• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***The official LVC thread***

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm putting together the basics and have decided on LVC 501s as my first pair of selvedge blue jeans. I have a pair of $30 501s right now, and like them a lot. Right now, it's a toss-up between:
the '33 for the waist cinch and lighter denim.
the '44 for the history (WWII) and the painted arcuates.
the '47 for the history and fit everyone raves about.

I have a 31" waist, but all the measurements I'm seeing are even. Will a 32" shrink down to my size?
Do the suspender buttons on the '33 get uncomfortable with a belt on? If so, how hard is it to get them taken off? How about the waist cinch?
How durable are the painted arcuates on the '44s?
Which do the top blocks of each differ from the regular 501? I ask because I'm a slim guy with a big butt and usually have difficulty finding jeans that fit but aren't too baggy. The 501s fit quite nicely.
How do the legs of each differ, in general and from the regular 501? From what I read, the 47' is a bit slimmer than the rest of LVC, but I don't remember seeing anything about the '33 or '44.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^33s are a rather wide leg (wider than modern 501) with alot of anti-fit (meaning ass bagginess). The susp buttons doesnt get uncomfortable imo. 44s are closer to normal 501s, but still loose and with anti-fit.

Regal

Reaction score
Quick question-

Tried asking in the "Ask a Question, Get an Answer" thread to no avail...does anyone know why some 1947 501s seem to have visible selvedge inside the coin pocket and some don't? I feel like I've seen them both ways.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Regal
Quick question-

Tried asking in the "Ask a Question, Get an Answer" thread to no avail...does anyone know why some 1947 501s seem to have visible selvedge inside the coin pocket and some don't? I feel like I've seen them both ways.

Mine has a selvedge line, maybe the ones without are the limited 501 1947 non-LVC.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My '37s have selvedge in the coin pocket.

Regal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Mine has a selvedge line, maybe the ones without are the limited 501 1947 non-LVC.
That would make sense. I actually thought my LVC 47s didn't have it, but I just checked and it's there but it's very thin and the section that would be white has picked up indigo from rubbing against the denim (they're over a year old).

Pablo-T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by .Impulsv
Hey guys. I'm putting together the basics and have decided on LVC 501s as my first pair of selvedge blue jeans. I have a pair of $30 501s right now, and like them a lot. Right now, it's a toss-up between:
the '33 for the waist cinch and lighter denim.
the '44 for the history (WWII) and the painted arcuates.
the '47 for the history and fit everyone raves about.

I have a 31" waist, but all the measurements I'm seeing are even. Will a 32" shrink down to my size?
Do the suspender buttons on the '33 get uncomfortable with a belt on? If so, how hard is it to get them taken off? How about the waist cinch?
How durable are the painted arcuates on the '44s?
Which do the top blocks of each differ from the regular 501? I ask because I'm a slim guy with a big butt and usually have difficulty finding jeans that fit but aren't too baggy. The 501s fit quite nicely.
How do the legs of each differ, in general and from the regular 501? From what I read, the 47' is a bit slimmer than the rest of LVC, but I don't remember seeing anything about the '33 or '44.

Check out this thread:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...ad.php?t=34010

If you're a 31 waist you will need a 32 in the 33 - this is generous, you could probably even downsize to a 30 - probably a 30 in the 44, and a 32 in the 47.

Yes, the suspender buttons on the 33 are slightly uncomforable with a belt. All you need to get rid is a pair of pliers. 44 is a fair bit narrower than the 33. Check the thread above for all the leg dimensions.

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the link! From the looks of it, I've ruled out the '33, so it is now between the '44 and '47.
I sized down to a 30 on my 501s, and they were just a little tight in the top block but have stretched out fine. I'm going to drop by Macy's later and take a few measurements to compare.
How did you measure rise?

EDIT: So I went and measured dry 30x34 501s (what I wear now). From the looks of it, the regular 501 has a smaller leg than any LVC.
Comparing them to your posted measurements, the only thing I'm stuck on is rise. Is the rise of the regular 501 closer to the '44 or '47? I'm a stickler about this because the rise on my 501s is just right. Any lower and they'd be uncomfortable.

I've done a little more research into the '44s. According to an old post of yours, they have a "reasonably shaped seat." I still can't find anything about the durability of the painted arcuates, though.

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Btw, if any of you want to introduce your girlfriend to the whole repro jeans scene, and you don't want to go all in buying her a pair of 505 or 501z (I am assuming that most women like a slimmer fit), you could buy her a pair of the orange tab 606. I gave my a girlfriend a pair, and she really likes them and they look perfect on her. They have a slightly high waist and a skinny leg.
She has been talking about buying a pair of 501z jeans now, as she likes how they fit me. I am on the fence about buying her a pair, as women tend to be insanely picky about jeans. I get the feeling that most men here care more about the details, fabric etc compared to the fit - not saying that the fit isn't important - it is more of a mix.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wagthesam
Why does context say 1.5 inches of shrink lengthwise on the lvc55's when everything else says 3 inches?

I actually just bought some 55s last weekend in store at Context and I wanna say they shrank more like 2-3 inches in the inseam because they fit me perfect. I bought a 33x34 and it shrank to about 32.5x31.5 give or take...

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
I actually just bought some 55s last weekend in store at Context and I wanna say they shrank more like 2-3 inches in the inseam because they fit me perfect. I bought a 33x34 and it shrank to about 32.5x31.5 give or take...

Maybe you should be a bit worried about further shrinkage then.
peepwall[1].gif

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simontuntelder
Maybe you should be a bit worried about further shrinkage then.
peepwall[1].gif

Ha! Well, I did sit in my tub for about 30 minutes in pretty hot water and it's not like the inseam is short at all, I could lose another inch and I'd still be fine. I am far from worried nor care bcause Levi's stretch like a motherfucker...

.Impulsv

Reaction score
I picked up my 44's from the post office this morning. The difference between the denim of these and my normal 501s is night and day. I considered wearing them without soaking them, but it's too loose in the seat for that. 30x32 Waist 31" Inseam 33.25" Front Rise 12.5" Rear Rise 15.75" Thigh (at crotch) 11.5" Thigh (7" below crotch) 9.5" Knee 8.5" Leg Opening 8.5" As requested, pictures of them presoak. I had to take these with my Macbook's camera, so excuse the quality.
2cxdqmx.jpg
140byif.jpg
2ufzivq.jpg
2gxjvhv.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads