• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ShiaLaBeef

Reaction score
What type of bag/briefcase should a recent graduate use for an entry level/admin position in a finance company? As much as I'd like to carry a very nice, slim, leather briefcase, I don't think it would be appropriate to dress like I run the place. Thoughts or suggestions?

Insight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShiaLaBeef
What type of bag/briefcase should a recent graduate use for an entry level/admin position in a finance company? As much as I'd like to carry a very nice, slim, leather briefcase, I don't think it would be appropriate to dress like I run the place. Thoughts or suggestions?

I would go with no bag until you have been there a while and seen what everyone else is using. If you will be taking public transportation or walking, you may want on over the shoulder messenger bag.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score

Agree with Insight, good advice.

EZ

ShiaLaBeef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insight
I would go with no bag until you have been there a while and seen what everyone else is using. If you will be taking public transportation or walking, you may want on over the shoulder messenger bag.

Yeah, I was thinking a leather shoulder bag in a style like this. It seems like a good blend of youth and professionalism. Feel free to correct me on this.
fossil_montana_east_west_messenger.jpg

But would it still be appropriate if I have to wear a full suit rather than just dress shirt and dress pants?

squelchy451

Reaction score
Black suit (black blazer and trousers) + dark coloured shirt (i have burgundy and dark gray) + black tie (2 inches at wides point)

Good or no? (I think its good but theres times when I'm wrong...cant be too sure u know
smile.gif

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by squelchy451
Black suit (black blazer and trousers) + dark coloured shirt (i have burgundy and dark gray) + black tie (2 inches at wides point)

Good or no? (I think its good but theres times when I'm wrong...cant be too sure u know
smile.gif

Great, if you're trying to look like an extra on "The Sopranos."

Insight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by squelchy451

smile.gif

Generally bad. A little context like your age and where you would wear this would up helpful. Still, this will almost always be considered a terrible outfit, particularly on this forum.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
Any idea what a decent MTM suit would cost from a place like Harry Rosen? Being in Edmonton, Canada, my choices are limited.

I'm a slender guy, and I can get away with a 36R suit, but those are hard to come by (a 34R fits well, but those are even more rare). I know MTM would be an option, and I don't mind the wait time, but as a recent graduate, I don't want to be paying way more for a MTM than something off the rack.

I know the price will vary greatly depending on various factors, but a price range is all I'm looking for as a starting point.

Thanks guys.

Insight

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking a leather shoulder bag in a style like this. It seems like a good blend of youth and professionalism. Feel free to correct me on this.
fossil_montana_east_west_messenger.jpg

But would it still be appropriate if I have to wear a full suit rather than just dress shirt and dress pants?

Are you under 40? Are you taking public transportation or walking?

If so, yes.

ShiaLaBeef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insight
Are you under 40? Are you taking public transportation or walking?

If so, yes.

Yup, early 20's and public transit. I had heard from time to time that one shouldn't wear a messenger bag with a suit, but I guess it's okay for the young guys! Thanks.

click here

Reaction score
When wearing a long sleeve shirt with tie, do you guys usually button the very top button? I find it makes the upper portion of my shirt too tight, so I rarely do it. Is it just me or do I need to get better fitting shirts?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Yup, early 20's and public transit. I had heard from time to time that one shouldn't wear a messenger bag with a suit, but I guess it's okay for the young guys! Thanks.

I agree, looks a bit better on younger guys. I like that bag in the photo.

EZ

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
When wearing a long sleeve shirt with tie, do you guys usually button the very top button? I find it makes the upper portion of my shirt too tight, so I rarely do it. Is it just me or do I need to get better fitting shirts?

I always button mine, and I imagine most on here do. I'd look for a better fit.

EZ

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here

You need to get a better fitting shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads