• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
I was told that my boots were made specifically for a store 25 years ago, modeled after the Alden Indy, but this has eyelets all the way up and no toe-stitching. The box it came in says the model number is "540" (I was told that it was a play on Indy's 405). It's black oiled nubuck but a lot thicker and tougher than W+H service boot nubuck with a neoprene sole on Tru-Balance last, I think. That's about all the information I have on it...I haven't been able to find anything else about it. It's holding up great, even after hiking and slipping all over the place. The original laces broke, so those are leather laces in there. Sadly, on our way back from the trip I hit a cat going 60 and a part of my car came undone, so I had to take the laces and secure it to the car so it wouldn't scrape against the ground.

Does anyone know where I can get replacement laces for Aldens or W+H service boots? I actually need both, hah.

I believe SF user interlockingny once sold a pair of those boots, as new old stock, a few months ago. He may correct me if I am wrong.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought these off of him. He didn't have much information about them either.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I bought these off of him. He didn't have much information about them either.
They look better in your pics! I was considering those. Good pick up.
smile.gif

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Ahhhhh....I see you are moving to http://www.lsfootwear.com/ in preparation. Also I know several people were looking for a #8 shell boot on something sleeker than the Barrie last. Looks like Tom has them on the Plaza last now.
smile.gif
plptb1.jpg
http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...za-dress-boot/

As far as I know, J. Gilbert will offer the same boots in Fall 2010, but with commando sole, which would presumably be on top of double leather sole, unlike this LSH offering on single leather sole. In this regard, apart from the topied-like appearance of the commando sole, all other specs being equal, would you prefer these boots on single leather sole or double leather sole?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
topied-like appearance of the commando sole

imo a topy looks far different than a commando sole

a commando sole looks a bit off when worn with anything but jeans, a topy could be worn with anything, imo

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get replacement laces for Aldens or W+H service boots? I actually need both, hah.

Just drop Alden an e-mail explaining what you need and they should take care of you.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
As far as I know, J. Gilbert will offer the same boots in Fall 2010, but with commando sole, which would presumably be on top of double leather sole, unlike this LSH offering on single leather sole. In this regard, apart from the topied-like appearance of the commando sole, all other specs being equal, would you prefer these boots on single leather sole or double leather sole?
I'd prefer it on a double leather sole with no commando. Those are an elegant boot (it's the Plaza last!). To make them even better (even dressier), do away with the speed eyelets and have proper eyelets all the way up. Because, I mean, what if you're wearing a wool trouser and the speed eyelets rip the fabric? But I digress...

mikesduc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
I'd prefer it on a double leather sole with no commando. Those are an elegant boot (it's the Plaza last!). To make them even better (even dressier), do away with the speed eyelets and have proper eyelets all the way up. Because, I mean, what if you're wearing a wool trouser and the speed eyelets rip the fabric?

But I digress...

+1 on that. I didn't rip the fabric but have to have the hem redone on a pair that a speedhook killed yesterday.

Scrounger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
North River Outfitters Indy chromexcel:

Anyone else here now in the seventh week of their lead-time?

Six weeks for me. After reviewing their terms of sale, I can't believe I ordered from these guys. Still, they seem to have a good reputation so I continue to hope for the best.

I was confused with the offerings on the ShoeMart's site. The 403, which is what NRO calls Chromexcel, is described as "brown aniline", while the 40514H is described as the Chromexcel. I confirmed with Alden that the 403 is indeed Chromexcel, so it turns out there was no advantage to ordering from NRO - just the opposite in fact. I e-mailed the ShoeMart asking about the difference between the 403 and the 40514H but received no response. Looks like they're the only ones offering the 40514H?

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
North River Outfitters Indy chromexcel:

Anyone else here now in the seventh week of their lead-time?

The shoes will come, I am today finally getting a pair of Alden unline chukkas that have been on back order since september of last year.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well to be fair, I waited for about 4-5 months for my Indy 405 last year.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Well to be fair, I waited for about 4-5 months for my Indy 405 last year.

I think it is just part of wanting something that is made in somewhat small quantities. I don't mind the wait all, since I have the tan chukkas already. I just now can't wait until Lether Soul does another order of the tan flex welt wingtip boots. I always have to special order since I am a 6E, not a size most dealers stock. The wait also means that is is very unlikely there wil be a lot of people wearing the shoes, so in a time when it is hard to stand out and be unique, then atleast one part of an outfit can be.

iansir

Reaction score
9.5 weeks for me
I don't mind waiting but in this case they advertised a ~3 week leadtime, which is not even close to realistic. Don't advertise what you can't deliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads