• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Coated = denim that's been treated with a coating of something (wax generally, can be other things). Coated jeans tend to not be raw, and the coating will generally fade over time (washing will increase the rate) Overdyed = denim that has been redyed after the initial dye (can be done at the thread level, denim level, or garment level). Overdyed jeans will fade from the overdye to the regular dye to the core (white). Cheap coated jeans are hard to come by because coated denim tends to be custom and if it's from a quality mill, that means $$$. (I have come across Jean Shop black coated Rockers but I don't remember the price, could proxy if interested
spam[1].gif
)

Gain

Reaction score
First post
smile.gif
So I am looking to redo my wardrobe and want to start with jeans. I find my current jeans look really tight in the thighs, especially when I am sitting down and my thighs look even bigger. Am I just buying the wrong size? Generally, how loose should jeans be? I am currently a 32/32 and it fits pretty well in the waist and the height is perfect. Forgot to add: the style I normally get is Straight cut. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

jimmy_boi

Reaction score
can anyone recommend me a slim straight blue raw jean that would good on a person with short legs? it seems like every time i buy a skinny / taper jeans it makes my legs look even shorter. i have many bootcut jeans and just want to change it up a lil bit. i reallie like the Epaulet blue indigo jeans but they don't have a 31 and i would buy a 30 but im not a fan of sizing down due to a few bad experience. unless the jean is known to stretch crazy like apc then i woudl size down but i don\\t mind the waist being little big as long i feel comfortable.

my budget is around 250 USD, im also 5'8 weight 157 pounds

thanks

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the guy with the third question post in a row, but...
I'm going to be in NYC for most of the summer, and I was thinking about getting a pair of black APC new standards while I was there, seeing as there's an actual APC shop in NY and everything. I know you're supposed to wear them for at least 6 months before washing, and so forth, but I don't know how durable they are.

In other words, if I only wore this pair of APCs every day, how long would they last? How long would they last in a rotation of 3-4 pairs of jeans? Would I get better value per wear out of 4 pairs of Levis, 6 pairs of bdgs, or 1 pair of APCs?

(These wouldn't be my soccer/paint a house/ build a building etc. jeans, I have scuzzy beat-up jeans already for that purpose).

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know you should probably just avoid a slim jean if you're looking for something slightly anti-fit. But there are those odd slim jeans that have denim/hardware that catches your eye and isn't available in a straight leg cut.

Would it be silly to size UP one on a slim jean if the thigh, knee, and hem measurements all sound perfect, but the waist is about a half-size bigger than where my broken in jeans are? Some things to consider:

- I don't have a pancake ass, either, so I would imagine that would be something that could keep sizing up from being an eventual disaster.
- While the waist on my broken in jeans have room, they aren't falling off ******, either.
- My broken in jeans are a straight cut, while these are a slim cut.
- With less tension at the waist, it shouldn't stretch as much, correct?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What other jeans fit like 7 FAM jeans?

I like the fit of the 7 FAM boot cut jeans, but want to venture out a little.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysb
a month-long denim binge yielded: flat head 4001 (3001 in black I think) flat head BSP KMW 1980 epaulet EP's I have enough breaking in to do for the rest of the year, right? but now I'm kind of wanting to add a pair of Dior 19cm MIJ to the mix just so I can finish out this "collecting phase" and be all set for real [yeah right
wink.gif
] anyone with experience think that the DH would be redundant in that lineup? I've got other pairs of APC's, nudies, and acne's as well in my collection, but they've been worn. Something about having a queue of project jeans just fulfills something in me. Thanks.

If you want an enabler, you're in the right forum. My small 2 cents is that (1) you're never really done collecting...(you know this part) and (2) even if I had the identical cut I liked on five different jeans, the denim would still be different. But I don't think you need any justification for adding to your lineup. Especially jeans with such a different attitude like DH.
Originally Posted by enigma77
How to hem jeans: Part of the reason why people cuff their jeans, aside from the whole trendiness factor, is that it allows them to buy a pair of expensive jeans without spending $12 on a hem. If you think you look better without the cuff (and -- anticipating flame war! -- most people do), spend that $12. Good luck!
Nicely done Enigma. Awesome summary. Would rep if I could. Re: cuffs: I cuff. Hem cost isn't an issue for me, and it's not really a fashion decision. It's because: 1. shrink/stretch cycles of denim and the leg shortening from eventual stacking, and creasing/bunching is very much an issue. Jeans can also shrink a second or third time when soak or wash again. Sanforized worn dry in the beginning can shrink up to an inch when eventually washed. You always need more material than you think. Only experience teaches you that. I learned the very hard, expensive and frustrating way. 2. Cuffing also changes the drape and silhouette of the leg, and also has a 'retro' look I like. I've also done it since I was ten. 3. Cuffing spares your shoes from getting stained blue. This actually happens more than you'd think. 4. Cuffing shows off that $300 selvage line! I've found tailors, even ones with denim experience, to be a good asset, but have learned to use their input cautiously like any other advice. In the end, I learned the hard way what works best on hem length and cuffs for me, but I earned it. It's gonna vary a lot with every pair and fit, every time, so broad rules of advice should be treated as a guideline only. In the end, I trust my own call first and last.
Originally Posted by dragonxking
just received a pair of somet 003, and after wearing it for 2-3 hours, they feel pretty nice. the rise is incredibly low (8.5") what do you guys think of the fit: yay or nay
a29442.jpg

Dude, those look fantastic. Every time I see a great 003 fit, I want them again.
Originally Posted by ysb
I tried on the RJB 106bsp at the self edge store and they've got a zipper. They might be what you're looking for http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=395
Some of the FH cuts too. 3001 if you can find it (Rakuten).
Originally Posted by jimmy_boi
can anyone recommend me a slim straight blue raw jean that would good on a person with short legs? my budget is around 250 USD, im also 5'8 weight 157 pounds thanks
We're about the same size and inseam. Look for 'slim straight' cuts. They frequently work best for me. Email BiG and SE with that question. Also check out my [shameless plug] sale below, and those EP jeans at Epaulet, as well as the 'Sub-$200' jeans thread.
Originally Posted by APK
Would it be silly to size UP one on a slim jean if the thigh, knee, and hem measurements all sound perfect, but the waist is about a half-size bigger than where my broken in jeans are? Some things to consider:
Sizing up on slim jeans is a good solution for those of us in need of a slim straight but don't want tight. It's done often. Go for it. You can always wear a belt, but if they're too tight elsewhere, you're screwed. I've had too many experiences with mis-fits.

Spyre

Reaction score
Guys, a quick newbie question here. I love the fit of my 30/32 levi's 511. I've had them for a year or two, and by now the ass and knees are well on their way to getting blown out. So I'm looking for a new pair of jeans.

I want a pair that essentially fits exactly like the 511, but higher quality selvege/raw. There's got to be a brand that's got a similar cut, but I don't even know where to start looking. Does such a thing exist? Can anyone recommend a brand/model?

taco

Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? APC Petit Standard or Naked and Famous skinny guy are both a good value for raw/selvedge. The main difference is that raw jeans tend of have longer inseams (34-36") compared to your levis so you'll get more stacking, or you could hem them.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a cheaper alternative to the stretch black 511s... any ideas?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wait.... you want a jean that's cheaper than Levi's? Go to goodwill

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Wait.... you want a jean that's cheaper than Levi's? Go to goodwill
They're $60!!! The ones I bought in 2007 were like $30. I think Uniqlo has a pair of skinnies...

Scooba

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on gray denim? Lately I have really wanted to get a pair which is strange cause I never get any sort of colored denim ( I would never buy black denim) but I kind of want some darker gray jeans.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scooba
What is everyone's opinion on gray denim? Lately I have really wanted to get a pair which is strange cause I never get any sort of colored denim ( I would never buy black denim) but I kind of want some darker gray jeans.

Get'em.

I'm looking for a pair of washed,slim jeans in a dad jeans sorta way. Basically dad jeans with a modern cut. Any leads would be helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads