• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The worst are the ones Borrelli uses, which are too damned thick for their tiny buttonholes and which have very sharp edges that dig into your fingers when you try to press them through.

I avoid my Borrelli shirts cos i hate buttoning it up...its painfully difficult.
frown.gif

Kiton has nice large buttons and commensurately large button holes.... and very very easy to button close.
smile.gif

Regards.
PS. Cant believe I just put this much effort into buttons....

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Why didn't you do pattern matching on the collars? It would have made it more sophisticated IMO. All horizontal.

eh? this is all horizontal i.e collar cut the regular way (warp stripe lines around neck) if it was cut on the weft (opposite to usual) the stripes would have been vertical on collar thereby making it much more clashing. (at least for middle and right shirt)

This is a 2d pic so you see stripes on collar appear to be coming vertical... whereas others are horizontal. Imagine this on a body, the collar stripes will be perfectly horizontal along the back and sides. The yoke on middle shirt and on right is traditional i.e. horizontal stripes. Only the far left is different because shirtmaker forgot my instructions.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the buttons Chan uses for their shirts [the thick ones, you have to ask for them]--they're full-sized 18L (rather than the smaller 16L like most pearl buttons), shanked [sewn with one, not the button itself], curved on the back, and fairly thick. The front is concave but it's done in a way that makes them appear shiny from more angles than some other buttons I've used.

I suppose I should take a picture, maybe next time.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Four hole buttons are pleb anyway, thin or thick.

- B

do i have to give all my rtw-shirts to goodwill now, or even better put them in the garbage bin?

is it on par with gemming or is it worse?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tutee
horizontalstripedtoneco.jpg

cheers!

great shirts. for more versatility, i would go with the "Wiener cuff", some call it sport-cuff. dunno the anglophile sartorial expression for them.

JT82

Reaction score
^ Not yet, although I saw these on my last trip to Geneva as well. A few on there are definitely on my list for this fall.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Geneva is really touting Alumo these days and dissuading people from Mason. Prices on Alumo seem to have dropped, either that or they just never were as high as I assumed them to be.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Geneva is really touting Alumo these days and dissuading people from Mason. Prices on Alumo seem to have dropped, either that or they just never were as high as I assumed them to be.

Just at Geneva or across the board? I was surprised at how affordable they were, relatively speaking. I had thought it would be much more expensive.

No gingham, though.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Just at Geneva. The only other maker I have any recent experience with is CEGO and I have not ordered Alumo from Carl.

sartorialexecutive

Reaction score

Alumo fabrics are not expensive (especially considering the quality). We sell Alumo fabric shirts for similar prices to the likes of Ringhart and Acorn (and the Alumo are much nicer fabrics IMO)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Thanks! I hope you'll like it.

Yes, it is 120's oxford. A very nice cloth.

Late reaction. Yes: 120/2.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not about to get through all the pages ... but as for the few I did see ... I find the amount of truly delicious shirt Appreciation to be minimal. Come on guys ... put some va-va-voom shirt Appreciation out there ... something that will really turn us on.

I say no more "last call" shirt Appreciation ... lets limit it to the really good stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads