• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tucking in dress shirts

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Military tuck as described earlier in this thread works really well. There are a ton of vidoes online that show how to do this ... I learnt this when I was in boy scouts back in school and have been following it ever since. Here is a sample video:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=1313494

Kent-wang like body hugging fit is NOT a solution to this problem. Dress shirts are supposed to be a bit baggy (but not tent-like) so that you can wear them comfortably all day long.

On a related note, I also like the military tuck for my ties. I do this once in a while and it always draws compliments. I love this look with a OCBD and a repp tie. Like the guy on the right extreme here:
uniform.jpg

Do any of you here like this too?

I don't know about like, but I will do it when I need to keep my tie from flopping out and into things -- loading the dishwasher; using the football pads in a lay-up line; eating soup, etc.

indigolee

Reaction score
shirt makers have been getting it wrong for so long, and even brooks brothers slim fit is like an potato sack. getting your shirt tailored can be expensive but undoubtedly the best option, if you can afford it.

i've tried buying shirts off-the-rack, and getting them taken in, but as already stated, this can still sometimes still leave baggage. there was a long while i used to get all my shirts custom tailored, but that started getting a bit expensive so i started trying custom online.

i've used www.blank-label.com a few times and am to-date pretty happy with the quality and the fit. it's a little annoying that you have to wait three weeks to get it, but if you're not in a rush, it's a pretty fun exercise and with shirts from $45, it's a pretty good option.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indigolee
shirt makers have been getting it wrong for so long, and even brooks brothers slim fit is like an potato sack. getting your shirt tailored can be expensive but undoubtedly the best option, if you can afford it.

i've tried buying shirts off-the-rack, and getting them taken in, but as already stated, this can still sometimes still leave baggage. there was a long while i used to get all my shirts custom tailored, but that started getting a bit expensive so i started trying custom online.

i've used www.blank-label.com a few times and am to-date pretty happy with the quality and the fit. it's a little annoying that you have to wait three weeks to get it, but if you're not in a rush, it's a pretty fun exercise and with shirts from $45, it's a pretty good option.

Anyone (who has more than 1 post and joined before March 2010) tried this place? It's hard to believe this isn't PR.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
It's hard to believe this isn't PR.

No! Really? What tipped you off?
wink.gif

Actually, I'm glad this thread got revived. Apparently, everyone who posts on SF has the body of a greek statue. Because if any of the posters in this thread had even 8 ounces of stomach fat, they would know that body-hugging shirts look really awful. Unless you have six-pack abs, it looks much better to wear a slightly looser shirt and then pull it up a little after you have initially tucked it in. When you do so, whatever paunch you have magically disappears.

There is a reason dress shirts are made out of cotton instead of spandex.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
No! Really? What tipped you off?
wink.gif

Actually, I'm glad this thread got revived. Apparently, everyone who posts on SF has the body of a greek statue. Because if any of the posters in this thread had even 8 ounces of stomach fat, they would know that body-hugging shirts look really awful. Unless you have six-pack abs, it looks much better to wear a slightly looser shirt and then pull it up a little after you have initially tucked it in. When you do so, whatever paunch you have magically disappears.

There is a reason dress shirts are made out of cotton instead of spandex.

Loose fitting shirts are rarely flattering on anybody. Nobody is advocating a painted on shirt. But even overweight folks look better with a well-shaped, fitted (to their particular body) shirt. What's the point of excess baggy fabric randomly dispersed?

Disclosure: I have a greek statue body.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Untucked is fine when you are in an informal environment.

A prisy view that it must be tucked whatever the situation is utterly unreal.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

I disagree. The way most people wear their untucked shirts make them look juvenile and sloppy.

donCarlos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

why do you think so? When I untuck my shirt, it´s a sign that I´m way too drunk to know what I´m doing and that I shall stop and go home.

coltboy75

Reaction score
But seriously, does anyone think having the rubber-type material in the inside waist band of the pant helps minimize the amount of shirt that is pulled out and bunches throughout the day? I've found, in the one or two pairs of pants that have this, that the friction works well enough in keeping the shirt tucked into place.[/quote]

I have one pair of slacks and one suit that has the rubber strips sewn inside the waistband. I feel they are very effective.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best way to go about this is the have the shirt fitted. You can do this by either bying pre tailored shirts or going to a tailor and having them take the sides in. I get it done to all of my shirts and they fit great not only dose it look nice but helps the shirt stay tucked in better as well.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I unzip the fly and tighten it up while tucked in. It works wonders. However, you are always reaching into your pants. LOL.

Also, wearing DB suits elimates this issue as you see only the very top of the shirt. It is only when wearing a SB suit, or just a shirt tucked into pants, that I am constantly messing with the tuck.

I am not rail thin, I can assure you. But, I don't like some messy, loose, ill tucked shirt hanging out making me look fat. A well tucked shirt is slimming.

Mike

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Darts my friend, darts.
wink.gif

Jon.

Guys who play darts are usually pretty fat. I guess that could help you fill some of it out.

I think you guys go overboard wearing super tight shirts that make you look young and fashionista-ish.

Sydguy

Reaction score
The rubber in the waist band does hold the tucked shirt better than a normal waist band. I don't have any of these anymore.

Tucking into underpants helps too, but I never find that comfy.

Presently I just size down and do not wear a tie. Just keep a few shirts on hand where you can comfortably do the top button up.

Obviously tailoring is the best option, and not getting too worried about it. If the shirt fits well the problem is negated. Unless I do some stretching/star jumps or the like tucking is not really an issue.

Not sure how darts would look... two seams on the back, I ssume they would be visible about the belt? Not for me I think. But I don't dwell on the tuck!

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
My dad was in the army, and he said that they do a fold on each side of the torso, so that there is no excess material in the front or back. This would create a "Z" fold on each side of your body.

Now, if you are wearing a coat I guess this would be OK, but if you are coatless, is this better or worse than putting all of the excess in the back?

This works well with military creases on a fairly trim person, and not so well if either one of those conditions are not met.

Shirt stays work well, and are comfortable if you know how to wear them. That pic was a good example of how not to wear them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads