• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
The black shell ones came w/o the tab by mistake, I did order them w/the tabs.

I gotta just say, the Chromexcel Jumpers will be ridiculously nice in my opinion.
smile.gif

Do they have the exact same captoe brogue as the cordovan?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Do they have the exact same captoe brogue as the cordovan?

Yes, they will be the exact same shoe but with different leather and an oiled sole.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whiskey longwings from Epaulet showed up today.
image005t.jpg

With the snuff suede ones which showed up a couple days ago.
image008ng.jpg

Morgan

Reaction score
Damn zippyh, that's a blowout week. I just picked up a pair of tan suede chukka boots on the Leydon last as seconds from Shoemart and put in an order for a pair of tan suede longwings on the Barrie last, similar to your West Eggs but lighter and bulkier, with Leather Soul. Should be another month or so wait on those.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaitek
Did a search, but couldn't find any posts on the AF102 from Alden of Carmel. Any thoughts on this shoe?

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...ng_Tip_233.htm

AF102_1.JPG

IMO I would stick with the boot on a commando sole. I love the shoe on the oiked sole though. I was close to picking it up but went with the epaulet version in suede instead. I have the shell version of the boots in #8 and black and they get alot of wear. They go well with everything from a suit to jeans.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Damn zippyh, that's a blowout week. I just picked up a pair of tan suede chukka boots on the Leydon last as seconds from Shoemart and put in an order for a pair of tan suede longwings on the Barrie last, similar to your West Eggs but lighter and bulkier, with Leather Soul. Should be another month or so wait on those.
I have a pair of wingtip boots on the Leydon last in 8.5D. For the unlined suede chukka on the Leydon, should I get the same size or go up to a 9D? I hear these run narrow. Thanks.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lagsun
I have a pair of wingtip boots on the Leydon last in 8.5D. For the unlined suede chukka on the Leydon, should I get the same size or go up to a 9D? I hear these run narrow. Thanks.

I'd get the same size.

Vaitek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikesduc
IMO I would stick with the boot on a commando sole. I love the shoe on the oiked sole though. I was close to picking it up but went with the epaulet version in suede instead. I have the shell version of the boots in #8 and black and they get alot of wear. They go well with everything from a suit to jeans.

Thanks Mike. I agree that commando sole is better suited for the boots. That oiled sole does look nice.

It's been tough for me to decide on which way to go. This will be my first pair and I want to get as many opportunities to wear them as possible. I can't afford the collections that I've see on here, although it would be nice. I want a pair that's versatile enough to wear semi-formally and casually.

I wear suits pretty rarely (I'm actually looking to get a new suit also). About 3-5 times per year plus weddings/funerals. My work is a pretty relaxed business casual. Jeans (not ripped), khakis, polos, button ups, tie optional. They wear suits when meeting clients, but I'm the computer guy so I don't meet with clients. I figure I get a decent navy suit of some sort and I can still wear with the brown Aldens I end up choosing..

I'll stop rambling for now. I think I just realized that I'm still undecided on what I want. They all look great.
confused.gif

rick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
The black shell ones came w/o the tab by mistake, I did order them w/the tabs.

I gotta just say, the Chromexcel Jumpers will be ridiculously nice in my opinion.
smile.gif

i can't not wait for these. i also like the idea of the pull tabs due to the fact there are no speedhooks. tom get these in early lol

enigma77

Reaction score
Did a search, but couldn't find any posts on the AF102 from Alden of Carmel. Any thoughts on this shoe?

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...ng_Tip_233.htm

AF102_1.JPG

Toe is too bulbous. Go with something sleeker if you're going for a wingtip oxford. Everyone loves longwings except for me. I have a pair of Wing Tip Bals that I love. Hampton last? I think so.

Originally Posted by djh
4464137890_f65dd722f7.jpg

LeatherSoul Ultimate Indy's

Wait I thought the Ultimate Indys had the commando soul. Those look like they have the neocork sole that mine do.

Thanks Mike. I agree that commando sole is better suited for the boots. That oiled sole does look nice.

It's been tough for me to decide on which way to go. This will be my first pair and I want to get as many opportunities to wear them as possible. I can't afford the collections that I've see on here, although it would be nice. I want a pair that's versatile enough to wear semi-formally and casually.

I wear suits pretty rarely (I'm actually looking to get a new suit also). About 3-5 times per year plus weddings/funerals. My work is a pretty relaxed business casual. Jeans (not ripped), khakis, polos, button ups, tie optional. They wear suits when meeting clients, but I'm the computer guy so I don't meet with clients. I figure I get a decent navy suit of some sort and I can still wear with the brown Aldens I end up choosing..

I'll stop rambling for now. I think I just realized that I'm still undecided on what I want. They all look great.
confused.gif

I mean, when are you going to wear them? All the time? If that's the case then Indys are your best bet, and I would advocate for the neocork cole over the commando sole unless you live in a place where it snows 9 months out of the year. For actual ridiculous weather/hiking/outdoors, just have a pair of hiking boots. For the other 90% of the time, you can wear your Indys. I just think that the Indy is so elegant and versatile and the commando sole is so Doc Martens-ish. I wear my Indys with basically all cotton pants. I don't wear them with dress slacks, but wear them with cotton slacks, casual cotton pants, and jeans (am wearing them right now; no joke).

I wouldn't wear Indys with a suit. You could get a dress boot, which is, arguably, even more versatile, and tends to be stocked by people like Epaulet, Leather Soul, Shoemart, Leffot, and Tassels. Alden dress boots are a whole other can of worms, though, as there are so many minute styling issues. If you go that route, I would say you want blind eyelets (i.e. regular shoe eyelets, NOT the hiking-boot style speed eyelets that are on standard Indys and other boots) all the way up to the top. Otherwise your wool pants can get ripped. Go for something on the Plaza last. Leather Soul is getting Indys on the Plaza, I think, soon, and I know for a fact that Epaulet is getting Alden dress boots in soon. You'll have to e-mail/PM Mike about it, though, as I don't know when that's happening or what the make will be. They might be shell cordovan, which will obviously set you back serious $$$. But Mike is great and giving Epaulet as much business as possible is something I generally support.
wink.gif

mikesduc

Reaction score
The toe is not nearly as bulbous IRL. For me the Leydon last is a great all rounder. For general office wear (even a very casual worksite) the leydon wingtip would be a better option than the Indy IMO. Then after work with jeans or chinos you will have more steeze than the Indy can give.
This depends on your age also. If you are < 30, wings may be a little much for a lot of people.

+1 on epaulet, I just got the snuff suede chukkas and snuff LW's, the chukkas are like butter on my feet. The lw's are sublime and their service is great. Along with BIG I have a new favorite shop.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viatek, if you are looking for a "one shoe" - ie something you could wear with 90% of your daily outifts - I would go with a longwing. they are of course all the rage these days, which is sort of ironic since they are also so classic.

something in burgundy or brown calf leather, or if you want to splurge #8 Cordovan or Cigar cordovan. I think something super versatile is a great way to start a shoe collection. for at least your first few pairs, I think something you can wear with anything is great. that way you can get a nice rotation going right of the bat. avoid the commando sole, I just don't think it looks great in any dressier setting. crepe sole is a touch casual as well, but I wear it with charcoal wool trousers.

the other alternative is a chukka instead of a longwing. same color and leather recs as above. same reasoning as well.

Alden currently doesn't make any Chelsea boots, which is too bad, b/c this is the 3rd style I would recommend. my RM Williams Chelseas are so sweet and go with everything from jeans to suits.

Vaitek

Reaction score
Thanks enigma77, mikesduc and makewayhomer. I was looking around on the epaulet website and saw these. http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...ongwing/Detail
Longwing%20975%20Lo.jpg
These look like they may work for me. Although the price is a little more than what I was thinking on spending. Probably a whole other can of worms I'm opening, but these would look good with a navy or dark grey suit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads