• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Just yuckie out today (for lack of a better term):

IMG_6542.jpg

IMG_6543.jpg

IMG_6536-1.jpg

Looking pissy for tomorrow as well...
frown.gif
. On the good side, watching Singin' In The Rain with the 8th Grade this week.

Your Sc looks nice. Details on the shoes please ...

BTW, has your cloth arrived ?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zorglubb

Cloudy today like almost everyday this time of the year
plain.gif

The simple navy PS was a masterstroke. very nicely done.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Just yuckie out today (for lack of a better term):
Not feeling the tie with this, but the rest is good and I really like those shoes.

Originally Posted by KtownGreg
Quality (as mentioned above).
Cheers Greg.
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Man, it got cold today. Spent the weekend in the low 70s, and then today, snow mixed with rain and low 30s with the windchill. Time for some flannel:
I feel I shouldn't like that tie, but somehow I do, particularly with that shirt.
Originally Posted by Mannix
On spring break and back at the clinic...
Nice, and I love those shoes.
Everything about this is great...especially the hat!
Cheers - I think the brim is a tad narrow for my head shape, but it's fun occasionally.
Originally Posted by nytek
First post in WAYWRN, so go easy:
Very solid first post, jacket looks a tad tight at the chest but not far off. Combination is clean and effective.
Originally Posted by Grayland
These two pics almost look photoshopped.

It's the beautify filter that stands out isn't it?
wink.gif

Seriously - it's mainly the lens characteristics - the old 50mm f2 is great for separating subject from background - it has a particularly nice fall off from sharp to out of focus.

The only tweaking the photos had was a slight increase in brightness, cropping, resizing and lv1 sharpening (I switch off in camera sharpening) in paint.net. Arguably the sharpening is a tad aggressive, but paint.net only offers very limited control over sharpening (lv1-4).

Originally Posted by goldknots
This is SHARP !

Thanks

Originally Posted by yfyf
Nice tie, but I don't like this suit as much as most of your others.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love the shirt,I have been looking to have a deep purple one made....on my To Do List

I believe its Thomas Mason fabric...thanks.

Originally Posted by aj_del
Your Sc looks nice. Details on the shoes please ...

BTW, has your cloth arrived ?

Shoes are C&J for Ralph Lauren, danite soles, perfect for the rain. And yes! Hoping to have it ready by June (I didn't get it at the crazy low price though!
frown.gif
)

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Not feeling the tie with this, but the rest is good and I really like those shoes.

Cheers MoK, the tie was the one part of it that I thought twice about, but in the end decided I liked it enough to go with it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neofinitia
Phased the face of black phase perchance...

Thank you everybody.

Was wondering if you were going to start setting your shots to:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously - it's mainly the lens characteristics - the old 50mm f2 is great for separating subject from background - it has a particularly nice fall off from sharp to out of focus.

The only tweaking the photos had was a slight increase in brightness, cropping, resizing and lv1 sharpening (I switch off in camera sharpening) in paint.net. Arguably the sharpening is a tad aggressive, but paint.net only offers very limited control over sharpening (lv1-4).

When I first saw the pic I was struck by those elements- how the subject was pushed forward. Very striking.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Gshen

We don't often see you in a suit.
Maybe a touch tight at the button, but the overall look is nice, clean but with subtle colour.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^^Gshen

We don't often see you in a suit.
Maybe a touch tight at the button, but the overall look is nice, clean but with subtle colour.

Thanks,R. I've become a bit more pudgy since the suit was commissioned
blush.gif

Originally Posted by mjHession
Nice watch.

Thanks!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
No full shot today - Camera died on the way to work:
- glad that we both got the same memo re tie
plain.gif
- did u not just recently get a new camera?
Nice SC. I've liked what I've seen of herringbone.
- it has been said & seen
smile.gif
Bright and breezy monday blues. Shoes: EG Cardiff (yes open laced, rubber soled shoes with a suit
tinfoil.gif
) For those who care - Camera Nikon D700, and one of my favourite lenses - an old Nikkor 50mm F2 - much nicer character than either my 1.8 or 1.4 50's. Cheap as chips secondhand and highly recommended.

- good to see the shoes in action - & yes I care
Originally Posted by Sebastian
My humble effort:
- good stuff cause it is better that >50% of the peeps here
smile.gif
Originally Posted by Fred49
Kiton Jacket BB shirt Levi 501 Hermes ps smokes Hoyo Monterrey Weekend casual boots 1000 mile
- you look comfortable & that is the KEY!
Originally Posted by zorglubb
Cloudy today like almost everyday this time of the year
plain.gif

- nothing to complain here
Originally Posted by KtownGreg
1+. PG inspired me to elevate my post pics and also to consider light/composition. Accordingly I have attempted to elevate the quality of posts. I have seen this in other posters as well. For example, Vox's outdoor shots are incredible. He captures the fit with excellent color/composition (ie the big head shot). PG hits it out of the park with creativity and skill. Others have mastered this as well (see quotes below). Overall, love the "bar-raised" WAYWT posts.
- BroHug
On spring break and back at the clinic...
- even with the distortion, this is good
Originally Posted by Grayland
These two pics almost look photoshopped.
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
- 3 strikes & your are on "IGNORE LIST" until further notice - please learn to edit posts. It has been said..
Originally Posted by gshen
- rookin good Junior - go the SEIKO!
Originally Posted by gshen
Thanks,R. I've become a bit more pudgy since the suit was commissioned
blush.gif

- better get the elf to stop sewing..

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time for a change.. All good things come to an end.. Thank you PL..
4-80.jpg
4-84.jpg
Needed a new space with no "pesky" foot traffic..
4-86.jpg
More light for QC..
8-79.jpg
Most Exerent.. - stage one accomplished
8-76.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good PG and the last photo is great even by your normal standards (no bukkake
wink.gif
).

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold and frosty morning.

Yes I should have pulled the trousers up before the shot - perhaps weightloss plan is slowly working, even so they look more rumpled than they seem to IRL...

20100323_main.jpg

20100323_detail.jpg

20100323_shoes.jpg

Details:

Shoes: AS for Thin Red Line
Trousers (dogtooth check in blue,green brown on tan back): Gurteen
Waistcoat: Brook taverner 'Boltby'
Tie: Harris Tweed, James Pringle
Shirt: Charles Tyrwhitt
Moleskin SC: RL Polo
PS: vintage silk
Cap: Kangol

Camera D700, Lens Nikkor 50mm f2 AI

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrmax
I wish I could be more scientific. I think at this level (steed, rubinacci, atollini, hunstman) there really is no right or wrong. "Having said that," ill give it a shot.

The Navy looks very well balanced, and I must say its the best I've seen in the last few weeks of looking. The lapel roll carries the third button down to the second, which I believe is the point. But it is around 0.5-0.75" too short, and doesn't elongate your frame as much as...

The Charcoal. This appears to have wider and more bellied lapels. It is longer (optical illusion?), and corrects the length problem noted above. But it fails (IMO) in being a 3r2 with the lapel roll. It looks like a 2b with button and button hole lurking in the shadows (unevenly, I might add).

Both very nice coats, but simply not to MY liking.

Perhaps I am just averse to the 3r2 aesthetic. Certainly there have been many 3r2 coats posted here that to my eye are atrocious, but garner the applause of the masses. I certainly am not going to highlight those, but in Monty's case he is playing on another level and agrees that his Rubi is 'off'. There have been many, many far worse 3r2 coats than Monty's in the past weeks, but as he is so consistently good a poor coat stands out more on him. I hope he see's that as the compliment as it is intended
smile.gif

These are all interesting stylistic discussion points, but I have to tell you that none of the things that you observe have anything to do with a 3 roll 2.

A 3 roll 2, a 2 button, and a 1 button are all exactly the same in terms of cut. Why? They all roll the lapel to the exact same point. Things like quarter shape, lapel gorge, lapel width, jacket length, etc., etc. have nothing to do with how many buttons there are on a jacket with lapels that roll to the point where you close the jacket.

For a real life sturm und drang over this fact, you can read one of mafoofan's lightning rod threads.
foo.gif
went from one button to 3 roll 2.

A 3 roll 2, a 2 button, and a 1 button (all together as one group) do differ--each in the same way--from jackets that have lapels that roll to a point higher than the buttoning point. This includes the classic English SB three button jacket that rolls to the first button, and it includes jackets that roll to "2.5."

Now, that being said, it is often the case that a one button jacket in the Huntsman vein will have a lowered buttoning point to show more shirt. But, if you wanted to, you could do the same with a 3 roll 2 and a 2 button jacket.

To recap:

1. The number of buttons on an SB jacket has nothing to do with other attributes of a jacket except, perhaps, where you are replicating a specific genre or look from the past.

2. For any given selection of where a SB jacket buttons, a 3 roll 2, a 2 button, and a 1 button that have lapels rolling to the buttoning point will be cut exactly the same, all other things being equal.

3. In contrast, a SB jacket that rolls above the buttoning point will look different than the jackets above, all other things being equal.

- B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads