• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

splattered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illumin8em

I really do not see anything that you should be concerned about. It really does nothing but protect the boot (both water, and wear), and darken it a little. If you have the Amber Harness color, then you can notice that the leather has a slightly greasy/moist look and feel to it. Obenauf's would just add to this effect. You are simply treating the leather, not applying a polish. Treating the leather is something that you will want to do anyways, if you want your boots to last for as long as possible. Not to say the boots won't last without it.

Conditioning them is just like applying moisturizer and sunblock to your skin to protect it from daily wear and tear, and harsh UV rays. You and your boots will look better in the years to come than those who failed to take precautions... blah blah blah

Kk thanks!

kookydooky

Reaction score
Anybody have pics of Redwings with New Standard jeans, I want to see how they work together

Gunky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rosenkruez
what's so special about red wing boots?

classic style, good quality, american made, well the heritage line at least.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2980716489_d711516e10_b.jpg
that pic is so awesome in so many ways....

Hehlol

Reaction score
Vaitek;3072662 said:
That's definitely an awesome pic! I have the Beckman 6" classic round boot. Took about 4 days to break them in and I dig them. I treated them with Obenauf's heavy duty LP.

Pardon the trash on the floor and my beater jeans.

You have 'beater jeans'? Furthermore, you want people to pardon them? Masculinity died in this post.

Torn

Reaction score
What's the difference between the Beckman's and the GTs, besides the leather? The shape looks identical.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Torn
What's the difference between the Beckman's and the GTs, besides the leather? The shape looks identical.

They are the same. I've seen the mock toe referred to as the Beckman boot, and visa versa; it seems to depend on the seller.

Here is a pair of a cool ebay find for me. I now have a pretty solid RW collection.

img2065c.jpg

img2072i.jpg

img2067s.jpg

img2070g.jpg

img2068eb.jpg

img2069g.jpg

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
WOW, great colour and very nice mini lug sole. Great find - wouldn't mind a pair of them myself.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by illumin8em
simply heat Obenauf's LP on top of a warm stove or something, (i heat mine till the top is liquid) then dip your fingers in and apply, and rubb it in thoroughly. Done. Be careful when heating, i forgot mine and melted a small hole in the bottom of the container a couple of weeks ago

I heat up the leather w/a hair dryer and the paste melts when applied (not Obenauf's). Safer than the stove, IMO.

Originally Posted by ispace
Does this stuff stain the inside of your jeans/pants?

Apply up to 3 or 4" from the top - there's a little difference in shade but this abates over time, These are work boots after all, not evening pumps.

splattered

Reaction score
Does Red Wing make a Moc Toe boot with regular all black soles? I saw someone at the wild animal park today that had a super nice pair of moc toe boots that were a nice medium brown with all black soles, i wanted to ask him what they were but felt weird heh They kinda looked like redwing or something similar to me...

Adam_Lee

Reaction score
What do you mean by regular all black soles? Try the GT Beckman or the J.crew Rugged Classic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads