• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
buying art is more like investing in a commodity than buying a "disposable consumable" as you put it. "talent" has never been the sole driving force behind the art market, and there are plenty of artists with the ability to make realistic works, but who choose to delve into abstraction. artistic expression is more about articulating something within the culture you belong to, and the business side of it is like a lot of other businesses. it involves how you market yourself, who you know, how well you hustle, etc...

maybe Rembrandt wasn't the best painter in the world during his lifetime, but something about his emotional, dark works highlighted some cultural undercurrent or mindset that made him popular. these days, with a more globalized and literate art market, and a greater knowledge of the art histories of several cultures, this is expressed in subtler and complex ways. "Western" art had a dilemma of the figure to resolve beginning around the time of the Impressionist movement, but contrast that with some place like India, where accurate figurative representation was never an important part of the art world or of what was considered artistic talent.

The obsession with realistic paintings is a pretty Western-centric phenomenon and is boring as ****, which is why realistic paintings are relegated mainly to crafts fairs and decorators galleries these days.

The solution is Patrick Nagel.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like most of MC Escher's stuff, optical illusions and whatnot. At least no one claims his stuff "looks like a 5 year old did it."

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
I also like most of MC Escher's stuff, optical illusions and whatnot. At least no one claims his stuff "looks like a 5 year old did it."

Escher is great indeed. I really like his attention to detail and the idea's he had.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Dental office waiting rooms are forever indebted to Escher.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The solution is Patrick Nagel.

nagel was the bomb.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
nagel was the bomb.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

With the right chunky black Italian lacquer coffee table, a Richard Meier interior and a few Patrick Nagels strewn about, you have the perfect coke pad.

insomb

Reaction score
Any of you guys like Ian Francis? He's a Juxtapoz artist, one of the only ones I'm crazy about.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Skillful, but I'm indifferent. I prefer a colder color palette.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Very nice. I find most contemporary paintings I respond to are based in illustration, and that's no exception. What exactly is going on in that second one?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
^^^ Very nice. I find most contemporary paintings I respond to are based in illustration, and that's no exception. What exactly is going on in that second one?

Indian Shaman (shamen?) from 11th century New Jersey are viewing the future Hindenburg disaster as through a glass darkly.

insomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Indian Shaman (shamen?) from 11th century New Jersey are viewing the future Hindenburg disaster as through a glass darkly.

Something along those lines. I viewed it as an apocolyptic vision while on vaca, don't really know. Here's his site if you guys wanna' check out more, he's going more experimental lately. http://www.ifrancis.co.uk/

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I decided today that Louise Nevelson is the greatest American sculptor.

bumper crop

Reaction score
i think that honor might belong to calder, but she was pretty awesome.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I decided today that Louise Nevelson is the greatest American sculptor.
i prefer louise bourgeois
029.jpg

bumper crop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by howlingwolfpress
4485361306_6048cda807_o.jpg

rockwell was a ruler. way more clever and intelligent than given credit for. and waaaaay dialed technically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads