• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

scugger

Reaction score
Testing YSL Live Jazz today. Seems pretty nice and light. Non-offensive, not overly synthetic. Probably good for summer. Has anyone else tried this? Or the regular Jazz?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I like Live Jazz

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boo
Sampling Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur today. Very fresh and minty, but seems to go close to the skin on me after just a short period. I'll have to try again on a warmer day.
got a PFC sample of that one and felt the same way. Very promising opening, sort of minty floral thing, then pretty quickly died down to a skin scent. It was there, but I guess I like my wardrobe staples to have a little "oomph". Just like you, I'm waiting for the right time to try it again to see if it's tricky, but as usual, I have a feeling first impressions will be the right ones
Originally Posted by scugger
Testing YSL Live Jazz today. Seems pretty nice and light. Non-offensive, not overly synthetic. Probably good for summer. Has anyone else tried this? Or the regular Jazz?
Both are pretty popular. Over the past week I've tried my decant of Live Jazz twice just to see if I could get what all the love is about but frankly I find it has very little personality, and on me at least, almost no sillage or longevity and I sprayed a plenty. I was thinking of buying a bottle (parfum1. com has it for like $20, plus often 20-25% off sales), but it just didn't do anything for me. Shame, since it's cheap and so many like it. Maybe I'm missing something? Today, Guerlain Homme from a decant. Better then average, but just. If it weren't Guerlain I probably would tell you how crappy it is. I did get a whiff of that vanilla "Guerlainade" note in the opening though. PS - swap box will be mailed off to Arlee in a couple o' days

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My experience with Live Jazz is like Master-Classter's: I've seen it mentioned favorably quite a lot here, and it's a regular at TJ Maxx, so I thought it would be worth a try. But for whatever reason I hardly ever find myself reaching for it.

Yesterday: Rose Poivree
Today: Kiton Napoli

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had a decant of Live Jazz for several years and I've just warmed up to it this past year. I didn't find that it lacked personality - instead it seemed almost too big with too much sillage. I've gotten used to it and I do like it now, but it's still not my prefered style for warm weather. Sometime fougere scents have strong locker room vibe to me, and this one has it in spades. I like the citrus and the mint, but I can't see it becoming that regular in my rotation.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the regular Jazz not too long ago and found it sour. It got better as the day wore on, but not enough for me to keep it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Live Jazz reminded me of Platinum Egoiste for some reason: the fresh, shiny fougere.

Today, though: Habit Rouge for a slow Friday at the office.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Le Feu d'Issey today. It's a shame that this one was discontinued, but I can understand why it didn't catch on. It's a very strange fragrance. It's one of my favorites for summer.

boo

Reaction score
Sampling Frederic Malle Outrageous today. Very interesting synthetic fresh scent with a hint of lime. It's somehow very extroverted for a fresh scent and projects well, at least much better compared to the Geranium. It does have a casual feel and doesn't feel like something that would go with a suit. I like it, but I don't think enough to buy a full bottle at retail. Uggh...I'm dying to pull the trigger on another bottle, but I'm trying to maintain some discipline after my Kilian purchase.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jardin apres la mousson today. I'm a big fan of the other Jardins, but I don't like this one as much as I thought I would. It's mostly relegated to weekend wear.

boo

Reaction score
Wore Chez Bond today. I'm noticing that longevity doesn't seem to be that great compared to the other Bonds on me. Probably going with By Kilian Back to Black tonight.

Sort of PSA: Was told by a Saks SA that Bond No 9 would be having a buy two, get one free event sometime this or next month.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's one of those days: where I run, shower, and I'm still sweating after the shower. Guerlain Vetiver (current formulation), light, clean, fresh.

PITAronin

Reaction score
With the weather turning warmer, I'm thinking of adding a vetiver into the rotation. Years ago I wore Guerlain and liked it, but wanted to ask if any of the rest of you had particular favorites.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
With the weather turning warmer, I'm thinking of adding a vetiver into the rotation. Years ago I wore Guerlain and liked it, but wanted to ask if any of the rest of you had particular favorites.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is pretty good. Cleaner than Guerlain's. No tobacco note.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads