• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Lesser has some hegemony on Savile row ?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
For reasons that I don't care to detail, I find myself being stuck with two suit lengths of corduroy and a jacket length of really swell Scabal two ply tweed.

Fwock. I hate being in that position.

I'll probably send the Scabal on to Edwin, but still...I find that keeping fabric is a nuisance.

- B

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sometimes feel like people say things for bragging rights only on this forum.

Why would anyone stock fabric they wouldn't use ( vox this is not geared to you) and you can't possible by enough fabric to save the money you really want to ( manton and mafoofan this is direct to you).
Buying cut goods and the right jobber found on clearence or whatever might happen but it will NEVER compare to buying piece goods and you can't tell me you are going to use 120 m of the same fabric for yourselves.
Do you see where I am going with this and from what I understand you two are well respected on this forum so you should give the best information possible because what you say carries a lot of weight to alot of people and in the end you just make people look dumb.
Not a slam just an observation.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Huh?

The longest piece of anything I have is 5 m. Everything I have, I bought intending to make some day. I have however sold a grand total of two pieces, each to buyers who really wanted that particular length to make up in the near term. Since I wasn't sure when I would get around to either, I sold.

I absolutley have saved money this way. There is no question. Maybe not a lot, but enough in certain circumstance to make it worth it. I don't think I have ever paid more than $60 per yard, and most was more like $40 and some was $15.

Another reason to buy cloth myself is to get stuff that certain tailors can't get. For instance, Solito has limited access to English mills. So give him English cloth that I can get that he can't, or not easily or not as cheaply as I can.

The other main reason I have bought cloth is that I have seen stuff that is interesting and that seems not to exist elsewhere. So I snap it up.

There really are sensible reasons why some of us do this. Really.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
I sometimes feel like people say things for bragging rights only on this forum.

Why would anyone stock fabric they wouldn't use ( vox this is not geared to you) and you can't possible by enough fabric to save the money you really want to ( manton and mafoofan this is direct to you).
Buying cut goods and the right jobber found on clearence or whatever might happen but it will NEVER compare to buying piece goods and you can't tell me you are going to use 120 m of the same fabric for yourselves.
Do you see where I am going with this and from what I understand you two are well respected on this forum so you should give the best information possible because what you say carries a lot of weight to alot of people and in the end you just make people look dumb.
Not a slam just an observation.

Well, I'm confused by what you're getting at. Up until now, just about every piece of cloth I've bought has been a jacket's length from a limited supply. The purpose of buying them was not to save money, but to acquire unique cloth that I personally like.

On the one occasion I did buy some regular production cloth, some Alsport, I did so at a price low enough such that I'd save money on my next jacket order (about $200US, give or take).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Another reason to buy cloth myself is to get stuff that certain tailors can't get. For instance, Solito has limited access to English mills. So give him English cloth that I can get that he can't...

This is how I got stuck with the tweed and corduroy.

- B

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are arguing my point. You buy cut piece goods!!! You buy 5 yards at a time which is great because you can make a suit or what ever you want with that amount of cloth. When you buy "CUT" piece goods that's all you will really ever buy.
Now piece goods are sold by the roll. Depending on the mill 50 to 70 yards/meters a pop. Most mills have a two roll minimum. So for argument sake 120m or yards is a **** load of fabric and you don't want to store that in your attic.

Maybe it's my fault for not knowing the Mens clothing lingo but being in the industry these are the terms we use. I am starting to make bespoke and MTM suits. I work closely with the mills and if I have to ( cringe) I go to big jobbers who own lots of stock and charge some crazy prices.
I work with a SR tailor and three of americas best suit makers. I am just giving you information that I have acquired.
Like I said before you guys are well respected names on the forum. Manton $60.00 a yard for some of the fabric you have mentioned is a great deal but I doubt people have the tenacity ( sp)
to look for great deals like you do.

does this make sense as a whole??

vox- and you are hating yourself right now it seems.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are arguing my point. You buy cut piece goods!!! You buy 5 yards at a time which is great because you can make a suit or what ever you want with that amount of cloth. When you buy "CUT" piece goods that's all you will really ever buy.
Now piece goods are sold by the roll. Depending on the mill 50 to 70 yards/meters a pop. Most mills have a two roll minimum. So for argument sake 120m or yards is a **** load of fabric and you don't want to store that in your attic.

Maybe it's my fault for not knowing the Mens clothing lingo but being in the industry these are the terms we use. I am starting to make bespoke and MTM suits. I work closely with the mills and if I have to ( cringe) I go to big jobbers who own lots of stock and charge some crazy prices.
I work with a SR tailor and three of americas best suit makers. I am just giving you information that I have acquired.
Like I said before you guys are well respected names on the forum. Manton $60.00 a yard for some of the fabric you have mentioned is a great deal but I doubt people have the tenacity ( sp)
to look for great deals like you do.

does this make sense as a whole??

Why? Wouldn't a stop at Tip Top in NYC pretty much guarantee such a find?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The purpose of buying them was not to save money, but to acquire unique cloth that I personally like.

Me, too, but I'm not sure if Mauro is addressing the uniqueness side of the equation. In cases like the LL cloth club, it's not buying from a jobber or remnants, but getting enough people together so that 50 or 60 meters of the cloth that wouldn't otherwise exist will actually be woven.

--Andre

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ you are right. I am not looking at it like that. I am looking from a wholesale retail business side. I appreciate unique cloth. I spend the majority of my time looking at all types of fabric but in the end if the minimums can't be met you won't get the goods....well you could pay an up charge that would make most grown men cry..lol

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Well, not everything works out the way that one plans.

The tweed, at least, will be a beneficiary of the debacle, since it will be made up by a much better tailor than would have otherwise been the case.

- B

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hey, that's great when life gives you lemons add the vodka!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
hey, that's great when life gives you lemons add the vodka!

This is why I wear Crate x Farinelli despite the grundleholes.

- B

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol!!! Nice!

courty

Reaction score
I am not sure what Mauro's point is. I have quite a bit of cloth that I bought for the same reasons stated by others - I either got a good deal on it, wanted to get some before it sold out, or both. I never bought a length of cloth without the inention of getting it made some day.

I have only had a few things made up from my own stock of cloth and continue to order clothes made from cloth provided through the tailor. Some of my cloth will definitely be made up in the future but some may not be. As a result, I am holiding some cloth I am glad to have as well as other cloth I wish I had not bought. It appears that I am not unique in this regard.

If Mauro's point is that it is less hassle to simply buy cloth through the tailor when ordering the finished garmets I agree. On the other hand, for those of us who do not have the means or the space to order clothes in every cloth we like, buying the cloth alone - to be made another day (possibly when the cloth is no longer available) - is simply a reasonable alternative. I am not sure bragging rights comes into the equation at all.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should have never brought up bragging rights. My point is normally going through your tailor is a wise choice. if you are a collector of cloth by all means buy what you want. However until you start buying fabric in bulk ( 120m +) you will never get the prices you truly are looking for. It's odd to me that people are complaining about the prices when just about everyone here knows basic business.
Some people were saying that the tailors were upcharging for fabric. I think that's absurd. A bespoke or quality MTM is expensive enough, to add extra for fabric is just silly unless they are buying bulk which should still be under what you would pay if you went through a jobber or retailer.
Does this make sense??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads