• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Creme brulee french toast sounds excellent.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
shops I like Glory, a few doors down from Confederacy, Umami and Wacko's. I dig their in house tshirts. great fit and cool images Paul Smith's pink palace of goodness on 8221 Melrose Ave the new Secret Service shop on Santa Fe is really awesome, inside an old fire department station Posers on Melrose, a Fred Perry/Ben Sherman/Merc/Doc Marten/George Cox superstore Food: Fosselman's Ice Cream in Alhambra Fair Oaks Pharmacy in South Pasadena for an old school ice cream shoppe Vito's pizza in W LA, as mentioned by Whodini Previously mentioned Golden State burgers in W LA an LA institution, Phillipe's french dip on Alameda just 2 blocks from Union Station

billsayers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
an LA institution, Phillipe's french dip on Alameda just 2 blocks from Union Station
I much prefer Cole's in downtown over Philippe's for french dip. Restaurant is a lot nicer too and they make stiff drinks. http://colesfrenchdip.com/

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Nickel Diner in downtown, near Coles

the BEST BEST macaroni and cheese I've ever had. Has a nice kick to it and isnt the soupy kind of mac n cheese but a thick fork eating consistency. They are known for their bacon bits donut which is really good, but I prefer their red velvet donut.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Some good budget ones: Deli: Langer's and Greenblatt's (Greenblatt's loses points for having awful waiters though) Cheap Korean: Soot Bull Jeep Cheap Sushi: Hama Dive Bar: Cosmos (don't ruin my spot) Peruvian: Mario's Polish: Polka French brunch: Canele Vietnamese: Via Cuban: Versailles (any of them) Late night greasy Mexican: El Atacor #11 (the one right next to footsies), for daytime I agree with Whodini. Yuca or maybe Senor Fish Wine Bar in a strip mall: Lou or 55 Degree Museum: Armand Hammer Dry Cleaner: T J DryCleaner Tailor: Viktors (Crazy expensive, but amazing attention to detail) Shoe Repair: Sedler's Printing Press: Aardvark Typographer Gallery: China Art Objects

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Posers on Melrose, a Fred Perry/Ben Sherman/Merc/Doc Marten/George Cox superstore
Posers! I went here to buy my Merc gear in high school. The name couldn't have been more appropriate. Fair Oaks Pharmacy is kinda lame.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
Posers! I went here to buy my Merc gear in high school. The name couldn't have been more appropriate. Fair Oaks Pharmacy is kinda lame.
it wasnt called Posers until recently, but the shop has been there for years. Altho there was a Poseurs back in the 80s on Hollywood that was a similar shop run by a class geezer named Jim. to be fair, the Pharmacy used to be awesome until about 5 years ago. Before that the workers were quite a few rockabilly/swing cats which added a lot of ambience to the place, and the music was always vintage swing or rockabilly. The fact that there was a vintage movie/music store 2 doors down helped bring in a cool "vintage" crowd that made the Pharmacy more "hep". But the ice cream menu there is still great, even if the atmosphere isnt what it used to be.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
it wasnt called Posers until recently, but the shop has been there for years. Altho there was a Poseurs back in the 80s on Hollywood that was a similar shop run by a class geezer named Jim.
pretty sure it's the same store, but whatever it was called in the late 90s. posers would have been appropriate. anyone have good chinese food recommendations outside of the San Gabriel Valley? i like Golden City in Chinatown alright, but it's nothing special. I'm going to add Ruen Pair to the list for Thai food. Wat Dong Moon Lek isn't bad either.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Whodini and I went to his little "invite only Grand Opening" party back in Feb. Pretty funny, due to the sketchy previous tenant in that space the city MADE him have a security team, valet parking, and you had to be on his list to get in otherwise you were turned away by security. Inside was an open bar and the place was packed. The space is huge, not surprising since it used to be an old fire house. There are 3 separate buildings on his property, the main store, one space he is using as a garage for the Deux Ex Machina motorcycles he works on, and another space which looks like it would make for a great place to have bands play at store parties. That's his thing now btw, he is the only official retailer of Deux bikes and clothes in USA, afaik. Clothes-wise, it's the stuff he had at the old S/S (of course a lot of Crate) but added a ton of stock with the Deux clothes which are a mix of tshirts, coats and jackets, jeans, shirts. The denim stuff looks good, all selvedge jeans and iirc retail around 150. My fave item he has is the Deux version of a Type I denim jacket which is 225. Some cool tshirts as well. It's a huge space, bigger than any other similar store in LA, with little nook/cranny rooms that he's used as a display room to show old equipment, surfboards etc. Don't know the exact hours he's keeping there, that's one thing I couldnt really get a firm answer of what their official hours are but I'm assuming if you go during normal business hours it should be open. I *think* he mentioned turning the old S/S space into a coffee shop??? Whodini can probably fill in some blanks or correct me if I'm wrong about something. In hindsight we should have taken photos, but the party was when I was taking a break from this place and SF was the last thing on my mind
smile.gif

martial

Reaction score
Porto's Bakery in Burbank or Glendale!

Father's Office for a beer and burger

JonB27

Reaction score
Bodega wine bar, Pasadena, happy hour everyday from 4-7.
The Must wine bar, downtown
Pita Kitchen, Ventura Blvd and Van Nuys, hole in the wall with good food.
The Stand, Ventura Blvd, good hot dogs

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drinks:
Bar 107 (downtown)
Downtown Independent - for shows
Varnish (downtown)

Shop
Warriors of radness-fairfax zone
mollusk- venice

Eat:
mozza2go (hwood)
umami
coles(downtown
sushi go 55( jtown)
akasha(culver)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads