• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Lesser has some hegemony on Savile row ?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
hedgemoney ?

Dvid Lesser is still refusing to sell directly to uk based customers even if he told me his margins would be a lot better if he decided to do so...

passingtime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Dvid Lesser is still refusing to sell directly to uk based customers even if he told me his margins would be a lot better if he decided to do so...
There is little incentive for him to sell direct. If you want Lessers you will buy it anyway albeit through the tailor. What is his upside? The vast majority of his business is with tailors making for people who have absolutely no interest in sourcing cloth themselves, and these tailors like the exclusivity - why destroy that USP?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by passingtime
There is little incentive for him to sell direct. If you want Lessers you will buy it anyway albeit through the tailor. What is his upside? The vast majority of his business is with tailors making for people who have absolutely no interest in sourcing cloth themselves, and these tailors like the exclusivity - why destroy that USP?

I was wondering the same thing. If a UK customer wants it he can just ask his tailor to get it for him.

Does anyone want a proxy for Lesser since he agreed to sell it to me direct for I live in India
devil.gif
. I could do it for free but paypal fees and both sides shipping will make it very expensive ...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I was wondering the same thing. If a UK customer wants it he can just ask his tailor to get it for him.

Does anyone want a proxy for Lesser since he agreed to sell it to me direct for I live in India
devil.gif
. I could do it for free but paypal fees and both sides shipping will make it very expensive ...

A tailor would get it at a business rate and will be relunctant selling it back to you as he got a gentleman's agreement with Lesser...

It is a small world and people tend to talk to each other..

It is a catch 22 situation.....The tailors influenced the customers and order regularly vast amounts of fabrics making them essential for the merchants even if the margins are much lower than selling directly to me for example..

On the other hand ,the tailor needs a good relationship with te merchant to get the best deal possible..

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why exactly do you want to purchase cloth directly rather than simply ask your tailor to use it? Are you going to cut a suit yourself?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Also, sometimes I know I am going to want a certain cloth made up some day, but there is risk that it could run out. In such cases, I'd rather have a piece in my attic all ready to go.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
No tailor's markup? No middleman local distributor markup? Some tailors are unwilling to go to the effort of obtaining certain fabrics lest they offend their current suppliers?
Those are fine generic reasons but don't seem to apply to lasbar's case - hence my question, which was not a generic one. His tailors do have access to Lesser and they even seem to promote using them.
Originally Posted by Manton
Also, sometimes I know I am going to want a certain cloth made up some day, but there is risk that it could run out. In such cases, I'd rather have a piece in my attic all ready to go.
That makes sense.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Why exactly do you want to purchase cloth directly rather than simply ask your tailor to use it? Are you going to cut a suit yourself?

They charged me an arm and a leg for it...

I'm talking about the Golden bale ...They got it for a certain amount and did apply a massive surcharge on top of it...

It is true that I wouldn't have been able to buy it at their trade prices but with the surcharge on top , it is becoming quite a bad deal.

I also like Manton love to stock some fabrics to use later on especially the golden bale with no stock left..

passingtime

Reaction score
They charged me an arm and a leg for it...

I'm talking about the Golden bale ...They got it for a certain amount and did apply a massive surcharge on top of it...

It is true that I wouldn't have been able to buy it at their trade prices but with the surcharge on top , it is becoming quite a bad deal.

Would they be prepared to make up Lessers if you provided it? Some tailors don't care but others won't and those are more likely to complain to Lessers who will trace back the source if they can to stop it from happening again.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry to be that guy but you ALL have to retrain your brain's.

buying cut goods are ALWAYS going to be more expensive. When you go through a jobber there will always be an upcharge , that's business.
A few of the makers you are speaking about in this thread son't even make all of their own fabric. They have other mills do it for them.

The internet in this case is a bad thing. You want to be wholesalers without the over head and it's just not going to happen.

Best,
Mauro

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
The internet in this case is a bad thing. You want to be wholesalers without the over head and it's just not going to happen.

Best,
Mauro

teacha.gif
Most sensible thing I've read all day.

passingtime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Sorry to be that guy but you ALL have to retrain your brain's.

buying cut goods are ALWAYS going to be more expensive. When you go through a jobber there will always be an upcharge , that's business.
A few of the makers you are speaking about in this thread son't even make all of their own fabric. They have other mills do it for them.

I am not hung up on whether a firm makes their own fabric or not. It is far more important to me that at the end of the day the fabric is what I expect. Lessers are a good example of this; they don't make any fabric but they specify and check the product from the mills they use to ensure that the quality and finish is consistent with their specifications. If I am buying from Lessers I am after a certain look and quality - if they provide that then the details are of no concern to me.

More people need to realise that.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's not really true that you can NEVER save on cloth buying for yourself. Maybe it's not common, and it's arguably more trouble than it's worth. But certainly it can be done.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It's not really true that you can NEVER save on cloth buying for yourself. Maybe it's not common, and it's arguably more trouble than it's worth. But certainly it can be done.
Also, it can make sense if your tailor is overseas and you see a cloth that you like that you don't know if he carries--or if you want to get a piece of cloth you think won't be available much longer and don't want to presently commit the funds necessary for a new jacket or suit order.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads