• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Test results for the 2011 Mustang are in. The new GT matches the M3's performance numbers tit-for-tat, and that's even with the (mighty) live axle. Part of me wishes I can trade my 2008 Bullitt in. Part of me knows better than to, since they're going to do a redesign in 2014.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Test results for the 2011 Mustang are in. The new GT matches the M3's performance numbers tit-for-tat, and that's even with the (mighty) live axle. Part of me wishes I can trade my 2008 Bullitt in. Part of me knows better than to, since they're going to do a redesign in 2014.
Having driven both (well, a 2010 GT) -- you get what you pay for. M3 is in a different world altogether. Perfect car: M3 silver gray, speed Cloth, 6 spd, 19s & EDC, no other options.

patchmark

Reaction score
Daytime driver - 2002 Dodge Durango
Weekend/Evenings - 1996 Porsche 993TT Aventurine Green

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^
inlove.gif

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Having driven both (well, a 2010 GT) -- you get what you pay for. M3 is in a different world altogether.

Perfect car: M3 silver gray, speed Cloth, 6 spd, 19s & EDC, no other options.

You don't know what you're talking about. The 2011 gets a new engine, transmission and suspension. Brembos optional.

Edit: To clarify, the performance numbers match each other. The M3 is a sweet car yes, and you do get nice dash leather and everything, but for an extra $30k over the price of a base GT with the new 5.0? I can probably pay someone a lot less than that to put fancy leather on my doors.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
You don't know what you're talking about. The 2011 gets a new engine, transmission and suspension. Brembos optional. Edit: To clarify, the performance numbers match each other. The M3 is a sweet car yes, and you do get nice dash leather and everything, but for an extra $30k over the price of a base GT with the new 5.0? I can probably pay someone a lot less than that to put fancy leather on my doors.
Track them and the M3 will kill the Mustang. If you equate performance with straight-line acceleration and top speed, sure, they match each other. But that's just one aspect of performance. Just watch Top Gear take the Shelby Mustang for a spin; the thing can barely stay on the pavement.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Track them and the M3 will kill the Mustang. If you equate performance with straight-line acceleration and top speed, sure, they match each other. But that's just one aspect of performance. Just watch Top Gear take the Shelby Mustang for a spin; the thing can barely stay on the pavement.
Yeah, the 2007-9 Shelby was a pig. But we're not talking about it. We're talking about the new 2011 GT with the 5.0. The one that improved its lap times on two tracks by 3 seconds over the 2010. I'm eager to see how well it does in the future in comparison tests, but things are really positive for this car. They ran it against the M3 during early testing, and of course the engineers said it was just as fast, but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually turned out to be true.

whallyden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon

You mean the 2007 Shelby? I think we're talking about the 2011 GT. "Kill" might be too strong a word based on the early reviews.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
99 Chrysler Cirrus Lxi

P4230052.jpg

Don't know what color I should paint it. inside is khaki colored leather.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the 2011 GT still has the solid axle rear suspension. I wonder how the car will be like as a whole package. Usually cars that match or beat M3s on the track are too uncomfortable on the street, and cars that are as comfortable as the M3 on the street don't handle as well.

The unique strength of BMW is not that they make the sportiest or most luxurious car out there, but that they've managed to put more of both qualities simultaneously into a single car than anyone else. With active suspensions, this may change.

--Andre

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I believe the 2011 GT still has the solid axle rear suspension. I wonder how the car will be like as a whole package. Usually cars that match or beat M3s on the track are too uncomfortable on the street, and cars that are as comfortable as the M3 on the street don't handle as well.

The unique strength of BMW is not that they make the sportiest or most luxurious car out there, but that they've managed to put more of both qualities simultaneously into a single car than anyone else. With active suspensions, this may change.

--Andre

True. First tests talk big about how the 2011 GT rides great and handles great, but once that new car shine wears off we'll start hearing the criticisms. This is partly why I'm trying to hold out until 2014's refresh, when the Mustang platform will hopefully go global and get an independent rear.

I know that harshness was a big criticism of the Z06, but now it's getting those fancy magnetorheological dampers from the ZR1. Should be awesome.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a ride around a racetrack once in a Mustang Cobra, two generations ago I think, when the Cobras had independent rear suspension. It had racing suspension, race pads, and R-compound tires. The ride was ... interesting, especially since there wasn't anything to hold on to, so it was an effort not to butt helmets with the driver.

--Andre

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe i should have thought my post through. Don't feel like I belong.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
maybe i should have thought my post through. Don't feel like I belong.
All cars that are driven by us are able to be posted here. I remember the so-called cloud cars. Chrysler used to be a decent make. My father still drives his '97 Dodge Grand Caravan. It's given us a solid 13 years of ski trips and family hauling. Then I sat in a new one. It just seemed worse somehow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads