• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Guerlain L'Instant for a long Easter day ahead.

As for Vetivers: I like Guerlain's better than anything else I've tried. Carven and Givenchy's vetivers are said to be excellent as well, but I've never tried them. Puig's Vetiver is kind of muddy, but I'm curious how Zara's Vetiver stacks up.

Surfy.MB

Reaction score
Agua di Gio works for me today:).

But why I'm actually writing: Guys, we are conducting a university survey on beauty products, and it's pretty tough to get some men's responses. Please, is there any chance that you could help us by completing this survey, even though it might be considered a
spam[1].gif
here? It would be a great help to us! Thanks a lot!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
Divine's L'Homme Sage on Easter Morning.

I had a decant of L'Homme Sage about a year ago. I thought it was very refined, well-constructed masculine scent. I might have to get another decant.

Secretions Magnifiques for me today.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surfy.MB
Agua di Gio works for me today:).

But why I'm actually writing: Guys, we are conducting a university survey on beauty products, and it's pretty tough to get some men's responses. Please, is there any chance that you could help us by completing this survey, even though it might be considered a
spam[1].gif
here? It would be a great help to us! Thanks a lot!

your survey sucks, I got 1/3 through it and quit.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
your survey sucks, I got 1/3 through it and quit.

man, you missed all the fun. I think the survey was sponsored by Diesel.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: wearing Chanel Pour Monsieur. I've been telling myself to wear this more often, and so now I am.

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
man, you missed all the fun. I think the survey was sponsored by Diesel.

Thought I'd give it a shot, but got bored about 6-8 questions in.

Today I'm sampling Bond No.9 Central Park. I get pine tree, lemon, wood, a hint of mint at times. Classified by Bond as unisex, I'd say definitely more masculine. Seems like it would be a good summer scent. The scent is very familiar...seems like something I recognize from a household cleaner or air freshener (not meant to be a knock on it). I'd like to get a decant of this, but probably just because I'm such a Bond fan boy.

Edit: not even lunch time, and I barely smell anything anymore. If I had to pick an overpriced summer frag with low longevity, I'd prefer the FM Geranium.

Largo

Reaction score
What do you scent illuminati think of the Varvatos cologne (the first one, in the black leather wrapped bottle)? I got a sniff of it and liked the odd note of what is apparently tamarind leaves (so they say), but I don't have a particularly refined nose for most colognes.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Largo
What do you scent illuminati think of the Varvatos cologne (the first one, in the black leather wrapped bottle)? I got a sniff of it and liked the odd note of what is apparently tamarind leaves (so they say), but I don't have a particularly refined nose for most colognes.

I think it's great.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Largo

I'm probably not among the scent illuminati, but FWIW I think it's a remarkable, innovative fragrance. There's nothing on the market that I'm aware of that resembles it. To me it seems like a more casual fragrance--probably because of the sweetness. I typically only wear it on weekends and on other less formal occasions. But it really is a great fragrance.

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I'm probably not among the scent illuminati, but FWIW I think it's a remarkable, innovative fragrance. There's nothing on the market that I'm aware of that resembles it. To me it seems like a more casual fragrance--probably because of the sweetness. I typically only wear it on weekends and on other less formal occasions. But it really is a great fragrance.

+1

My non-illuminati opinion is pretty similar. I don't own it, but my recollection from sampling it was that it was more of a casual/evening scent for me due to the sweetness. Not that it's overly cloying or anything. FWIW, I frequently see it selling at discount stores like Marshalls for $30 something.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Both are pretty popular. Over the past week I've tried my decant of Live Jazz twice just to see if I could get what all the love is about but frankly I find it has very little personality, and on me at least, almost no sillage or longevity and I sprayed a plenty. I was thinking of buying a bottle (parfum1. com has it for like $20, plus often 20-25% off sales), but it just didn't do anything for me. Shame, since it's cheap and so many like it. Maybe I'm missing something?

Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
My experience with Live Jazz is like Master-Classter's: I've seen it mentioned favorably quite a lot here, and it's a regular at TJ Maxx, so I thought it would be worth a try. But for whatever reason I hardly ever find myself reaching for it.

Originally Posted by Baron
I've had a decant of Live Jazz for several years and I've just warmed up to it this past year. I didn't find that it lacked personality - instead it seemed almost too big with too much sillage. I've gotten used to it and I do like it now, but it's still not my prefered style for warm weather. Sometime fougere scents have strong locker room vibe to me, and this one has it in spades. I like the citrus and the mint, but I can't see it becoming that regular in my rotation.

Originally Posted by needshoehelp
I tried the regular Jazz not too long ago and found it sour. It got better as the day wore on, but not enough for me to keep it.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Live Jazz reminded me of Platinum Egoiste for some reason: the fresh, shiny fougere.

Thank you all for the replies on Jazz and Live Jazz. I am gonna give Live Jazz another go on a warm day in the next few weeks. I want to like it because it is cheap, but it does not seem to do enough for me to reach for it in favor of other scents. I still need to sample the regular Jazz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads