• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesduc

Reaction score
I have this boot in black and #8. The #8 does not have the blind eyelets unfortunately. I wear both a lot. In my job I'm tramping through muck on a regular basis inspecting properties so they're real handy for that. They look pretty good with anything except a slim suit in lightweight material. I think of the Leydon as a jack of all trades last. Good at everything, not that great at anything. But with my budget and uses it's hard to have shoes that are too narrowly focused.

I would look at the J Gilbert Plaza Wingtip boot if you want something sleeker.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
I have several shoes on both lasts. The Leydon isn't as roomy and the toe is a little more low-profile than the Barrie's bulbous look. I personally think the Leydon still looks clunky as a shoe. However, I don't think you'll get anything more sleek from Alden in a boot unless you happen to find something in the Aberdeen or Hampton.

Originally Posted by mikesduc
I have this boot in black and #8. The #8 does not have the blind eyelets unfortunately. I wear both a lot. In my job I'm tramping through muck on a regular basis inspecting properties so they're real handy for that. They look pretty good with anything except a slim suit in lightweight material. I think of the Leydon as a jack of all trades last. Good at everything, not that great at anything. But with my budget and uses it's hard to have shoes that are too narrowly focused.

I would look at the J Gilbert Plaza Wingtip boot if you want something sleeker.

Good, that's exactly what I needed to know. I don't wear suits, so versatility shouldn't be a problem. And I have a similar budget where I can't afford shoes that are too specific.

Thanks guys!

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrounger
AFAIK, the 403 Indy is chromexcel and leather-lined. If that's close enough, it's available from a number of sellers. No commando sole though, not sure what the other differences are.

It depends. As far as I can tell Leather Soul orders their Ultimate Indys as custom makes always, so each run might be a little different. If you search "ultimate Indy" on Leather Soul's site, you'll see how many permutations they have of that boot.

The more "usual" 403 dark brown Chromexcel one is fantastic. I have that one and it has that newfangled oil-resistant neocork sole, which is slippery at first but picks up traction as you wear it. It also looks better, IMO, than the commando sole, although the commando sole's usefulness is fairly obvious. The difference, besides the commando sole, is that the 403 Chromexcel is more or less the same everywhere, whereas with Leather Soul you can get slight variations that may make your boot more unique. For me the 403 Chromexcel was perfect. I bought my pair from Epaulet and was very happy to give them the business. Shoemart also has some sizes in stock right now.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PETEROCK1;3093159 said:
i finally have these in my possession...

alden8.jpg

Awesome.

Anyone else here who ordered the Chromexcel Indys from North River Outfitters experiencing a silly-long lead time? Quoted lead time ~3 weeks, current waiting time for me (now) seven weeks and not even an idea of delivery date.

I'll have to shelve these once I get them. Summer will be here.

Scrounger

Reaction score
mlyngard;3097066 said:
Originally Posted by PETEROCK1
i finally have these in my possession...

alden8.jpg

Awesome.

Anyone else here who ordered the Chromexcel Indys from North River Outfitters experiencing a silly-long lead time? Quoted lead time ~3 weeks, current waiting time for me (now) seven weeks and not even an idea of delivery date.

I'll have to shelve these once I get them. Summer will be here.

Yup, 7 weeks now. I see on the website they've finally adjusted it to 3-12 weeks leadtime. In response to my last inquiry they told me mine should ship by the end of March. Needless to say...

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
http://winnperry.com/updates/alden-d...-officer-boot/ If you email Jordan of Winn Perry, he will send you larger versions of the photos. I recall that there is a real life photo of the boots worn with a slim navy suit in this thread.
Those look like what I've been looking for, I just wish they were available in E widths. I'm an 11E in the Indy boot so I think I'd have to size up to 11.5 with those and hope they wouldn't be too long. edit: werdswerf: it's pretty easy to blend it. When you polish the boots with a colored polish or cream just polish over the stitching. The stitching on my Indy boots blended right in after just a few times.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
alden8.jpg

Wait, I thought the Chromexel Indys has the cork soles? How come the one in the pic has a rubber sole?

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, those are Ultimate Indy's, not the Chromexcel Indy's. The leather on both is the same, only difference between the two is the sole.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
Yep, those are Ultimate Indy's, not the Chromexcel Indy's. The leather on both is the same, only difference between the two is the sole.

The differences are subtle but its more than just the sole. I don't know all the technical jargon but as far as I can see they are:
- white stitching on the top heel on the 403 vs matching stitching on the ultimate
- white stitching on the outside edge of the sole on the 403 vs matching stitching on the ultimate
- thicker (cotton?) laces with the 403 vs flat waxed laces on the ultimate

And of course there's the obvious... cork sole on the 403 vs leather sole w/stitched rubber sole (commando) on the ultimate.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good eye.. didn't even notice the different laces or white stitching.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
The differences are subtle but its more than just the sole. I don't know all the technical jargon but as far as I can see they are:
- white stitching on the top heel on the 403 vs matching stitching on the ultimate
- white stitching on the outside edge of the sole on the 403 vs matching stitching on the ultimate
- thicker (cotton?) laces with the 403 vs flat waxed laces on the ultimate

And of course there's the obvious... cork sole on the 403 vs leather sole w/stitched rubber sole (commando) on the ultimate.

These are the very differences why I preferred and paid more for the Leather Soul Ultimate Indy.

iansir

Reaction score
Almost at 10 weeks on my NRO order...really tired of this.

In the meantime I ordered a pair from Epaulet, recieved them, and wore them about 6 times - in which time the stitching on the inside of one of the boots came loose - see below. Epaulet says I can send them back to Alden for repair...we'll see how that goes. So I will have none of the two pairs of Indy boots that I ordered to wear...

img0599sf.jpg

bakatora

Reaction score
For those with wider feet, tbs got leydon last lined chukkas and #8 cordovan longwings in E width, but looks like they're only carrying whole sizes.. and the site is down right now.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iansir
Almost at 10 weeks on my NRO order...really tired of this.

In the meantime I ordered a pair from Epaulet, recieved them, and wore them about 6 times - in which time the stitching on the inside of one of the boots came loose - see below. Epaulet says I can send them back to Alden for repair...we'll see how that goes. So I will have none of the two pairs of Indy boots that I ordered to wear...

img0599sf.jpg

That sucks, but it's Alden's fault. Get in contact with them so they know to expect your boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads