• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricotta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sydguy
I got the email through to my work account, it is picture heavy and contains links so it could get blocked in some work filters!
Not everything is discounted. I trid on the "normal" suits which were discounted but I felt it was a little long, the bottom of the jacket looked to low.
The Osaka cut on the other hand is fantastic length. Perfect fit, I would struggle to find a way to alter the jacket, and the pants are fitted but not too fitted if you know what I mean. Alas they were not discounted so I will have to talk the wife around on that one!

I suspect the shoes will not be discounted, but I did not check. I visited the Chifley Plaza store. When I mentioned to the female sales assistant I thought the pants fitted well she said "Yes they did, unlike the pants I wore into the store." hahaha had had a good laugh - no punches pulled.

you tried on the pants she wore into the store?

blush.gif

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Shoes are not on sale. Just be thankful we can get them in Sydney now
smile.gif

I didn't really check out the sale as I was there soley (excuse the pun), to get some Belgraves. Having said that all ties are 30% off and they have some very nice ties.

Ethan made some good choices in the C&J's Herringbone stock (see his blog for more details). If I had the means I would have got the suede monk straps as well.

CJ.jpg

Sydguy

Reaction score
Hahaha terribly worded! The pants I wore into the store... which on reflection are not baggy but not fitted. I got them from Anthony Squires which I think do a more traditional fit.
I get stuck with the fit of pants often, I hate anything that is very slim, but then you don't want work wear to be baggy. Often clothing is either a classic or slim and not much in between. Saying that the Osaka was great, I think I will have to bite the bullet and grab one.

I recently bought a Sportscraft suit, it was cheap, fitted nicely with minor alterations but I can't be sure on its quality. I ordered a suit from that Ebay Wizard of Aahs guy but the pants were super tight, jacket was nice and the feel was great. I still need probably 2 or 3 more suits for work.

I am trying to get a few suits without breaking the bank, first child just born, wife off work for a few months, and I am hitting my first winter in office work. Hence trawling this site and trying to get items that fit well on me and within budget. Still might splash out on an Osaka cut just for an extra snappy suit!

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
I have quite a few casual clothing items from sportscraft... I like their fit and the quality is not too bad. You'd probably like the fit of their chinos.. not too baggy, not too skinny. Can't comment on their suits, but some of their sports coats look ok.

Sydguy

Reaction score
Very nice shoes! Are you going to wear them with a suit? Or just dressy casual?

For a chino style pants I have a Navy blue Rod & Gunn Regular fit, which I have started wearing a lot of, they are so comfortable.

On the topic of ties, Hbone have nice ties, I just don't know the "rule" with ties... Finance Director wears a tie, my team manager does not, should I be wearing a tie? I guess being in a Finance Dept of a law firm we are a bit sheltered from the dressy legal side.

At the moment I keep my ties in my desk drawer at work, and that leds to other people borrowing them for meetings/functions etc...

Anyway enjoy the shoes! I'll be on the look out in town for a guy wearing them! hahaha

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice shoes!

Re ties, I don't work in finance and can wear what I want to work (to an extent
). If I feel like wearing one I do, if I don't I don't. Being forced to wear an item of clothing is in my opinion the last step before it feels like a uniform. But... I dress to please myself.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Thanks. The chestnut is beautiful. I was originally going to get black but changed my mind. I'll be wearing these mainly with suits.

On the subject of ties I think if you're in finance no one would care if you wear a tie everyday.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sydguy

At the moment I keep my ties in my desk drawer at work, and that leds to other people borrowing them for meetings/functions etc...

What??

One thing I can't stand is lending/borrowing clothes - even with friends.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Thanks. The chestnut is beautiful. I was originally going to get black but changed my mind. I'll be wearing these mainly with suits.

That Chestnut looks very close to a Burgundy or Oxblood to me? What does it look like irl?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had much experience with Austen Brothers shirts? Quality? Fit?

Also, a real long shot here - Can anyone get any discounts at Arthur Galan or DJ's? Im keen on a trench they have but I just dont see it worth the $600 they're asking

Sydguy

Reaction score
DJ's do give good rates to holders of the Dj's card. I think they still have 30% off if you purchase two suits on your DJ's card. Cardholders get invites to discount nights etc... track someone down who has a card and that might help.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Ah well - there you go.

Having no actual chestnuts or oxblood and only a cleanskin Shiraz in place of a Burgundy - who am I to argue.

The photos don't show the true colour very well, so fair call. The colour was the main reason I flipped from black to chestnut.

This site has a truer representation

C&Js

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
The photos don't show the true colour very well, so fair call. The colour was the main reason I flipped from black to chestnut.

This site has a truer representation

C&Js

Thanks - I'm not snarking - just curious as colours are so subjective. One man's chestnut is another man's walnut or pistachio...

The C&J site (well P Lal really) does show it up well by the contrast with other colours.

I can see where it sits as a colour between Tan and Dark Brown - at least in their range. It does seem to have a deep red in it that's not so apparent in the dark brown.

I noticed in Henry Bucks today (no I didn't buy anything) they had Loake Elland for $400 a pair. Pediwear has them here for around aud$155 + $30 postage - AND a FREE tie - no steak knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads