• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

randob300

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Yeah, don't know why I can't move those, although I do have a nibble. Maybe I should donate them back.

If they were 9's I would have bought them a while ago. Look great for running quick errands and the such.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still in a slump, but I actually found something to buy today to make the trip worthwhile. Not my size, but I've heard people talk good about Hanover shoes here and being in the condition they were in, I just had to grab them. I'm no shoe expert, but I'm pretty sure these are not shell due to the tiny creases in the leather. Still, looks like they were only worn once or twice. Sz 9 1/2 C
DSC09732.jpg
DSC09734.jpg

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan, I wish it was all at my house
plain.gif
This is the time of year that thrifting gets dreadfully slow, and borderline not worth the time.

28j9q85.jpg

nwot oxxford jacket
recent jpress madras jacket
turnbull asser shirt
loro piana shirt
hickey freeman tie
turnbull asser tie

not picture: vintage north face down coat, some AE's, pair of alden tassel loafers that need some polishing, plus the sunglasses i posted a couple pages back

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku

DSC09732.jpg

I have several pairs of Hanover LB Sheppards - best of their lines - and they're just a hair under Florsheim imperials in terms of overall quality and fit (for me). On the other hand, the flat, waxed laces are always a nice - much better than round, waxed in my experience
teacha.gif

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I like that LP shirt. If it's a M-L, I'd gladly take it off your hands if you're looking to sell.

XL unfortunately. Off it will go to ebay to fund some more gas money... LP makes some awesome casual shirts, just way, way too $$$

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a poorly shot teaser of what you'll soon be seeing.

93fd380b.jpg

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoofit
I'm really trying to decide whether I should jump for re-crafting with these while the deal is still running this weekend. I already could use another pair of shoe trees and some polish... but then again, maybe that is just plain spending too much money on a used pair of shoes (it's not like re-crafting touches the insole).

That pair still looks like they have a ton of wear left on the soles. Just put some lexol on them the moisturize the skins and then polish them up. They will look great.[/quote]

I agree the soles are in great shape. It's amazing what some condtioner and polish will do. If you don't have some, I highly recommend the AE condtioner/cleaner.

rayxlui

Reaction score
I finally decided to get off my lazy bum and go thrifting and it kinda rewarded me.

Picked up a Gieves and Hawkes shirt, has a smudge, but for 4 dollars it seemed worth it to try and get it out.

Also picked up a Burberry bag and shirt as well and a Tumi bag.

All for $20.

Also so an Oxxford suit, excellent condition, but I didn't really want it. It was $30, if anyone wants it I could go pick it up tomorrow.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rayxlui
I finally decided to get off my lazy bum and go thrifting and it kinda rewarded me.

Picked up a Gieves and Hawkes shirt, has a smudge, but for 4 dollars it seemed worth it to try and get it out.

Also picked up a Burberry bag and shirt as well and a Tumi bag.

All for $20.

Also so an Oxxford suit, excellent condition, but I didn't really want it. It was $30, if anyone wants it I could go pick it up tomorrow.

Size/Color?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left a pair of RM Williams boots, worn once, size 12G, $90 in a Cary, NC GW, (Kildaire Farm Rd and TenTen). Not a bad deal if you can use them.

Unproductive trip to the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) today. I hit 5 independent stores and 5 GW's. Results are 1 pair of shoe trees, 1 paisley Polo RL shirt, 1 pair of Izod shorts, 1 pair of Filson chinos, 1 LL Bean wool sweater, and a Polo RL madras tie. Not one sport coat, suit or pair of shoes. This has been a productive trip in the past.

I attempted to match up 25+ orphan suit coats with no success. Brands included multiple Norman Hiltons, Southwicks, HS&M Gold Trumpeters, Britches of Georgetownes, etc. Thanks to Goodwill, the Triangle of North Carolina has to be a world leader in orphan suit coats. I know that some jackets will be donated as orphans and that some pants will be worn out and discarded, but not 95%. These stores have at least 95% of their suit coats orphaned.

When I go to small independent thrifts, about 90% of suit coats have their pants with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads