• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Lesser has some hegemony on Savile row ?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Again, for the most part SR does not upcharge for Lesser yet they pay more for it than for comparable worsteds. So they are eating that differential. That is inconsistent with pushing Lesser to increase margins.
How do you know this?

Did you hear this from Lesser, or from a tailor, who as MFF points out, has a vested interest in making you think that he is making a loss on a product he is selling to you?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, their website is terrible. They are such a backward company that there is really no hope they will ever have a decent online presense. The only hope is that someone will do what AndrewRogers did for Harrison, but don't count on it because Lesser is pretty strict about selling only to tailors.

I tried but they said no. I tried again and they said no again. They just wouldn't budge.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh.
facepalm.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I e-mailed them asking if they had a distributor in India and they replied no. But since they dont a distribution network here they agreed to supply cloth to me directly. They made it clear that they dont it in markets where they have a presence.

I didnt pursue it after that since I had no access to their books and so could not order. Their website is quite basic so even if I request for a particular book I didnt know which one to ask for.

Also seeing my tailor's reluctance with CTM, it was not worth pursuing.

I wish these smaller British firms have some presence in India.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To what extent was English sartorial culture transferred to India during the Raj? Is it something that reigned and then died off after 1947, or was it never implanted at all? Or did it take root and is it still thriving today?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gandhi thought it a shame the pith helmet couldn't be adopted as national dress because of its imperialist connotations as it was such an ingenious invention. I wonder if something like that happened with tailored clothing.

Either way, I can imagine a lot of tropical wool, linen and cotton were involved, whatever the answer.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by passingtime
Lessers are fairly unique in never discounting remainders. Their view is that they have the space to store the cloth so they don't need to dump it and if someone wants it they will pay the price. It means they have quite a lot of old cloth.

This is not quite true. They sometimes do discount old stock. I don't know what % of the time they do, and maybe it is much less than 50%, but it's not unheard of.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
How do you know this?

Did you hear this from Lesser, or from a tailor, who as MFF points out, has a vested interest in making you think that he is making a loss on a product he is selling to you?

I know because when I have ordered Lesser, they have not said "That will be 100 GBP extra."

I never said any tailor actually loses money selling Lesser; I said that they lose a little of their profit margin (and usually not very much). And nobody actually say "This costs more but we won't charge you more, so aren't you lucky." I just happen to know the wholesale prices of a lot of cloth, thus I know that in many categories, for the same basic type of goods, Lesser costs more than a competitor. It's not 2x more, typically more like 10-25% or even 50% or so more.

Gent

Reaction score
I know because when I have ordered Lesser, they have not said "That will be 100 GBP extra."

I never said any tailor actually loses money selling Lesser; I said that they lose a little of their profit margin (and usually not very much). And nobody actually say "This costs more but we won't charge you more, so aren't you lucky." I just happen to know the wholesale prices of a lot of cloth, thus I know that in many categories, for the same basic type of goods, Lesser costs more than a competitor. It's not 2x more, typically more like 10-25% or even 50% or so more.

I may have missed something, but why would tailors do this? It seems to make no sense. If it's the best cloth and comes with a premium, why would they eat that premium?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gent
I may have missed something, but why would tailors do this? It seems to make no sense. If it's the best cloth and comes with a premium, why would they eat that premium?

First of all, they don't all do it. But Poole and A&S do. Second, they won't do it for every cloth. If you order Golden Bale or from one of the two Lesser's Super books, you will be upcharged. Those cost substantially more.

I guess they don't think that a 5 or 10 GBP differential is worth an upcharge. Plus--getting back to the premise of this thread--they love Lesser and like to work with it. So why discourage customers from ordering it?

passingtime

Reaction score
This is not quite true. They sometimes do discount old stock. I don't know what % of the time they do, and maybe it is much less than 50%, but it's not unheard of.
They will very occasionally discount a length as a favour to a tailor personally (as opposed to a firm like A&S) but that is across the range rather than any particular line. I checked this with a friend who used to be one of their UK salesmen until recently.

I don't know what the position with Jodek, their US distributor, is as they apply a sizeable mark-up of their own so they have scope to discount without involving Lessers.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, their website is terrible. They are such a backward company that there is really no hope they will ever have a decent online presense. The only hope is that someone will do what AndrewRogers did for Harrison, but don't count on it because Lesser is pretty strict about selling only to tailors.

Thanks Manton; that's what I was worried about. If they would only realize how AndrewRogers could help their business model...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads