• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BBBF OCBD / MTM Dress Shirt Project Help

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
The say what now?
shirring. BB bunches up the material to a compact set of "pleats" basically, which is quite different from this
DSC_2598.jpg

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
That looks really good. How much does it run?
$79
Originally Posted by cchen
the shirt looks great, but i really don't see the resemblance to BBBF (i own 5 and have sold numerous BBBF shirts)
It makes sense in my mind ... but I guess the bottom line is that I wanted a slim fitting OCBD, which is what this is.
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Nice shirt! Fit looks great. But that's ironed? Is a center box pleat a characteristic of a BBBF OCBD shirt? As MTM, you could have gone without.
blush.gif
Been watching this for some tips and inspiration. Believe it or not, I kind of like it ... it makes a slim shirt more comfortable when sitting down.
Originally Posted by edmorel
I think it looks great and classic, although I prefer the shirring on the BBBF sleeve where it attaches to the cuff. good lord you have long arms though.
I know dewd ... there is basically NO RTW shirt that has long enough sleeves for me. Michael Bastian is the only one, and his are too long.
Originally Posted by Eustace
Looks great. One of the better examples on here. I don't know what the tailor sources in terms of buttons, but BBBF are quite a bit thinner and MOP, if you're going for exactitude.
I think these are MOP, and are quite nice.
Originally Posted by Flieger
That shirt could fit King Louie from Jungle book.. Kidding. Looks good Gregaz, makes me want to start a project like this too.
lol8[1].gif
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Very cool. For reference purposes, what are the measurements on the collar? Do you know? Height, length of points, etc?
I measured out a BB OCBD and asked MT to make an exact copy, without the lining, etc. Here are the specs for you.
Originally Posted by anon
shirring. BB bunches up the material to a compact set of "pleats" basically, which is quite different from this
Thanks ... I was confused about this as well. May ask for this on my next order.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Looks great.

I have to see the collar buttoned before I'm sure about the collar, though.

- B

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Looks great. I have to see the collar buttoned before I'm sure about the collar, though. - B
Fair point ... I will try to take a closeup this evening. Here is a distance shot.
smile.gif
DSC_1945.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
DSC_2598.jpg

I happen to be wearing a BF shirt today. Shirring:
IMG_1869-1.jpg
lefty

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt looks like it came out very nice. It does a have good roll to it. I went to PL to get my shirts done and he did a great job on mine. YOU got a great price also.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just pulled the trigger on two similarly styled shirts from MyTailor, albeit in whimsically unrestrained checks and not solids. I'm hoping to arrive somewhere at the convergence of questionable and awesome.

Damn you for doing something cool and making me spend more money because of it.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice work, Greg. Looks great. I'm sure MT will be getting lots of requests! At least, I will request one.

BTW, is that a thinner oxford cloth than the BBBF? Looks almost like linen.

emptym

Reaction score
Looks great! If they can translate that into other sizes, I might place an order.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz

It makes sense in my mind ... but I guess the bottom line is that I wanted a slim fitting OCBD, which is what this is.

Have you tried BB's extra slim fit?

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Shirt fit is very good, G. For $79, I am very tempted to try them too. I'll wait for a few more wash/dry cycles before I comment on the collar. Please add above pic to my OCBD collar roll thread. My Mercer shirts took 2/3 washes to settle down. They look almost like in Manton's pic in the first page.
Done. And you're right - it gets better and better with each wash.
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Just pulled the trigger on two similarly styled shirts from MyTailor, albeit in whimsically unrestrained checks and not solids. I'm hoping to arrive somewhere at the convergence of questionable and awesome. Damn you for doing something cool and making me spend more money because of it.
Share the results!
Originally Posted by Parker
Nice work, Greg. Looks great. I'm sure MT will be getting lots of requests! At least, I will request one. BTW, is that a thinner oxford cloth than the BBBF? Looks almost like linen.
You're right ... I haven't mentioned it yet. Per Vox's advice, and after my conversation with Joe, I ordered a thinner oxford cloth (records show F48301, but I can't find it on their website now), which I like a lot.
Originally Posted by emptym
Looks great! If they can translate that into other sizes, I might place an order.
That's what MTM is - do it as you wish!
smile.gif
Originally Posted by cchen
Have you tried BB's extra slim fit?
AFAIK, they don't make a sleeve long enough for me - using retail sizes, I would take a 16 / 36.5 size. But I also take a Slim / Medium body ... so basically I am a prime candidate for MTM / bespoke on the shirt. I do OK with RTW jackets, however ... as long as the sleeves can be let out to a 26".

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Share the results!
Absolutely. I basically asked Joe to reference this thread / his conversation with you as a jumping off point, with a few tweaks thereafter to account for personal tastes. Saved me a lot of work typing a detailed explanation of what I want in the collar, etc.
smile.gif
I wish MyTailor's turnaround time were a bit quicker, because I now covet these shirts with no small degree of intensity. That said, as soon as they arrive, I'll post the results. To Joe's credit, he really can do degrees of customization that a lot of other online MTM shops can't or won't handle. He'll basically try anything -- within reason -- that you can suggest. It's not bespoke, obviously, but it's more than fine for my needs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads