• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 10 Discussion

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wear gap small, h&m small and jcrew small

although H&M is tight sometimes

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Is it?
I'm not certain but that's what customer service told me a few months ago and I've noticed when some of the regular/standard items go on sale, it ends in an even number (either .00 or .50). The officer chinos are on sale right now and the standard british khaki is $55.00 and the other colors end in .99.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Hey gang, I'm a Canadian, so I need a some shirt size comparison help.

I'm a solid GAP small, a solid Club Monaco small, a solid H&M medium, and an Epaulet large. Is it safe to say that I'd be a medium in the J Crew summer button downs?

I'm the same size in gap and j crew button ups.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Hey gang, I'm a Canadian, so I need a some shirt size comparison help.

I'm a solid GAP small, a solid Club Monaco small, a solid H&M medium, and an Epaulet large. Is it safe to say that I'd be a medium in the J Crew summer button downs?

I'm the same. You'd be fine with small in JCrew. Shoulder will be nearly identical with Gap but fuller chest and arms.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UltraMagnetical
thanks man....would you recommend swapping them out for the broken in essentials?...they had those at my local store and they were a little cheaper.

thanks in advance.

Well I think what you have are fine and will hold up well enough, but it sounds like you may not. I think you should go with your guy and exchange them. I bet you would feel better about the choice in the long run.

golfham

Reaction score
So when an item says "expected to ship 05.10.2010," does that mean they'll charge my card when it's shipped?

tooshay

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted having the red chambray taken in yet? I'm seriously considering having this done. Sleeves are seriously baggy.

snuff_daddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
saw this shirt yesterday ...gonna get my gf to use her student discount not my image...image from b&s section:
ju7pj4.jpg

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tooshay
Has anyone attempted having the red chambray taken in yet? I'm seriously considering having this done. Sleeves are seriously baggy.
Thinking about it too but haven't done it so far. And because the fabric is so light, sleeve so baggy, and my arms shorter - the extra length kinda hangs down, muffin-top style, over the cuff instead of stacking. Getting close to pirate-look territory. Having said all that, SoCal weather has been awesome lately and it's my favorite shirt at the moment with sleeves rolled. For the person earlier asking about the shrinkage from the wash and dry, I noticed it shrank about quarter inch in sleeve length. It feels a tad bit tighter in the chest and body as well. I didn't measure back. Highly unscientific but I certainly can feel some shrinkage occurred, but nothing significant to really change the fit. This is pretty much typical of all my JC shirts. It's usually most apparent in the sleeves as I have all my shirts hanging on the same type of hangers. I have a lightweight and madras shirt that I haven't worn or washed yet and the sleeves of those are about quarter to half inch longer than all the others. Incidentally, the shortest sleeves are one JC shirt I got off ebay that turned out to be from the outlet (damn those ebayers!). The sleeves on those are another half inch shorter than the other washed shirts.

Vaitek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
For the person earlier asking about the shrinkage from the wash and dry, I noticed it shrank about quarter inch in sleeve length. It feels a tad bit tighter in the chest and body as well. I didn't measure back. Highly unscientific but I certainly can feel some shrinkage occurred, but nothing significant to really change the fit.

Thanks for that. Did you hang dry or use a dryer?

tooshay

Reaction score
Right, just got back from the tailor after not having much success with wash/dry method.

My main issues were:

1. Sleeves too long
2. Sleeves too baggy
3. Body too wide

...And this is in a small, the same size I wear all my Crew **** in.

The tailor explained that shortening the sleeves just over an inch would be no problem but that slimming them would be impossible, judging by the double stitching on the inside. As far as the body went, he's adding two darts in the back.

I gotta say, just having the pins in place made it look 50% better, but I'll be wiser tomorrow when I get it back.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys keep buying J Crew shirts if you have to get the tailored?
You can get mtm for like $50 and with the same exact fabric J Crew uses for like $70.

Edit- Though if you get them on sale for $30-$50 the extra $20 for tailoring the sleeves, chest, torso,... might make it worth it.

tooshay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Why do you guys keep buying J Crew shirts if you have to get the tailored?

Never had a J Crew shirt in small fit me anything but absolutely perfect. Believe me, this is the first time in my life I've ever had a shirt tailored.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lands end has some J Crew looking plaids and gingham shirts. They are $70, but you can use any of the dozens codes they offer.
http://www.landsend.com/cgi-bin/Cust...=NEW&CM_MERCH=

Modern Tailor has some MTM plaids and checks for as little as $30.
http://www.moderntailor.com/pub/desi...n=selectFabric

Proper Cloth offers Made in the US MTM shirts using J Crew like checks, plaids, stripes,... They are a bit expensive, but the quality is really great.
http://propercloth.com/custom-dress-shirts/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads