• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
R0011725-1.jpg

R0011722-1-1.jpg

R0011761-1.jpg

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Give me some saphir and I can make the cordovan smell nice. I suspect that it is more a function of some burnishing with a premium polish that gives it the smell, since the shells come from Horween as well but I could be wrong.

Although Horween claims the same process is used for all their shell, Aldens, AE and Vass all seem to have their own subtle characteristics.

Each shoe manufacturer does their own finishing to the leather, thus the difference.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
IMO i have not seen anyone work with Shell better than Vass!
+1, carmina as a close contender has anyone here ever commissioned a bespoke order made out of shell? maybe with marcellhun?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
+1, carmina as a close contender

has anyone here ever commissioned a bespoke order made out of shell? maybe with marcellhun?

never heard of anyone commision Shell bepsoke, esp with the English makers, but i have considered it with G&G - not sure if i will go thru with it after see their mock RR samples in Feb

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Thread needs more pics ... someone please feed my addiction!!

you better buy some Vass and then post them then!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
F Last Brouged Cap Toe with Seamless Heel, a la EG's Berkley in Antique Congac Calf

R0012165-2.jpg

R0012123-2.jpg

R0012168-1.jpg

R0012087-1-1.jpg

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
+1, carmina as a close contender

has anyone here ever commissioned a bespoke order made out of shell? maybe with marcellhun?

never heard of anyone commision Shell bepsoke, esp with the English makers, but i have considered it with G&G - not sure if i will go thru with it after see their mock RR samples in Feb

I've had Rider Boots MTO in shell - not sure that there's much of a difference in the process, except that shell doesn't stretch and broguing it can break it, so there are limitations to design. Differences in finish depend on the maker, as everyone gets the same shells from Nick, so perhaps there's a risk that you could find a maker who's not familiar with the material and might not do as good a job.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
I've had Rider Boots MTO in shell - not sure that there's much of a difference in the process, except that shell doesn't stretch and broguing it can break it, so there are limitations to design. Differences in finish depend on the maker, as everyone gets the same shells from Nick, so perhaps there's a risk that you could find a maker who's not familiar with the material and might not do as good a job.

well most of the shell Vass that i have or have been posted are MTO's

at the G&G trunk show someone asked if was possible to use shell for a seemless wholecut - so watch this space, but i doubt it as there is not much shrinkage in shell like with calf

Bellison

Reaction score
One thing I don't like about Vass is that the soles are so thick and protrude from the front of the shoe so much that they make the otherwise elegant shape of the shoe look clunky and unrefined. If they could do something about the thickness and the front protrusion I'd be all over these shoes.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
F Last Brouged Cap Toe with Seamless Heel, a la EG's Berkley in Antique Congac Calf

R0012165-2.jpg

R0012123-2.jpg

R0012168-1.jpg

R0012087-1-1.jpg

great balance of last and sole thickness.

i really dig them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads