• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Attolini vs. Rubinacci vs. Steed

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes. Have I ever suggested otherwise? Mariano or Luca will tell you the same. If you come into London House in Naples asking for a lean, clean jacket, they'll often suggest using their Milan shop instead. Different tailors do different work--that's been my point the whole time, no?

Make sense, interesting, nonetheless.

Which, for lack of a better term, "style" travels? Who comes to New York?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO:
Attolini looks good
The one Castangia example looks good
Rubinacci looks a bit off
Steed doesn't look very good

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Make sense, interesting, nonetheless.

Which, for lack of a better term, "style" travels? Who comes to New York?

Luca comes to New York. I actually don't know whether you can pick to have things made in Naples or Milan, but I can't see why not.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luca comes to New York. I actually don't know whether you can pick to have things made in Naples or Milan, but I can't see why not.

Ah- thanks M- wondering how that translates to each cutter...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Attolini looks good

Do you see a marked difference between Attolini MTM and bespoke, or am the only one? The MTM has no shaping in the chest. It looks like they just took a RTW jacket and cut at the sides.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Have I ever suggested otherwise? Mariano or Luca will tell you the same. If you come into London House in Naples asking for a lean, clean jacket, they'll often suggest using their Milan shop instead. Different tailors do different work--that's been my point the whole time, no?

Pardon my ignorance but I'm really confused now. I thought that the cutter/fitter influences the shape, fit of the suit - the tailor pieces it all together.

If Luca's the one that's travelling and he's the one doing the fitting, won't the garment then take on whichever 'style' he represents?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you see a marked difference between Attolini MTM and bespoke, or am the only one? The MTM has no shaping in the chest. It looks like they just took a RTW jacket and cut at the sides.

The bespoke seem to fit better but the styling on the MTM seems more attractive to me - I can't really explain it but I think the MTM ones are better looking garments. The cut on #5 is especially unflattering IMO - makes him look chubby.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Are you saying that the Rubinacci 'house style' differs depending on which location you get measured at?

It does make sense especially if they're locally trained..

Milan is a city with a different sociocultural and therefore sartorial heritage than Naples..
The Milan look is cleaner and more structured...More business like when Naples is more flamboyant...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see it as you see it; not that the MTM looks bad. I wouldn't expect the MTM to look as naturally shaped without some serious surgery.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
It does make sense especially if they're locally trained..

Milan is a city with a different sociocultural and therefore sartorial heritage than Naples..
The Milan look is cleaner and more structured...More business like when Naples is more flamboyant...

We get that- Trini's point, and my question, is how one individual's measurements results in two different house style that still fit exceptionally well. I might suppose that any issues are resolved in the fittings and that Luca's measurements are enough to get started.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Pardon my ignorance but I'm really confused now. I thought that the cutter/fitter influences the shape, fit of the suit - the tailor pieces it all together.

If Luca's the one that's travelling and he's the one doing the fitting, won't the garment then take on whichever 'style' he represents?

Neither Luca nor Mariano are cutters. They may take initial measurements and liaise with the tailor who is making your garment during fittings, and they are responsible for the ultimate outcome, but they aren't in the back cutting cloth or sewing.

Originally Posted by gdl203
The bespoke seem to fit better but the styling on the MTM seems more attractive to me - I can't really explain it but I think the MTM ones are better looking garments. The cut on #5 is especially unflattering IMO - makes him look chubby.

I think the MTM Attolini dinner suit is one of the worst, and arguably the worst, of the whole bunch. It really looks just like RTW adjusted by a lazy alterations tailor. Not too hot on the style, either: the peaks looks like they are going to lift-off at any given moment.

That said, the other MTM example is much better looking. I don't understand the discrepancy. I can see why one might prefer it over the bespoke, but chest shaping is really important to me.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they all look great in their own way. I'd be happy with any one of them. All of them seem to have a more relaxed style than one often sees which I appreciate. They are not clean and lean. The one thing I might suggest is to lower your next commission a half inch. On some items the quarters seem a bit scrunched.

Thanks for the comparison! Very gracious of you.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For your body habitus, Attolini [and maybe Liverano & Liverano].

- M

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I think they all look great in their own way. I'd be happy with any one of them.

I can't say that about the Steeds.

Vox' Steeds make me want to meet with Edwin and yet these do not.

Doxe

Reaction score
Montesquieu,

Which of the suits feels like it fits your body the best?

The reason I ask is that in the past Vox has had people comment that his Solito fits better than his Steed, only to be told by Vox that the Steed is more shapely and fitted and the 2 dimensional picture does not capture the full shape of the suit.

Also, what are the weights of the fabrics on the Steed suits? My own experience is that a suit needs to settle on the body. Usually the heavier the cloth the longer it takes for the suit to properly conform. Does this explain the odd collar roll on the Steeds above the button?

Fit notwithstanding, I love the fabrics you've chosen. Particularly the Steed #5 and the Attolini #1.

Thanks for posting your pics and opening yourself to potential (inevitable) criticism (abuse).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads