• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone else annoyed by Tom's shoes?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I agree, I don't think it's the best business model out there, but they are doing a heck of alot more than any of us are.

I think they have a great business model. I researched them a little for one of my marketing classes last semester. The charity thing they are doing is great promo for the company, and they are doing something to help out. Plus they are making a great profit on their easy and cheap to make shoes. They were created in 2006 and they are already huge. They are doing something right.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
I really hate that comerical....

+10

The guy comes off as being a complete moron, which really annoys me.

babadooboo

Reaction score
This dude has a giant head and whole empire built on some fancy medical terms for ailments kids without shoes might get, but not if you buy a pair of his $1 cloth mocs (for $45) that will prevent some kid from getting the said ailments. They are the sorriest looking bedroom slippers that grandma would be ashamed to sell at a garage sale or give to Goodwill for that matter. This is a "rilly gid" sucess story with presidential intros, countless harems of cute dizzy interns, and this warm and fuzzy dude who's genius preys very successfully on the hideous tastes and Naivete of Americans....If we could still get LSD I think they'd look pretty cool.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babadooboo
This dude has a giant head and whole empire built on some fancy medical terms for ailments kids without shoes might get, but not if you buy a pair of his $1 cloth mocs (for $45) that will prevent some kid from getting the said ailments. They are the sorriest looking bedroom slippers that grandma would be ashamed to sell at a garage sale or give to Goodwill for that matter. This is a "rilly gid" sucess story with presidential intros, countless harems of cute dizzy interns, and this warm and fuzzy dude who's genius preys very successfully on the hideous tastes and Naivete of Americans....If we could still get LSD I think they'd look pretty cool.

lol nice first post, full of anger. owner of Tom's shoes steal your gf or something?

babadooboo

Reaction score
GFs are really easy to get down in Argentina after their financial meltdown (if you're white). Hey, I ain't mad at Blake, just laughing at all the goobers buying into his program. The dude is a genius, and I bow down to him like the prezdint did to the Saudi King and the Japanese Emperor. It is all part of the trendz tranzpiring in these here yoo nited states. 1/2 the nation worships the gipper and the other half worship slick willy so why wouldn't a guy make a fortune selling Acid Tripping Slippers that will prevent a poor kid from getting silicosis of the feet. No dumber than teenaged girls in tokyo doing a middle aged Chinese tourist for money to go buy a pair of Chucks!

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
I think it's funny that a lot of people are hating on Toms. They may not be the best looking shoes but they certainly look a lot better then a lot of stuff on this forum. And people are complaining about the markup, but it's not much different then paying 300 bucks for CP's or something, which 99 percent of the people on the street think are Converse's anyway.

clearly you dont know what youre talking about. its converse, not convereseseses! go get learned.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...es#post2201393
bigstar[1].gif

Dburr

Reaction score
Please don't tell my mother I work for Tom's shoes - she thinks I'm a piano player in a whorehouse!

A.K.A.

Reaction score
My 19 year-old daughter showed up at my house for Thanksgiving wearing the most wornout and shittiest looking pair of fake Keds ever. I told her that I would buy her a pair of shoes.

She gets on the laptop and shows me a pair of Tom's that she wants. I reneged on my offer.

babadooboo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
My 19 year-old daughter showed up at my house for Thanksgiving wearing the most wornout and shittiest looking pair of fake Keds ever. I told her that I would buy her a pair of shoes.

She gets on the laptop and shows me a pair of Tom's that she wants. I reneged on my offer.

Well if she tells you she wants to intern for them you should disown her completely.

http://www.onedayoneinternship.com/i...ps/toms-shoes/

MakesArtNotWar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J Darnielle
It seems like a great marketing scam. They make ugly shoes that fall apart in a week and probably don't cost more than 50 cents to make. Then they give a free pair away, meaning each pair costs them about a dollar.

They retail for $45ish. As a percentage, the company probably gives less than the average charitable contribution of corporations.

Why are people falling for this gimmick? If you're that concerned, write a check directly to poor kids. Or get them a pair of indestructible shoes.

Well, I have a few pairs of Toms, they look cool to me, and are extremely comfortable, but Looks and comfort aside. What Tom's stands for is very cool and unique. The shoes are on average the same price as vans or other $30-40 shoes. And they give a pair to needy kids around the world, as someone who has 3 friends who have personally gone on shoe drops and distributions to these countries such as Argentina, and Haiti, I know they do indeed give away shoes to needy kids, and is not a scam.. Consider even the $40 price tag, thats $20 a pair considering they give another pair away.

Originally Posted by J Darnielle
..They make ugly shoes that fall apart in a week..

Also, I have a few pairs, 2 of which I bought over 2 years ago, and they have not fallen apart or torn, or broke down once,.. also, many people I know, and friends of mine have never had a pair break down. Maybe do a survey, or some research before you make that kind of statement. Keep in mind.. We aren't going and playing football with the shoes or grinding them on shards of glass.. Which, I'm sure, having made a foundationless statement such as that, that those were the basis on which you made your observation.

Either way, it isn't a scam, they actually are nice comfortable shoes, the company does indeed give shoes away, like any other company I'm sure they make a profit to stay in business and continue to do what they set out to accomplish.

Not to mention, f* the gimmick, some of us just like the shoes.. Now go have fun making fun of some actual ugly shoes.. like Crocs..

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MakesArtNotWar
Consider even the $40 price tag, thats $20 a pair considering they give another pair away.
if you give 40$ and i give you 2 loaves of bread, the intrinsic worth of my bread is 20$?? (not how much YOU value them) its a cloth of canvas and a floppy piece of rubber. these espadrilles are 2$-5$. if you gave your 40$ to a charity, im sure they could get more than 1 pair of ****** shoes for the kids and for yourself

MakesArtNotWar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
if you give 40$ and i give you 2 loaves of bread, the intrinsic worth of my bread is 20$?? (not how much YOU value them) its a cloth of canvas and a floppy piece of rubber. these espadrilles are 2$-5$. if you gave your 40$ to a charity, im sure they could get more than 1 pair of ****** shoes for the kids and for yourself
..Wow, you are totally missing the point, Im not saying, Oh My God, their giving $40 worth away, or.. Wow, the shoes are the best worth of $40 they can give.. Im saying, for those of us who like the shoes, they Also happen to give another pair away, maybe not as good as giving $40 to a charity, but its a pair of shoes to a kid who needs a pair of shoes, and a pair to us, someone who wants/likes the shoes. I can Still give another $40 to charity. And Im not buying the shoes for the sole belief that money goes to charity, Its a nice bonus to wanting this pair of shoes, that another kid will not have to go barefoot.. I simply made the comment because they kid was arguing they are $40 a pair, when in fact they are closer to $20 a pair considering they put out 2 pair for the $40 the consumer spends. Wether or not they make $18 off each $20 pair is not the point, I was merely stating it because the kid wanted to criticize the company for making a profit while still doing something good for needy kids, again, the point isnt that their good deed could be bigger or more giving, they still give alot. They charter their own planes to bring people like us to these countries to take part in a shoe drop where you not only outfit a needy child with shoes, but you see first-hand what the poverty and neccessity are really like in these parts of the world. It changes you and your outlook, much more than the $40 you donate, both parties get alot more than you'd think out of the experience.. And yes.. the value of something is only as much as someone will pay for it.. A Nolan Ryan Baseball card that is printed on 8 cents worth of paper.. can still sell for $300, as long as someone will pay $300 for it.. What Someone Values it at, not simply what people say it costs..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads