• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tapering jeans

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Hmmm. I'd say an inch across (2" circumference) is an insane amount to taper and then to expect that the jeans will still have a good silhouette. 1/2" across is about as much as you might be able to get away with. I'd offer that you'd be better off selling/abandoning those and buy a new pair. Or try it and see, since they can be let out again.

Full vintage legs are better off cuffed in that situation, IMO.

Yea I can just cuff them if they don't turn out how I want them to. I don't mind cuffing jeans and it would look pretty good with this pair, I just wanted to experiment a little. And like you said, they can always be let out again.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjones416
im confused about the tapering but can i get size 36x34 jeans to fit like a 34x32?
Not without getting pleats

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Not without getting pleats

im confused about the tapering but can i get size 36x34 jeans to fit like a 34x32?

It's a pain ********** and most likely expensive. You can modify the fit of the jean in the thighs and legs pretty easily. When you try to get into the actual waist band, things get ugly pretty quick.

rjones416

Reaction score
would hemming and doing a soak or shrinking in the dryer help at all? or is that only for raw denim?

Big Muscle

Reaction score
would hemming and doing a soak or shrinking in the dryer help at all? or is that only for raw denim?
I tried washing my Levi's 582 at 90°C in washing machine and it didn't shrink at all. I'm not sure about dryer, because I don't have it.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tapered my Uniqlo S-001 denim to 7.5" from the knee down.

Definitely liking the new fit.

I don't think I'd go below 7.5", due to my bigger-than-normal thighs. Do not want that MC Hammer type fit.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have similiar problem, they fit good in calves but they are too wide at the hem,
is it possible to narrow them only from the half way from the knee down or not ?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads