• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are white pants totally useless?

stylemeup

Reaction score
The other day I wore a pair of white pants for the first time. I had heard the cliches about how white sucks because all the dirt shows. I thought I will simply be extra vigiliant not to spill things on my white pants and I'd be ok. But I was wrong. Merely walking around caused the pants to acquire obscene stain marks all over the place, starting less than half an hour after I left the house, and getting worse all day long.

So I want to know, are white pants totally useless?

If not, what is the practical use that they have?

Is there any way to use white pants and not have them look like crap shortly after leaving the house?

randob300

Reaction score
They're good for WAYWRN photos. Got to admit, they look great for 15 minutes in a controlled environment.

I'm with you, white just doesn't work for me in the real world.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair of white linen pants that I wore quite a bit last summer. Yes, it was hard to keep them stain-free before the end of the day, but because they're washable, I didn't worry too much about it. I'm looking forward to wearing them again in a couple of months. I won't buy non-washable white pants since I typically have to clean them after each wear.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my pair in a Mexican village for a week. No stains except for some brown dirt near the cuffs, and not very noticeable at that. Don't wipe your hands on your thighs, grubby little children.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a few pairs, including linen and jeans. As long as it's not a rainy/muddy day they've always been okay. Mind you, one of the pairs of white jeans is for horse-riding and they DO get dirty.

Petko

Reaction score
I also share in your frustrations. As hard as one might try to keep a pair of white trousers spotless, there will always the odd brush against something or itchy thigh. Thankfully, off-whites and light beiges are much better at hiding such stains/marks while offering pretty much the same matching options as white.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rule of thumb is that you need twice as many pair of white to get the same wear that you would from something like gray. They are at the laundry more often and in turn that shortens their life.

But still, they look great with a navy jacket.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
Is there any way to use white pants and not have them look like crap shortly after leaving the house?

From Miami-based observation, I think you need to be Brazilian.

Morgan

Reaction score
As with white shoes (like bucks or two-tone saddles), you've got to have a relaxed attitude about it and just accept that smudges are part of the look. If you're wearing white pants, you're presumably in a casual environment, and a little stain here or there comes with the territory. Just roll with it and you'll live a longer, more stress-free life.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Rule of thumb is that you need twice as many pair of white to get the same wear that you would from something like gray. They are at the laundry more often and in turn that shortens their life.

But still, they look great with a navy jacket.

This

Originally Posted by Morgan
As with white shoes (like bucks or two-tone saddles), you've got to have a relaxed attitude about it and just accept that smudges are part of the look. If you're wearing white pants, you're presumably in a casual environment, and a little stain here or there comes with the territory. Just roll with it and you'll live a longer, more stress-free life.

And this.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they mark, and personally I can't get more than a day's wear out of them but I like them so put up with it...

I buy relatively cheap cotton ones so if they mark it's not the end of the world.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i'm glad i have my pairs. not useful for every situation, but perfect for some.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randob300
They're good for WAYWRN photos. Got to admit, they look great for 15 minutes in a controlled environment.

I'm with you, white just doesn't work for me in the real world.

What about white shirts then?
confused.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
What about white shirts then?
confused.gif

I wash white shirts after every wear, just like white pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads