• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Ok back on topic. I actually created this compilation on the various Indys that are out there on my PC. I have to thank zippyh and amlai for this obsession.
devil.gif
Figure i'd post it here so everybody can check it out. Alden: 403, 405, 404
stock.jpg
Alden of Carmel: AF76 Black Shell Indy
aofcblackindy.jpg
Epaulet: Officer Indy
epofficerindy.jpg
Black and Tan Indy
epblackandtan.jpg
J.Crew J.Crew Indy
jcrewindy.jpg
J. Gilbert: #8 Cordovan Indy
jgilbertcordoindy.jpg
LeatherSoul: Tan Suede Indy
lstsuindy.jpg
Snuff Suede Indy
lssnuffindy.jpg
Ultimate Indy Brown Chromexcel
lsuii1.jpg
Ultimate Indy Black
lsblackindy.jpg
Ultimate Indy Kudu
lskuduindy.jpg
#8 Cordovan Indy
ls8indy.jpg
Black Cordovan Indy
lsblackcindy.jpg
Cigar Cordovan Indy
lscigarindy.jpg
Whiskey Cordovan Indy
lswhiskeyindy.jpg
Repro Indy
lsreproindy.jpg
Vintage Indy
lsvintageindy.jpg
Leffot J.C. Indy
leffotjcindy.jpg
The ShoeMart 40514H
thesm40514h.jpg
40517H
thesm40517h.jpg
40513HC
1P_40513HC.jpg
40568C
1P_40568C.jpg
I probably missed a few here and there. There are also new makeups coming out but I didn't include them in the list. I find it quite interesting that demand for the Indy boot would create this much variation.
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^thanks for the pics dex clears up much confusion

The only problems we hear about are on indys what does this have to do with the rest of the shoes they make? Stop crapping up my thread.

PETEROCK1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
Ok back on topic. I actually created this compilation on the various Indys that are out there on my PC. I have to thank zippyh and amlai for this obsession.
devil.gif
Snuff Suede Indy
lssnuffindy.jpg

i might have to bite the bullet and pre-order these
devil.gif
also....... is there any place i can find these? Cigar Cordovan Indy
lscigarindy.jpg
i might need these to go with my wedding suit
DSC_7703-1.jpg

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
WOOW! The new Leather Soul Exclusive Alden boot, Grant Captoe Flex Boot looks amazing!
eek.gif

gc1.jpg
gc2.jpg

gc3.jpg
gc4.jpg

Wow is right! I haven't seen this shade of brown calfskin before.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is a bit blown out of proportion though. How many problematic Aldens are out there compared to good ones? How many satisfied customer are there compared to unsatisfied ones? Most of the time, people just remember what a brand does wrong and that is what sticks into their minds while the positives are forgotten, at least to those that reads and have not experienced it first hand. I've seen this happen to many companies, not just shoes but clothes, watch, cars, etc...

No one company is perfect but from what I've read, Alden seems to fix the problem without much of a hassle. Some may get fixed right away while the other doesn't, but overall I believe they do try and sort out the problem.

Even with the problems Alden have been having, I still not see a reason to warrant bringing another brand to the Official Alden thread just because they are "better." I am pretty sure there have been plenty of complaints about AE too, I'm just not familiar with it because I never looked.

But hey, thats just me.

unless this is the "sing praises of Alden thread while ignoring anything potentially bad" then of course there is merit to bringing it up. the thread should be about Alden - what they are great at, what they are poor at, why you love them, why you don't, anything you feel like discussing them at all.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Thanks Dexter for compiling that batch of Indy pics. There has definitely been some confusion lately about the different chromexcel versions and such.

Don't listen to people who rarely have anything interesting or informative to contribute to "their" thread!

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PETEROCK1
i might have to bite the bullet and pre-order these
devil.gif

also....... is there any place i can find these?

Cigar Cordovan Indy
lscigarindy.jpg

i might need these to go with my wedding suit

DSC_7703-1.jpg

Congrats Peterock!

Is that an Al's suit you're rocking?

PETEROCK1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Congrats Peterock!

Is that an Al's suit you're rocking?

thanks jason, and yes it is!

if there's anything else anyone can recommend on a boot that would go with suit, please do. i also like this......

AF78_view05.jpg

AF78_view06.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
unless this is the "sing praises of Alden thread while ignoring anything potentially bad" then of course there is merit to bringing it up. the thread should be about Alden - what they are great at, what they are poor at, why you love them, why you don't, anything you feel like discussing them at all.

That is fine and all, I got no problem with anyone saying why they do not like Alden but no need to bring AE into the conversation. This probably just puts more fuel to the fire so I'll leave it at that.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PETEROCK1
thanks jason, and yes it is!

if there's anything else anyone can recommend on a boot that would go with suit, please do.

The shoes you posted are nice. But if you're opting to wear a boot (esp one with brogues) with a m2m suit for your wedding, i would choose one with closed lacing. It will look much, much better.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's an Al's suit?

Dexter_

Reaction score
Shoes are pretty much no brainer for suits. Boots on the other hand are quite tricky. Look for one with blind eyelets and a thinner single leather sole for a dressy look. Plaza or one of the sleeker lasts would probably work best.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
I thought that the Grant last fit similar to the Aberdeen, no?

Those captoes are beauts....

Aberdeen is the most elongated of the Alden lasts. The Grant last is actually full, IMO, however not when you compare it to the Barrie. Yes, it is narrow than the Barrie but my no means is it narrow. I have the BBBF Longwing on the Grant Last and really like it.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I find the Grant last to be the ideal last - full, fairly broad toe box, but not Barrie blobish. I love my BBBF Longwings.

rick

Reaction score
Damn, that means I'm out. I already wear an 8E/EE in the Barrie/Trubalance last. Sucks because I have been looking/waiting for a regular calfskin captoe boots for about 1-2 years now (I was actually looking for one with rubber/dainite sole but I would have made this work) and I thought this might be it.

The search continues...

i saw a few pages back that winn perry has some captoe boots that you ccan pre-order due in september in calf and scotchgrain. give them a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads