• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just finished my first DE razor shave

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
my face literally feels RAW when I shave with them. ill cut the crap outta my neck and face a layer off my cheeks. Its rough man.
Technique! Use less pressure, prep better, try doing just 2 passes both north to south (straight down, forget about grain)
doing_it_wrong_2.jpg

chuck schick

Reaction score
Just got a Merkur in today along with some cream and other goodies. Waiting on the brush, mug, soap and assorted pack of razors from west coast. I get razor burn like nobody's business, hope this cures.

BBRex

Reaction score
Plan to take extra time when you shave, and don't rush. Plan for a couple of passes each time you shave. And don't get discouraged.

Beetleything

Reaction score
I just started this about a week ago.

Use very little pressure at a 30 degrees angle.
Small strokes.
Lather well .
Do 2 WTG - with the grain shaves to begin with.
Then when better at it try XTG - across the grain.

Going ATG- against the grain is very very risky.

In little area like the chin to get the stubble might be ok.

This has resulted in the closet nicest cleanest shaves i have ever had with little to no nicks.

Also my neck hairs which go up at the lower part , now have no bumps or rash like before with Mach3.

My skin looks better.

I can totally recomened it.

You can get 100 blades for 20 -30 dollars - at 3-4 shave a blade that's a years worth of shaves.

Bye bye cartridge shaves.

chuck schick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBRex
Plan to take extra time when you shave, and don't rush. Plan for a couple of passes each time you shave. And don't get discouraged.

Originally Posted by Beetleything
I just started this about a week ago.

Use very little pressure at a 30 degrees angle.
Small strokes.
Lather well .
Do 2 WTG - with the grain shaves to begin with.
Then when better at it try XTG - across the grain.

Going ATG- against the grain is very very risky.

In little area like the chin to get the stubble might be ok.

This has resulted in the closet nicest cleanest shaves i have ever had with little to no nicks.

Also my neck hairs which go up at the lower part , now have no bumps or rash like before with Mach3.

My skin looks better.

I can totally recomened it.

You can get 100 blades for 20 -30 dollars - at 3-4 shave a blade that's a years worth of shaves.

Bye bye cartridge shaves.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have a pretty thick beard and am very hopeful this foray rids me of razor burn and improves my skin - bought a nice array of creams, etc.

What about around your chin and your moustache? I envision these areas being very susceptible to gashes.

Thanks again for the thoughts and any advice.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuck schick
Thanks for the advice, guys. I have a pretty thick beard and am very hopeful this foray rids me of razor burn and improves my skin - bought a nice array of creams, etc.

What about around your chin and your moustache? I envision these areas being very succeptible to gashes.

Thanks again for the thoughts and any advice.

If you have a thick beard, you want to prepare your face well to avoid gashes. Rinsing your beard thoroughly with hot water before shaving/shaving after a shower/pressing a hot towel to your face will soften the beard.

A pre-shave cream might also be a good option, proraso makes a decent pre-shave cream and you wont break the bank buying a pot.

edit: Yeah and you'll probably also want to invest in a styptic pencil or alum block (just in case you nick yourself), that stuff will stop the bleeding.

BBRex

Reaction score
What about around your chin and your moustache? I envision these areas being very succeptible to gashes.
Just be careful. Don't rush. And don't feel like you have to use the whole width of the blade every pass. I probably get the most nicks on my neck, usually trying that one more pass to get as close as possible. Once you get some practice, you'll be more able to go against the grain or cross grain on your second or third pass.

chuck schick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBRex
Just be careful. Don't rush. And don't feel like you have to use the whole width of the blade every pass. I probably get the most nicks on my neck, usually trying that one more pass to get as close as possible. Once you get some practice, you'll be more able to go against the grain or cross grain on your second or third pass.

Very good, thanks for the advice.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
prep is key no doubt.

While in the shower I let the water hit my beard a full minute or so, wash my face w/ EMJ face wash, then shampoo/condition my beard also, I dont dry my face at all afterwards, just get out of shower and begin teh lather.

Work the lather in good with the brush for about a minute. (I literally count one one thousand, 2 one thousand...as Im lathering)

Watch Mantics videos on youtube...

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
+1

This man speaks the truth.

Watch it more than once.....you keep learning new things and watching what he does is good to see.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing I like w/ DE shaving is that your shaves actually improve all the time. Unlike the 25-blade mach 3 that gives you the same (******) shave each and every time.

chuck schick

Reaction score
Hopefully I had my last ****** shave yesterday, today should be getting the remainder of my rig in. Thanks for the advice and here's hoping that I don't look like I used a running lawn mower for a pillow after I'm done.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive got a brand new (used once or twice) Merkur 33C if anyone wants it for free. (CONNUS)

BBRex

Reaction score
underwearer, I'll take it if nobody else wants it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads