• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Undershirts – An idiotic query. V vs Crew / white vs grey

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF is the only place I can ask this and not get looked at like I am on crack.

Most days I wear an open collar shirt, but at some point have a meeting for which I need to wear a tie. Problem is that I don't like showing undershirt (crew neck) when I am going open collar, and I don't like the possibility of the V neck line showing under a white shirt fabric when I am buttoned up and tied.

Solutions? Or am I a freaking loon?

Would the V of a heather grey undershirt be visible under a white buttoned up shirt?

Should I just try this myself instead of asking the board?

K

dhaller

Reaction score
A grey undershirt is less reflective than a white one, and is less visible under the shirt, yes. Obviously, the lighter the grey, the better this works (so no "charcoal").

So I think a grey v-neck is the answer; the only problem, of course, is finding one with a deep enough V to work with an open collar - so many V necks nowadays are more like dented crews!

DH

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhaller
A grey undershirt is less reflective than a white one, and is less visible under the shirt, yes. Obviously, the lighter the grey, the better this works (so no "charcoal").

So I think a grey v-neck is the answer; the only problem, of course, is finding one with a deep enough V to work with an open collar - so many V necks nowadays are more like dented crews!

DH

Check out the JT from Collected Threads - very inexpensive and super deep neck, I bought 3 as a test and promptly bought 6 more. I also looked at American Apparel's deep V but at $22ea vs $8ea I could not justify the price for something I use mainly to make sure I don't sweat stain my shirts. My only complaint is they are sized pretty large - I bought smalls and they are as big as I can stand for an undershirt, I could use an XS or maybe even XXS if they offered one.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two thoughts: 1. maybe try a very shallow V. 2. get white shirts that aren't see-through.
smile.gif

mhdena

Reaction score
"Solutions?"
Wear the V neck, you're over thinking this

"Or am I a freaking loon?"

well......

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
Check out the JT from Collected Threads - very inexpensive and super deep neck, I bought 3 as a test and promptly bought 6 more. I also looked at American Apparel's deep V but at $22ea vs $8ea I could not justify the price for something I use mainly to make sure I don't sweat stain my shirts. My only complaint is they are sized pretty large - I bought smalls and they are as big as I can stand for an undershirt, I could use an XS or maybe even XXS if they offered one.
Could you elaborate on what that is?

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Could you elaborate on what that is?

Sure, www.collectedthreads.com - basically it is what a woman would call a boat neck, scoop neck or ballet neck shirt. Since gettings these all my old crews and Vs went into the ragbag... definitely happy with them even if I would prefer a slimmer cut.

The topic of "invisible" undershirts has come up before, I found the JT after reading a few threads which mentioned them, the American Apparel, the expensive Swiss one, and shoot one more mid-priced one I can't think of.

jo-fu

Reaction score
this is all true, i'm just saying if you're having trouble with the collars underneath, its an easy and totally acceptable fix to just drop the undershirt. I don't like when they show at all, particularly with slim fitting dress shirts, which I'm going to wash after I wear anyway

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't do undershirts, but last time I looked dear old M&S had some with a deeply cut round neck that might suit.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going without isnt really an option. Between the Tube at rush hour and bouncing around town to client meetings I need a layer between me and my shirts. I don't rewear, but coming off a sweltering Tube into a client meeting where everyone is "coats off and sleeves rolled up" is begging for sweaty pits.

I would wear a low V all the time, but it ends up being visible when I button up and put on a tie for a client meet.

Grey v necks with a fairly flat collar may work.

Maybe what I really need is a skin tone coloured low V neck undershirt...

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads