• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
First post on Styleforum, although this has been my favorite thread for lurking for the past couple weeks. Only recently started looking through local thrift stores.

Found a nice Zegna tie at a Salvation Army the other day for $6, I'm pretty new to upgrading my wardrobe, so I didn't even recognize the label at the time, but it was clearly a nice tie.

20100321igp2645.jpg

20100321igp2646.jpg

Other recent purchases haven't been quite as exciting. But I did find 4 pairs of wooden (not cedar) shoe trees for $3 a piece at Goodwill. I've been wanting some cheap shoe trees for my infrequently worn shoes (like my dance shoes) that are not nice enough to warrant $20 cedar.

Found a pair of size 12 cordovan Alden wingtips for $10, badly treated and not my size, so I left them.

vinasity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
First post on Styleforum, although this has been my favorite thread for lurking for the past couple weeks. Only recently started looking through local thrift stores.

Found a nice Zegna tie at a Salvation Army the other day for $6, I'm pretty new to upgrading my wardrobe, so I didn't even recognize the label at the time, but it was clearly a nice tie.

20100321igp2645.jpg

20100321igp2646.jpg

Other recent purchases haven't been quite as exciting. But I did find 4 pairs of wooden (not cedar) shoe trees for $3 a piece at Goodwill. I've been wanting some cheap shoe trees for my infrequently worn shoes (like my dance shoes) that are not nice enough to warrant $20 cedar.

Found a pair of size 12 cordovan Alden wingtips for $10, badly treated and not my size, so I left them.

Welcome, give it 5-6 months of good thrift shopping and you can have a great wardrobe.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless there is major damage to the stitching or the leather itself. I almost never leave shell behind. Its amazing what can be done with it.

mystillwater

Reaction score
I agree about the Alden's, especially for $10. to me its worth a little gamble.

love the Zenga tie.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Unless there is major damage to the stitching or the leather itself. I almost never leave shell behind. Its amazing what can be done with it.

That was my first thought when I saw the post. And it's not just shell. I regret that I didn't take a "before" photo of these unknown maker calf shoes. I sent my daughter back to the shoe rack to get them while I was in line. I almost left them because I questioned whether they were worth $3.39. They looked really bad. After having trees put in, treated with an alcohol/water mix, and getting a good brush shine:

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
That was my first thought when I saw the post. And it's not just shell. I regret that I didn't take a "before" photo of these unknown maker calf shoes. I sent my daughter back to the shoe rack to get them while I was in line. I almost left them because I questioned whether they were worth $3.39. They looked really bad. After having trees put in, treated with an alcohol/water mix, and getting a good brush shine:

Good job. I have been amazed how thoroughly I can transform shoes with just a good cleaning, conditioning, polishing, and a set of shoe trees. Thank goodness for us its apparently a dying art.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a bit of luck today. I found this gorgeous baby alpaca/wool sweater/jacket piece by Bobby Jones Collection. I know Bobby Jones isn't exactly a SF-endorsed label, but this jacket is beautiful. The inside lining which is pure baby Alpaca feels amazing. Almost makes me wish it were fall so I can wear it. This is the first decent piece I've found at the Salvation Army since before Christmas. $5.99
DSC09588.jpg
DSC09590.jpg
I then went to Half-Price Books to use my 40% off coupon on a book I've been eyeing for awhile. It's called "Sample - 100 Fashion Designers - 010 Curators". Features runway photos, model photos and designer sketches. It'll be a great coffee table book (this is the hard-cover edition, with really cool staggered page sections). With my coupon it came out at just under $20.
DSC09592.jpg
DSC09593.jpg
DSC09594.jpg

GentlemanGeorge

Reaction score
Brand new women's navy Gravati loafers: $3.99

They had apparently been at a consignment store previously then donated; a hang tag was on it saying: "These look comfy! $18--"
ba124a9d.jpg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

20100321igp2645.jpg

20100321igp2646.jpg

You might have a fake on your hands there... some more pics (fabric tag especially) and I can tell you for sure.

Hate to burst your bubble...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
That's a fantastic coat! Bobby Jones makes some nice stuff. It's a subdivision of Hickey-Freeman, if memory serves.

Originally Posted by Nataku
Had a bit of luck today. I found this gorgeous baby alpaca/wool sweater/jacket piece by Bobby Jones Collection. I know Bobby Jones isn't exactly a SF-endorsed label, but this jacket is beautiful. The inside lining which is pure baby Alpaca feels amazing. Almost makes me wish it were fall so I can wear it. This is the first decent piece I've found at the Salvation Army since before Christmas. $5.99

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/DSC09588.jpg

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/DSC09590.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads