker Hand-crafted
Alfred Sargent Premier
C&J Benchgrade
Cheaney Signature
Church
C&J Benchgrade
Church
Cheaney (most)
Barker non-hand-crafted calf
Sanders calf
Loake 1880
Alfred Sargent Classic
Sanders non-calf, Loake non-calf, Grenson Feathermaster, Barkers non-calf

Vox Populi

Reaction score
Edward Green
C&J Handgrade
Trickers
Grenson Rose
Barker Hand-crafted
C&J Benchgrade
Cheaney Signature
Church
Cheaney (most)
Alfred Sargent Premier
Loake 1880
Alfred Sargent Classic
Sanders calf

I think that would be my running order.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks gents
smile.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't believe so many people put Church's as low as they do. They are incredibly solid shoes, also Grenson Rose, Barker Hand-Crafted and Trickers over C&J Benchgrade I think is ridiculous. In my opinion C&J is way above both. I think Barker Black would probably be about comparable to C&J Benchgrade.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vox Populi
Edward Green C&J Handgrade Trickers Grenson Rose Barker Hand-crafted C&J Benchgrade Alden Cheaney Signature Church Cheaney (most) Alfred Sargent Premier Barker non-hand-crafted calf Loake 1880 Alfred Sargent Classic Sanders calf Sanders non-calf, Loake non-calf, Grenson Feathermaster, Barkers non-calf I think that would be my running order.
I know this isn't exactly the thread topic, but where would Alden go in here? does my instert look about right? edit: 2nd try

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion, concerning shoes with which I have some familiarity, in terms of quality (not styling):

Edward Green
Lobb
Gaziano & Girling
C&J Handgrade
C&J / Church's (tie)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
My opinion, concerning shoes with which I have some familiarity, in terms of quality (not styling):

Edward Green
Lobb
Gaziano & Girling
C&J Handgrade
C&J / Church's (tie)

+1

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I know this isn't exactly the thread topic, but where would Alden go in here?

does my instert look about right?

Nah, I would say higher than that.

Vox Populi

Reaction score
Don't know Alden, I'm afraid. From what I've seen I would guess that they would probably be around the Loake 1880 mark.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um... Alden isn't English. It's American.

Macallan

Reaction score
More surprising than Church's being underrated, is Cleverley's Anthony range being completely ignored, which I would rank above JL, G&G and EG.

As for the shoe-makers mentioned I would say:
Church's Royal Collection
C&J Handgrade
Church's/C&J
Trickers
Cheaneys
Barkers
Loake

I have missed out Barker Black because I have never seen a pair.

MMorley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Roughly - (but shoes vary, and it depends on how much weight you put on leather quality, construction, finishing, style etc.)

Edward Green
C&J Handgrade
Trickers
Grenson Rose
Barker Hand-crafted
Alfred Sargent Premier
C&J Benchgrade
Cheaney Signature
Church
C&J Benchgrade
Church
Cheaney (most)
Sanders calf
Loake 1880
Alfred Sargent Classic

That looks like a pretty interesting list. I should get myself a pair of Alfred Sargent Premier and a pair of Grenson Rose.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I can't believe so many people put Church's as low as they do. They are incredibly solid shoes, also Grenson Rose, Barker Hand-Crafted and Trickers over C&J Benchgrade I think is ridiculous. In my opinion C&J is way above both. I think Barker Black would probably be about comparable to C&J Benchgrade.

Interesting. I agree Church make very solid decent shoes, and their soles are particularly good, but I find the leather used on the uppers on the pair I own (and others I've handled) to be a bit stiff and rather 'flat'. I own a couple of pairs of C&J Benchgrade and like them, but attention to detail on finishing isn't as good as that on my Grenson Rose, Barker Hand-Crafted or Trickers.

It's difficult - is a softer more supple leather upper like Barker use on their Hand-Crafted, better than the tougher more damage resistant leather Grenson use on their Rose collection? I'm not sure. Some people put more value on closed channeling - providing the stitches are recessed enough for me it's not that important.

It's also difficult not to take value into consideration.

I can only assess quality on how the leather looks and feels, what the finishing is like and where I own them (and I own at least one pair from most of the major English manufacturers up to the Edward Green price point) how well they wear, how well they take polish etc. I've not the money or knowledge to cut them up and examine the internal construction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics