• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Usingmyrights

Reaction score
How'd I miss this thread? I love firearms and have a great appreciation for firearm art(photography). My typical carry is a Glock 30. If I want to dress things up a bit I go with the Kimber, and a little Keltec P3AT for when I want to carry some place thats legal to carry, but they don't want you carrying there

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
FTFY.

Regards.

puzzled.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I've always liked your taste. ~ H
Thanks! Considering that in CA vintage handguns can only be bought via private party transfer, I consider myself lucky to have acquired those revolvers. On the flipside, I have a real weakness for old Colts, so the lame 'safety' regulations have probably saved me a lot of cash.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I'm trying to consolidate down to one centerfire 9mm (or maybe one semi-auto in all). Partially because I can use the money from moving everything else, partially because I just want one that I'm really really comfortable with.

Candidates:
Sig P226 - feels good in the hand (particularly the new E2 model), holsters available from the folks I like (Raven, Milt Sparks), Sigs have the smoothest DA/SA triggers around IMO;
cons - slide release is just far enough back that my thumb rests on it just a bit with a thumbs-high grip

HK P30 - first HK that I've actually enjoyed shooting, fantastic ergonomics + customizable, accurate, has the sight/holster options available that I care about;
cons - LEM (Glock-like) action is hard to come by and needs some springs replaced to be lighter than 7.75# give or take

S&W M&P9 - probably the most comfortable gun in my hand, I already own one, lots of sight/holster options, S&W service is the best (if you have a problem, they send out a call tag and repair it without me having to deal with shipping other than dropping it off);
cons - trigger on mine is terrible, trigger jobs tend to make the trigger pull shorter (which I don't trust on a pistol with no safety, particularly if it makes them lighter). Safety models have the thumb safety in a bad position - I can't ride the safety nor can I comfortably shoot with my thumb below it.

Apex has a kit that replaces several parts and allegedly clears up my issues (long, weak reset, spongy break), but I'd need to have it installed by someone as I don't trust my gunsmithing abilities for things that get that deep into the internals.

Glock - not really in the running. If you're comfortable with them, they're great pistols, but I just didn't bond with my G17 RTF2 over ~2000 rounds in ~3 months. Between the large grip and the angle, it never felt right.

Have you checked out the Springfield XD(m) ? I'm not a fan of polymer pistols in general, but was rather impressed with that gun. Unfortunately here in CA the 10 round version isn't available yet.

v1100110

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I think the most versatile first handgun is going to be a compact/subcompact 9mm Glock.

I agree with this. My first was a Springfield XD 9 and I think a Glock would have been a better purchase. It doesn't feel as good in my hand when just holding it or look as good IMO, but the feel of SHOOTING a glock vs shooting the springfield is better to me. I wouldn't recommend a .22 for a first gun or only gun because they are fun to mess around with sometimes, but not near as satisfying to shoot as a 9mm.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I understand and mostly agree with the concept of getting a .22, but unless you are absolutely against ever using the gun you buy to protect yourself or loved ones in a threatening situation, it should not be one's only gun. It is not good for that role.

However, buying a .22 along with your 9 so you can practice cheaply is money well spent. I have a 22/45 and everyone I take shooting loves it. I don't go very often so I try to practice with the "real" ones for the most part, but is great for plinking sessions etc.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't see how a subcompact would be a good first gun, or a good only gun for that matter. They aren't made for comfortable shooting. A non-compact XD sounds like a good idea to me. They're great guns. Even people who normally don't like polymer frames seem to be ok with them. I love the way they fit my hand, and the trigger isn't half bad. That should mean something coming from a diehard 1911 owner like myself

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
eh, don't wish too hard for that. Mrs. Thomas has a concealed carry permit and it certainly changed things between us.

For instance - Kancho is now permanently off the table.

I LOLed!
laugh.gif

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
puzzled.gif

You thought it was absurd to have a permit to handle a gun....I thought it was the most absurd thing i have ever heard (actually its nuts in my opinion and a little scary to be so regulated)!!!!! So I Fixed That For You.
blush.gif

Regards.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
I can't see how a subcompact would be a good first gun, or a good only gun for that matter. They aren't made for comfortable shooting. A non-compact XD sounds like a good idea to me. They're great guns. Even people who normally don't like polymer frames seem to be ok with them. I love the way they fit my hand, and the trigger isn't half bad. That should mean something coming from a diehard 1911 owner like myself
I don't know if I would suggest a subcompact, but I would suggest something at least concealable. Remember that you can get extended grips for Glock subcompacts and probably others. Another good option might be one of the new modular systems like the Sig 250 with multiple grips/calibers/etc. available for the same registered frame. I'm hoping one of those will get popular enough to be affordable at some point.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I don't know if I would suggest a subcompact, but I would suggest something at least concealable. Remember that you can get extended grips for Glock subcompacts and probably others.

Another good option might be one of the new modular systems like the Sig 250 with multiple grips/calibers/etc. available for the same registered frame. I'm hoping one of those will get popular enough to be affordable at some point.

My local Academy has the P250 listed for $459 minus tax. The Salesman are sometimes far from knowledgeable, but if researched heavily, atleast you'll be content with knowing you got a good deal.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Thanks! Considering that in CA vintage handguns can only be bought via private party transfer, I consider myself lucky to have acquired those revolvers. On the flipside, I have a real weakness for old Colts, so the lame 'safety' regulations have probably saved me a lot of cash.
Old Colts and old Smiths are my equal weaknesses -- and by old I refer, as you seem to also, to about the '20's through the '70s -- especially target models! The early Colt Royal Blue with fire blue screws is just incredible together. I forget, living far from CA, can you get vintage (but, I certainly do not mean 'antique') handguns from out-of-state? I was once responsible for a 8-3/8" Model 53 Smith leaving CA, and I wondered if I'd pulled one out of an ever-shrinking pool... ~ H

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As much as I love my CZ82, I have never felt 100% comfortable carrying it with a round chambered - the safety will only engage at half or full cock, sometimes the slide moves enough to cock the hammer when re-holstering and I don't really like easy the hammer down on a loaded chamber. Finally, for a real carry weapon, I prefer a more durable finish or material to blued steel.

So, I have been thinking about trading her and adding some cash to get a nice two-tone nickel and blued steel Beretta 84FS that a local gunstore has new. I might throw-in an old Spanish Civil War 7mm Mauser carbine to sweeten the deal.

EDIT: Also liking the look of the Browning BDA in .380

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the CZ-83? Permakoted .380 rather than blued 9Mak.

Or the good old Walther PPK/S in a similar form factor.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kengs
Yep, they gave away a TON of stuff. Portion of ticket proceeds went to benefit Wounded Warrior Project (I am also a corporate sponsor), which was very cool.

www.aacblog.com

ACR is pretty awesome - but I'll gladly settle for my 10.5" Larue/LMT combo AR.

I met Jim Mayer last week at a Congressional Medal of Honor Society event. He (and the project) is awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads